February 2014 LSAT Study Group

RobertGolddust

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby RobertGolddust » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Officially joining the thread, I'm in my last year of undergrad and I have been studying the LSAT for two years, on and off. The highest I've ever scored is a 161 on PT 46, but it was, and still is, only the fourth PT I've taken. Anyways, it was suggested to me by a professor to bank a score in undergrad just in case I slow down after college, or become a drunk. So, over my winter break I plan to embark on an intense prep regiment that encompasses Manhattan LR, and at least ten prep tests. In the mean time, amidst eighteen credits, I will be drilling old LG games. Best of luck to myself and everyone in the forum, may our score's beget the feeling Ahab would've had he slain the whale.

PIBB

Postby PIBB » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:41 pm

90convoy wrote:Took PT 43. Went -14 on RC. I've never been close to doing that badly before so I'm kinda starting to worry. The fucked up thing is that yesterday I did a section and went -2! Hopefully this is a fluke because if I can get RC down I will be in 170 land.

BTW on the last passage, which is the one I felt the strongest on, I missed every single one. Yes all of them lol.

Convoy-

I went -14 RC on preptest 43 as well haha. An enormous outlier for me, so I'm hoping pt 44 will yield better results for me tomorrow. Do you think it was a performance problem, or just a difficult rc section? I've drilled all 1-30 RC and have never done so poorly.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:50 pm

PIBB wrote:
90convoy wrote:Took PT 43. Went -14 on RC. I've never been close to doing that badly before so I'm kinda starting to worry. The fucked up thing is that yesterday I did a section and went -2! Hopefully this is a fluke because if I can get RC down I will be in 170 land.

BTW on the last passage, which is the one I felt the strongest on, I missed every single one. Yes all of them lol.

Convoy-

I went -14 RC on preptest 43 as well haha. An enormous outlier for me, so I'm hoping pt 44 will yield better results for me tomorrow. Do you think it was a performance problem, or just a difficult rc section? I've drilled all 1-30 RC and have never done so poorly.

I'm thinking it was just a disconnect between my state of mind and the material on that section. Since then I've never done that poorly so I'm hoping that was a one time thing.

ojalili1990

Postby ojalili1990 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Hey guys, I took October and planning on retaking in Feb or June. Where is the best place to find these Cambridge packets I keep reading about? I took two rounds of a prep course, but I want to develop my own strategy. Are the powerscore Bibles the best along with these Cambridge packets? Please let me know the best/cheapest place to purchase! Thanks

superspaz

Postby superspaz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:09 pm

I'd like to know about these Cambridge drilling packets too! Is it the ones found here? http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/ There are so many options that I am not sure which one to choose, anyone have any recommendations?

I took for the first time in Oct. and scored 167 after studying for 8 months. Was a little bit bummed because I was semi-consistently scoring 170-173 in the weeks leading up to the test, so I guess maybe nerves got in the way on test day. I didn't really spend a lot of time drilling during my prep though - read through the Powerscore Bibles and then just PT'd and reviewed (but probably not enough). Planning to switch up my strategy this time and go through the LSAT Trainer, then spend more time drilling this time around.

gatorchomps

Postby gatorchomps » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:25 pm

LOL--I have the exact same problem with RC, and I'm not sure why my mojo is so off!

When I prepped with the early tests (like 20's and 30's), RC was my best section by far--only missing like 2 or 3 per PT.

Now that I'm taking PTs in the 50's and 60's, I'm missing entire passages.

Also, I'm taking the test in December, but I thought I'd join this thread because I don't think I'm going to reach 170 in a month (PTing around 161-163 right now).

superspaz

Postby superspaz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 pm

gatorchomps wrote:

LOL--I have the exact same problem with RC, and I'm not sure why my mojo is so off!

When I prepped with the early tests (like 20's and 30's), RC was my best section by far--only missing like 2 or 3 per PT.

No, for sure the RC in recent tests has gotten significantly harder. I was going -2, -3 on the earlier tests when I first started studying too and didn't really spend time on this section, then once I hit PT 50+ it was like a shitshow and I started getting -8 to -10 on RC. Went -6 on the real test. Anyone have tips to share re: improving RC? I know it's the most difficult section to improve on... :(

october

Postby october » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:50 pm

superspaz wrote:
gatorchomps wrote:

No, for sure the RC in recent tests has gotten significantly harder. I was going -2, -3 on the earlier tests when I first started studying too and didn't really spend time on this section, then once I hit PT 50+ it was like a shitshow and I started getting -8 to -10 on RC. Went -6 on the real test. Anyone have tips to share re: improving RC? I know it's the most difficult section to improve on... :(

Try this out viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203798&hilit=reading+comp

ballsoharduniversity

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Freaking out right about now. I am nowhere where I need to be for this test and I only have the rest of this month, December, and January. I do awesome on the first 15-16 questions and the final few questions on LR and then get my shit wrecked on the questions in between those. There's always one LG game that takes me way longer than the other 3. RC is either a hit or miss. I NEED to get my timing down but I'm struggling so badly with it.

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Bumping for February awesomeness! Let's do this, people! :twisted:

alecks

Postby alecks » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:01 pm

ballsoharduniversity wrote:Freaking out right about now. I am nowhere where I need to be for this test and I only have the rest of this month, December, and January. I do awesome on the first 15-16 questions and the final few questions on LR and then get my shit wrecked on the questions in between those. There's always one LG game that takes me way longer than the other 3. RC is either a hit or miss. I NEED to get my timing down but I'm struggling so badly with it.

way relax, you've got plenty of time to improve.

also, not exactly thrilled to be taking february but I know I'm not going to magically score 8 points higher in ~2.3 weeks...

Lilly_Liz

Postby Lilly_Liz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:41 am

checking in

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:13 pm

I can't do these freakin' games any faster.

That is all.

:(

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:57 pm

BUMP

Where's everyone at? Both as far as testing and board presence. No February love?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:BUMP

Where's everyone at? Both as far as testing and board presence. No February love?

Agreed, we February takers need to step it up! I hope there's more participation in our waiting thread haha.

ballsoharduniversity

Postby ballsoharduniversity » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 am

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:BUMP

Just drilling LR specific questions (flaw questions can go to hell) and do a section of games every day. Hopefully this isn't all for nothing.

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:14 am

Stuck in the lower 160's, guys. I'm ready to throw these prep books out the window.

I don't even need a perfect score, but reaching 170 sure would be nice.

I hate you, "Most Strongly Supported" and "Weaken" questions.

I'm not speaking to you, either, Necessary Assumptions.

*waves fist in the air*

:evil:

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am

How long have you been studying? I'm at that point after about a month of prep. Relax, though, ... I am. There are still 9 weeks left.

Mauve.Dino wrote:Stuck in the lower 160's, guys. I'm ready to throw these prep books out the window.

I don't even need a perfect score, but reaching 170 sure would be nice.

I hate you, "Most Strongly Supported" and "Weaken" questions.

I'm not speaking to you, either, Necessary Assumptions.

*waves fist in the air*

:evil:

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:03 am

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:How long have you been studying? I'm at that point after about a month of prep. Relax, though, ... I am. There are still 9 weeks left.

I've been studying for two months, already. I consistently score within the 161 - 163 range, and this is after drilling LR/LG quite a bit.

I guess I could try blind reviewing, but I'm not sure how that helps?

DMW723

Postby DMW723 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Checking in here with my first post, this will be my first time taking the LSAT and I'm extremely excited for all of us! I've been studying for a little over a month or so, reading/rereading the LR and LG Bibles and drilling question types for LR. Going to take my first practice test this Wednesday after my exams and final assignments calm down for a little bit.

Good luck to everyone! Let's all make 180s! :mrgreen:

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 am

June 2014 already has 20 pages of discussion.

I think the majority of February test takers are introverts.

<---ridiculously introverted IRL

*hides behind futon*

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:42 am

October 2013 retaker. I think I'll start studying now.

jam313

Postby jam313 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:22 am

Anyone else here taking December 2013 and plan on retaking to improve in Feb?

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Mauve.Dino wrote:June 2014 already has 20 pages of discussion.

I think the majority of February test takers are introverts.

<---ridiculously introverted IRL

*hides behind futon*

The June 2014 thread was also started ridiculously early (in June 2013, haha). Although, I'm also something of an introvert so maybe you have a point, Dino. Honestly though I mostly just don't post in this thread so often because I have bad study habits and have little/nothing to update haha.

So, what scores are we aiming for? Or, if the answer to that is, "180, of course!" then I guess a better question would be, what score would you need not to retake? For me, I'd probably need a 173-174 to definitely not retake, and I'd consider retaking versus not retaking at anything 170+.

cloy26

Postby cloy26 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:52 pm

October '13 retaker as well. I was shooting for December but completely dropped the ball. Realized my foundation of basic LR is severely lacking...

And now I'm here.

:oops:

I've been studying off and on for around two years. I'm shooting for 165 (from 155 in Oct; highest PT 161). I'm decent on LG (-3 to -4 avg; will be -0) but LR destroys me... -8/-14 on October. I've been going through the Manhattan LR book and the Trainer will be here tomorrow.

When does everyone plan on starting PTs? Assuming bookwork/drilling now and then a steady diet of PTs during January?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”