February 2014 LSAT Study Group

xylocarp

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 am

zhenders wrote:
W$RKliveWELL wrote:Morning everyone, more LG drilling today and reviewing PT 65 and LR drilling lol basically drilling of all sorts. Do you guys always drill LG in the cambridge packets timed? Also I found that since my score depends on this sec I have huge anxiety with it anyone do anything special to stay level headed with games I rush, panic and make silly mistakes.

Many of us are definitely feeling the LG anxiety, mate. I know that Xylocarp and I are right there with you lol.

+1. We're all going to kill it on test day though. -0.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 am

zhenders wrote:Ok but for serious: PT66 TIME.

GOAL: 179,

No more than -1 total on LR, -2 MAX on RC, -0 LG.

Here we go.

Best of luck! I predict a 180.

alecks

Postby alecks » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:48 am

Didn't drill that much yesterday and submitted all my apps instead... the Starbucks I go to after work has been super loud and annoying lately and it's been hard for me to concentrate.

I'm bringing a jacket and a blanket so I can study outside. I live in LA so hopefully I won't freeze to death???

Also, I basically want to do every flaw question ever tonight.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:56 am

Here's what I'm hoping for at the least

LG - At least 20 right (-3 at most)
LR - At most -4
RC - At most -5

This would give me at least a 170

Hoping for at least a 175 though if I can get my RC perfect there's a good chance

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Here's what I'm hoping for at the least

LG - At least 20 right (-3 at most)
LR - At most -4
RC - At most -5

This would give me at least a 170

Hoping for at least a 175 though if I can get my RC perfect there's a good chance

Keep working I bet you get it.

Goal for me would be at least 20 right in each sec. Seems simple but easier said then done.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:Morning everyone, more LG drilling today and reviewing PT 65 and LR drilling lol basically drilling of all sorts. Do you guys always drill LG in the cambridge packets timed? Also I found that since my score depends on this sec I have huge anxiety with it anyone do anything special to stay level headed with games I rush, panic and make silly mistakes.

I feel this way with RC.

I think a big factor with lg is not to let it overwhelm you. Don't feel rushed, but work efficiently. Make sure no matter what you always diagram. Don't ever feel super rushed and just jump to the questions. This will really hurt you, unless there are no inferences. Double check your rules bc it will save you time in the long run (instead of realizing half way through that you flipped a rule or something - g...r instead of r...g).

I think a good strategy is try to finish the first two games quickly and then you have more time for the generally harder games (3&4). I try to finish the first in 5 minutes and the second within at least 6-7. I think this helps with the stress factor. Also, don't stay stuck on a question. Leave it and move to the next game. You can always come back. I jump around sometimes and still finish with a little the to check my answers.

I guess my main points are:
Don't get bogged down. Don't panic. Make inferences/ diagram. Work smart and efficiently.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Done bubbling on section 2 with time left; a very happy discovery: for the past 3 tests, I've accidentally had my timer set to 33 minute sections without noticing. So that's cool.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 pm

zhenders wrote:Done bubbling on section 2 with time left; a very happy discovery: for the past 3 tests, I've accidentally had my timer set to 33 minute sections without noticing. So that's cool.

Are you using 7sages timer?

random number

Postby random number » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Do you guys plan on using a watch on gameday? I am debating whether or not to do so and would appreciate any input.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 pm

random number wrote:Do you guys plan on using a watch on gameday? I am debating whether or not to do so and would appreciate any input.

I would definitely consider using a watch. I usually set it to 1125 for the first section and then 12 for the third and then 1125 again for 4 and 5. It helps me focus better. I think you should try it out though. Maybe if you're not used to using one, it won't help.

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Nicolena. wrote:

I feel this way with RC.

I think a big factor with lg is not to let it overwhelm you. Don't feel rushed, but work efficiently. Make sure no matter what you always diagram. Don't ever feel super rushed and just jump to the questions. This will really hurt you, unless there are no inferences. Double check your rules bc it will save you time in the long run (instead of realizing half way through that you flipped a rule or something - g...r instead of r...g).

I think a good strategy is try to finish the first two games quickly and then you have more time for the generally harder games (3&4). I try to finish the first in 5 minutes and the second within at least 6-7. I think this helps with the stress factor. Also, don't stay stuck on a question. Leave it and move to the next game. You can always come back. I jump around sometimes and still finish with a little the to check my answers.

Don't get bogged down. Don't panic. Make inferences/ diagram. Work smart and efficiently.

Thanks so much. I try to implement the strategy of getting the first 2 done quickly but I'm more of a brute when it comes to getting games done meaning working through a bunch of hypotheticals and clearly not making enough inferences but I'm working on that.

random number

Postby random number » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Nicolena. wrote:
random number wrote:Do you guys plan on using a watch on gameday? I am debating whether or not to do so and would appreciate any input.

I would definitely consider using a watch. I usually set it to 1125 for the first section and then 12 for the third and then 1125 again for 4 and 5. It helps me focus better. I think you should try it out though. Maybe if you're not used to using one, it won't help.

That's a good idea concerning the timing - I was worried about having to constantly reset it. My other fear is that the watch will be distracting, particularly on LG. When I have used a watch (I generally use the timer on my phone), I feel a ton of pressure to finish each game in 8:45 and end up unnecessarily rushed if I fall behind.

pech71

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:14 pm

There is supposed to be a snow storm next friday into saturday in the DC area. Not sure if this will delay the test day but just annoying to even think about the possibility.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:17 pm

random number wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:

That's a good idea concerning the timing - I was worried about having to constantly reset it. My other fear is that the watch will be distracting, particularly on LG. When I have used a watch (I generally use the timer on my phone), I feel a ton of pressure to finish each game in 8:45 and end up unnecessarily rushed if I fall behind.

I really think it's bad to think you're going to finish every game in that alotted time. I think there's always an easier game and one much harder. I've seen my time pattern go 5-7-7-10.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:19 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:

I feel this way with RC.

Thanks so much. I try to implement the strategy of getting the first 2 done quickly but I'm more of a brute when it comes to getting games done meaning working through a bunch of hypotheticals and clearly not making enough inferences but I'm working on that.

If you want I wouldn't mind going over a few games and I can see if I can fine tune your approach. Just let me know - pm me.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Nicolena. wrote:

I feel this way with RC.

Your RC analysis is right on point.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Definitely using a watch.... But I'm a little ashamed to say I bought a 180 watch (although USPS lost it the first time they shipped it -- wtf). It should be waiting for me in the states when I get back.

On break. 66 feeling good; LG wer not bad -- game 2 felt tough (linear sequencing) but overall so far so good.

Break, muffin, then the home stretch.

And yes, 7sage timer. I was using the Kaplan timer at first, but it has this HORRIBLE bug where sometimes it starts going double-time.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:23 pm

pech71 wrote:There is supposed to be a snow storm next friday into saturday in the DC area. Not sure if this will delay the test day but just annoying to even think about the possibility.

That actually happened to me in December. It stressed me out and I wish I wouldn't have. Granted I did have to switch to February bc of the holidays but Everything worked out for the best. I feel much more confident now. Realize if you get a delayed test then it's extra time to go over a few concepts. The test is undisclosed anyways.

random number

Postby random number » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Looks like I need to go buy a watch this weekend then. I don't think that I have owned a watch (at least not an analog one) since elementary school. :) I had borrowed a roommate's for one PT, but I want to get a new one that I can rely on.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Keep working I bet you get it.

Goal for me would be at least 20 right in each sec. Seems simple but easier said then done.

I changed up how I'm studying. Instead of drilling tests I'm drilling sections (Games and LR/RC every other day) 2 PT's before the tests

I think my biggest fear now is what game types are we going to get

I know what to expect in LR and RC but LG has a lot of possibilities

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

random number wrote:Looks like I need to go buy a watch this weekend then. I don't think that I have owned a watch (at least not an analog one) since elementary school. :) I had borrowed a roommate's for one PT, but I want to get a new one that I can rely on.

So there's a lot of advice about this -- apparently, there exists a cheap ($15) Casio that is a great lsat watch, in that it has a rotating bezel (which allows you to simply turn the face of the watch, which is marked with minutes, to reset it back to zero in under a second).

I'd poke around -- I bet you anything Wal mart has something with a rotating bezel that would be perfect.

Ok. 3 minutes until break's over. Here we goooooo

random number

Postby random number » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Nicolena. wrote:
pech71 wrote:There is supposed to be a snow storm next friday into saturday in the DC area. Not sure if this will delay the test day but just annoying to even think about the possibility.

That actually happened to me in December. It stressed me out and I wish I wouldn't have. Granted I did have to switch to February bc of the holidays but Everything worked out for the best. I feel much more confident now. Realize if you get a delayed test then it's extra time to go over a few concepts. The test is undisclosed anyways.

What does it normally take for LSAC to delay a test? Does it depend on whether or not the proctors can show up/the materials can be delivered, or will they call it ahead of time? I would guess that the conditions necessary are dependent on geographic region (e.g. it will take a lot more snow to cancel a Northern center vs a Southern one).

Edit: Just realized that this post is halfway to a LR question :)

pech71

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm

random number wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:

What does it normally take for LSAC to delay a test? Does it depend on whether or not the proctors can show up/the materials can be delivered, or will they call it ahead of time? I would guess that the conditions necessary are dependent on geographic region (e.g. it will take a lot more snow to cancel a Northern center vs a Southern one).

like living in atlanta and the world ending with an inch of snow......not sure how that happens but yes it depends on how people can commute to testing facilities.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:35 pm

pech71 wrote:
random number wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:

like living in atlanta and the world ending with an inch of snow......not sure how that happens but yes it depends on how people can commute to testing facilities.

Honestly I think it all depends on the testing center. I know my TC was closed and that's why it got canceled. They closed the whole university from Friday to Monday.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:09 pm

hey guys. ive been lurking this thread for a while. seeing that yall share my struggles has helped me. I have been studying like the rest of you, as in like a maniac. I have taken every PT between 48-64 in the past 18 days. My average is a 167.4. Its ok. My best is a 174, and a 170. My plan is to do 65-70 in between now and test day, and perhaps some more drilling.

BUT anyway what do you guys think about bubbling??? do you after each question, or do you bubble after each page/game/passage? Also...man my brain is FRIED. i feel fucking tired as shit. i cant sleep at night because im so anxious and if im not in an LSAT prep book, drilling, or PTing in THINKING about a question i missed etc. How do yall deal with this? and what do yall think about a diurnal rythym? Should i be waking up and PTing at say 830 - 9 AM everyday to simulate test day, and get my body used to it?

lastly, thanks a lot guys. youve all helped me a ton just by speaking up on this stuff. we will all get 180s. fuck an lsat. shit aint got nothin on us. its predictable and we have seen everything. there will be no surprises. a test is a test is a test. thats all it is. our minds are agile, prepared, and well-equipped to tackle this fucking thing. our brains > test maker brains. all in for the 180.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”