February 2014 LSAT Study Group

90convoy

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 pm

BankruptMe wrote:This may be a stupid question..

But in LG, there is only one correct answer, right? It isnt like LR where there could be 2 possible right answers that sound right?

I ask this because I am working though a game. If I work through everything I have done, and A meets the requirements, I am scared to just mark A and not even look at the rest :(

There is only one correct answer in LR and LG. Sometimes questions in LR have two attractive answer choices, but thats where eliminating answer choices comes into play.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 pm

But in LG, there is only one correct answer, right? It isnt like LR where there could be 2 possible right answers that sound right?

I ask this because I am working though a game. If I work through everything I have done, and A meets the requirements, I am scared to just mark A and not even look at the rest :(

This is tricky. This is actually the way I miss most of the LG questions that I miss. I've been working through how to keep from missing these, while also not sacrificing the time gained from moving on quickly.

I think perhaps the happy medium -- and something I'm going to implement on the remainder of my tests and LG practice sessions -- is that if an early answer jumps out at you, and it feels strongly right, be ready to circle it -- but step back for 10 seconds and make sure that you are applying all of the rules to it properly. I find that it's super-easy for confirmation bias to affect these types of LG questions -- if i feel strongly about an answer, I'm much more likely to miss how a rule applies to and negates it, then I am to do that same thing when I'm deliberately going through and checking each of the 5 choices.

In short: do what you're doing, and if it looks right go for it -- but do NOT move past it before you've double and maybe even triple-checked that all of the rules AND your game board's inferences permit it.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:58 pm

Which game is this?

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Really depends on the stem.

If something MBF, then the certain answer could be true in that case.

But to answer you're question, there will ONLY be one answer. The stem will dictate what is right and what is wrong.

Ex:

A->B->F->G->H->P

If B is in and an answer choice says P is in, then just mark it and move on.

A being in CBT, CBF, but doesn't need to be true.
Last edited by unodostres on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 pm

zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:Flaw bundle or PT15-S3-Q19

I Don't see how A is correct over C :oops: This is one of those-i don't see how this is the correct answer, and why C is wrong.

Zhenders, help please :mrgreen:

Okay, here we go: PT15-S3-Q19.

So we're looking for the flaw in the reasoning. This is a tricky flaw question, because flaw questions rarely turn up on "conversation" questions. Luckily, Althea's statement points out that there is a logical flaw, and kind of refers back to it.

So Thomas' argument is that the club president had no right to disallow Jeffrey's vote, because the club rules say that only members in good standing can vote. The flaw is actually right here: the club rules say that only members in good standing can vote -- not that all members in good standing can vote. Put into standard LSAT terms, it is a necessary condition of voting that the member is in good standing, but not sufficient.

So that's the flaw; let's go to the answers. If we're only torn between A and C, we'll just look at those.

A ends up being right, because -- using different words, granted -- it gets at the flaw the best. Thomas is arguing that because the club rules don't prohibit Jeffrey from voting, he should be allowed to. However, he fails to take into account that there may be some other reason that justifies his not being allowed to vote. Thus, A.

C ends up being wrong -- even though it kind of feels right -- because it focuses on the wrong thing. The central issue here is Jeffrey's right to vote. Answer choice C, on the other hand, is talking about the fact that the club president admitted that the club rules define good standing a particular way. If we refer back to the flaw, though, we can see that the problem isn't that Jeffrey isn't in good standing -- perhaps he is! -- the issue is that being in good standing is not sufficient to guarantee a club member's right to vote.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you soooo much on your help! This helped a lot!!! :wink:

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:18 pm

zhenders wrote:

This is tricky. This is actually the way I miss most of the LG questions that I miss. I've been working through how to keep from missing these, while also not sacrificing the time gained from moving on quickly.

I think perhaps the happy medium -- and something I'm going to implement on the remainder of my tests and LG practice sessions -- is that if an early answer jumps out at you, and it feels strongly right, be ready to circle it -- but step back for 10 seconds and make sure that you are applying all of the rules to it properly. I find that it's super-easy for confirmation bias to affect these types of LG questions -- if i feel strongly about an answer, I'm much more likely to miss how a rule applies to and negates it, then I am to do that same thing when I'm deliberately going through and checking each of the 5 choices.

In short: do what you're doing, and if it looks right go for it -- but do NOT move past it before you've double and maybe even triple-checked that all of the rules AND your game board's inferences permit it.

See when that happens, I go and check all the other answer choices to see if it look good compared to others. I guess that is a flaw that I need to work on.

Actually, I do the same thing with LR. That wastes alot of time

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:24 pm

If you choose a LG answer, it has to be because you KNOW it's right. In my mind that's the big difference between it and LR -- you can be unsure but make reasonable guesses -- with LG you can't do that.

LG answer choices are more like multiple-choice math questions: one or two answer choices may obviously be wrong, but at least 2 are answers that you might LOGICALLY think are right, if you miss a rule.

With that said, while eliminating the others is a good idea, if you KNOW an answer is right -- and you have double checked it -- the others aren't worth looking at.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm soooo super excited right now!

I just had that "ahhhaaaa" moment where i realized that all the drilling finally payed off. I totally managed to answer a question correctly that I would have usually always answer incorrectly. I knew the answer was correct, and i knew why. Drilling totally paid off! I can't believe it how excited i am right now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also, is anyone watching state of the union tonight?

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Miracle wrote:I'm soooo super excited right now!

I just had that "ahhhaaaa" moment where i realized that all the drilling finally payed off. I totally managed to answer a question correctly that I would have usually always answer incorrectly. I knew the answer was correct, and i knew why. Drilling totally paid off! I can't believe it how excited i am right now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's so great :) congrats.

And yes, I hope to -- if not ill watch the recording in the morning :-)

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. Going through LG, have not missed a question since. Once a question meets the requirements, I just circle it and keep moving. saving time.

I think i can do this next saturday. :shock:

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Miracle wrote:I'm soooo super excited right now!

Awesome!! I hope to reach that moment with LG sometime in the next... week and a half.

I will be drilling tonight during the state of the union. I'll probably read an article about it at work or in class at some point when I couldn't be studying :?

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 pm

waking up early and doing two tests tomorrow

Watching videos for all the games I do here on out

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Gunna wake early tomorrow and warm up with a rc passage. Then 65.

Bought a ps4. Ha. Not gunna open it till after the exam.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:36 pm

unodostres wrote:Gunna wake early tomorrow and warm up with a rc passage. Then 65.

Bought a ps4. Ha. Not gunna open it till after the exam.

You best hold to that! That's some serious Pandora's box shit -- I'd have to take it to a friend's house or something.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 pm

How fast does everyone get through an RC reading ?

2 minutes and 15 seconds and idk if I should be doing it faster

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:57 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:How fast does everyone get through an RC reading ?

I'd never timed myself but I just tried it out and got 1:45. I don't underline or make any markings though.

random number

Postby random number » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:How fast does everyone get through an RC reading ?

It really depends, but 2ish minutes seems reasonable (especially if you are accurate). In my experience though, I found that I took a bit longer than normal on gameday because I end up rechecking answers more than I do on PTs. I usually have 3-5 minutes, but if I find the passages interesting I can have up to 15 minutes left (reading comp is my favorite section).

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Question 213 (Flaw packet) or PT28-S3-Q20.

How is the correct answer B. In my opinion all of the choices are flawed.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:14 pm

Miracle wrote:Question 213 (Flaw packet) or PT28-S3-Q20.

How is the correct answer B. In my opinion all of the choices are flawed.

Well it's looking for the one answer that doesn't point out a flaw. My first instinct reading the question was that the claim "humans are no better than apes at investing" was a SUPER broad claim to make based on this one experiment with five humans and one ape. A, B and D all address that. E addresses the fact that one month probably isn't long enough to decide who's the best investor. B, the right answer, doesn't point out a flaw because it's just not relevant. The claim isn't that apes can understand or make reasoned decisions about investing, just that they might be the same or better than humans at it.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:28 pm

How do you guys time LG when you're not doing full sections as they appear in PTs? I feel like when I do full sections it's okay if I take really long on one game as long as I finish another in a very short amount of time, but I don't know how to time myself meaningfully when the games are out of context.

Postby 10052014 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 pm

xylocarp wrote:How do you guys time LG when you're not doing full sections as they appear in PTs? I feel like when I do full sections it's okay if I take really long on one game as long as I finish another in a very short amount of time, but I don't know how to time myself meaningfully when the games are out of context.

I usually only give myself max 8 minutes, but if I take a little longer on game 3-4, I realize its probably the hard game. I usually finish the first game within 5-6 minutes.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:51 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:The same 4 people post

:oops:

jaylawyer09 wrote:You guys will rock on game day. 8)

:mrgreen:

I wish iPhone emojis worked on TLS

just a thought

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:55 pm

- 7 on RC

20/27 every damn time and the worst part is I underline the correct answer then second guess it and circle the wrong one

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm

I have to wonder 2 things:

Will POTUS bench slap SCOTUS again this year?

And, will Justice Ginsberg fall asleep during a third state of the union?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”