February 2014 LSAT Study Group

90convoy

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Postby 90convoy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
90convoy wrote:So I'm taking a PT today (my third one total) and I realize that for some reason I'm sucking really bad and can't really concentrate. So I stopped after the first 2 sections and then graded what I had. -14 on LG. What the fuck!? My diagnostic TWO MONTHS AGO wasn't even that bad. Should I just give up? Also on LR I went -8 on one of the sections which is also worse than my diagnostic.

what have you been reading? manahattan?

if so, have you been drilling along with them?

what else?

I read the manhattan LR and LG book. For LR, I would read a chapter one day then the next day skim over the chapter again and do about 20 questions corresponding to the type I just learned. For LG I pretty much just spent two days per chapter and did all the LGs from tests 21-40.

Usually, for me, level 1 and 2 games are gimmies and I can do level 3 and 4 games perfectly in under 20 minutes. Every once in a while I'll get stumped and have to go on 7sage though.

I will say though, I experimented with caffeine during this test, but I can't see how that would affect me negatively.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 pm

90convoy wrote:So I'm taking a PT today (my third one total) and I realize that for some reason I'm sucking really bad and can't really concentrate. So I stopped after the first 2 sections and then graded what I had. -14 on LG. What the fuck!? My diagnostic TWO MONTHS AGO wasn't even that bad. Should I just give up? Also on LR I went -8 on one of the sections which is also worse than my diagnostic.

The problem, in my opinion, is that you haven't incorporated the time factor in your study, which is fine right now. The fact that you have only 35 minutes per section is not something you're used to yet, and that makes the Games especially frustrating. Don't worry. Continue drilling, and before you move on to full length tests, take individual sections timed first.

politibro44

Postby politibro44 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Took my diagnostic today. Without counting time I got a 162 w/ -3 on RC, which was a pleasant surprise. However, LG was a nightmare. I somehow got lucky on a few guesses and ended up with -6. My problem was I didn't know how to diagram grouping games...so I was just working things out in my head, but it was slow and stressful. LR felt fairly good, went -7,-6 so I had some consistency at least. Some of those I just blew through and others left me scratching my head.

I went about 7-9 minutes over all sections, except games where I was like 15 minutes over. I second the above opinion. I can see that once incorporating strict time limits things will get much harder.

Going to keep plugging away in the LSAT Trainer and do a review session of the test tomorrow. Need to chill out for the rest of the evening.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:16 pm

politibro44 wrote:Took my diagnostic today. Without counting time I got a 162 w/ -3 on RC, which was a pleasant surprise. However, LG was a nightmare. I somehow got lucky on a few guesses and ended up with -6. My problem was I didn't know how to diagram grouping games...so I was just working things out in my head, but it was slow and stressful. LR felt fairly good, went -7,-6 so I had some consistency at least. Some of those I just blew through and others left me scratching my head.

I went about 7-9 minutes over all sections, except games where I was like 15 minutes over. I second the above opinion. I can see that once incorporating strict time limits things will get much harder.

Going to keep plugging away in the LSAT Trainer and do a review session of the test tomorrow. Need to chill out for the rest of the evening.

congrats on the solid start!

cglw124

Postby cglw124 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Motivator9 wrote:
cglw124 wrote:Finished both bibles (in two weeks, while working full time)~ Now trying to get through Manhattan's RC guide.
Drilling to begin this weekend. Wish me luck~

Are you getting the Manhattan LR And LG books as well? Those are gold.

Have both, but haven't started them yet. Trying to figure out my weaknesses before starting the Manhattan series.

Are you, or anyone, finding that logic games are fun. If I'm stressing about LR I do a logic game to uplift my mood.

PIBB

Postby PIBB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Checking in.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:24 pm

cglw124 wrote:
Motivator9 wrote:
cglw124 wrote:Finished both bibles (in two weeks, while working full time)~ Now trying to get through Manhattan's RC guide.
Drilling to begin this weekend. Wish me luck~

Are you getting the Manhattan LR And LG books as well? Those are gold.

Have both, but haven't started them yet. Trying to figure out my weaknesses before starting the Manhattan series.

Are you, or anyone, finding that logic games are fun. If I'm stressing about LR I do a logic game to uplift my mood.

Heck ya, love the games. However, my focus has heavily been on LR lately because I trying to get a better understanding of the patterns that appear in that section. Drill baby drill.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Okay, so after the disaster that I had yesterday I decided to take another PT today (my 4th one total). I got a 162 which was my first score in the 160s! This is the first time I've ever felt like I actually improved so I'm pretty excited. I went -4LG -5LR -5LR and -9RC. I'm not too worried about RC yet because I have never drilled RC and that was only the 4th RC passage I've ever seen.

Also, I finished the RC section 5 minutes early. Is that indication that I'm rushing?

Postby 10052014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:08 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
90convoy wrote:Okay, so after the disaster that I had yesterday I decided to take another PT today (my 4th one total). I got a 162 which was my first score in the 160s! This is the first time I've ever felt like I actually improved so I'm pretty excited. I went -4LG -5LR -5LR and -9RC. I'm not too worried about RC yet because I have never drilled RC and that was only the 4th RC passage I've ever seen.

Also, I finished the RC section 5 minutes early. Is that indication that I'm rushing?

Well, it depends

Do you understand the passage fully?

if not, you are rushing. Slow down and understand/internalise the structure of the passage and you will increase ur number of correct answers

I understand the science passages the most. Thats where I really make up time. I just feel like there are diminished returns on having a time bank with RC compared to other sections. Like having a couple minutes on RC doesn't really help me because when I go back and do questions that *'ed I don't even remember what the passage was about.

PIBB

Postby PIBB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Just finished Manhattan LG. Does anybody rigidly apply their grouping methods? I'm having a hard time classifying games according to their strategies. Anybody else feel this way?

Postby 10052014 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PIBB

Postby PIBB » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:46 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
90convoy wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
90convoy wrote:Okay, so after the disaster that I had yesterday I decided to take another PT today (my 4th one total). I got a 162 which was my first score in the 160s! This is the first time I've ever felt like I actually improved so I'm pretty excited. I went -4LG -5LR -5LR and -9RC. I'm not too worried about RC yet because I have never drilled RC and that was only the 4th RC passage I've ever seen.

Well, it depends

Do you understand the passage fully?

if not, you are rushing. Slow down and understand/internalise the structure of the passage and you will increase ur number of correct answers

I understand the science passages the most. Thats where I really make up time. I just feel like there are diminished returns on having a time bank with RC compared to other sections. Like having a couple minutes on RC doesn't really help me because when I go back and do questions that *'ed I don't even remember what the passage was about.

Read the manhattan Rc and PS rc.

I read them, then drilled RC for a month, doing all of 1-40 rc.

now its -2 avrge all the way

jaylawyer-

do you use all the notations advocated by the rc bible?

Postby 10052014 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:14 pm

I agree. I just started the manhattan book a couple days ago and I'm already starting to develop my own way of doing things. RC is really just about throughly understanding the main idea in the passage and making good inferences.

kennedy

Postby kennedy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Does anyone have any resources that helped them for necessary and sufficient assumptions? Sufficients completely kill me, and while my necessaries are perfect for those that are easy, I get murdered in anything more difficult.

PIBB

Postby PIBB » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:30 pm

kennedy wrote:Does anyone have any resources that helped them for necessary and sufficient assumptions? Sufficients completely kill me, and while my necessaries are perfect for those that are easy, I get murdered in anything more difficult.

For assumption questions generally, I would suggest picking up Manhattan LR as well as LSAT trainer. I was not able to quickly and thoroughly understand them until I read Manhattan. I'm going through the trainer now and it seems even better.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Question for those who used LGB: are the last few games of the book objectively easier than some of the earlier ones, specifically the last set of games at the end of Chapter 8? I'm wondering if I'm actually improving or if those are just easier, since I don't have much experience with games outside of the book so I'm not a good judge of relative difficulty yet. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks :mrgreen:

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Took PT 43. Went -14 on RC. I've never been close to doing that badly before so I'm kinda starting to worry. The fucked up thing is that yesterday I did a section and went -2! Hopefully this is a fluke because if I can get RC down I will be in 170 land.

BTW on the last passage, which is the one I felt the strongest on, I missed every single one. Yes all of them lol.

modernista

Postby modernista » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm starting with a 150 cold diagnostic. Is getting a 168+ possible? LR: 16/25 & 12/25, LG: 14/23, and RC: 17/27. The LR is kicking my ass. If at all possible, I feel the RC section makes one feel like they need to learn how to read again.

It feels like the large majority of you started with a 160+. Any advice for those of us who aren't as gifted?

mitch1010

Postby mitch1010 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:14 am

I've been studying with Manhattan LR and LGB for about one month, and I took a diagnostic yesterday, scored 172, guess i'm seeing progress :D
looking forward to the discussion cycle!

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Took PT #44 today. Went -2 in LG which is my personal best! I think I'm going to get Blueprint LG and do all of PTs 1-20 timed with blind review to kinda seal the deal with the games. Since #44 had very traditional games I'm not going to get too excited with the -2 though.

Also, has anyone tried the Memory Method for RC from 7sage? I just watched the video today and it seemed like something worth looking into. Especially since RC is consistently my weakest section.

pobsy

Postby pobsy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 am

Checking in! Loonngg time lurker and first time poster after completely bombing the Oct LSAT. Delaying prep until my exams get over mid November though. A solid 3 months should do it for Feb 2014 hopefully!

crazyvix

Postby crazyvix » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:05 am

90convoy wrote:Took PT #44 today. Went -2 in LG which is my personal best! I think I'm going to get Blueprint LG and do all of PTs 1-20 timed with blind review to kinda seal the deal with the games. Since #44 had very traditional games I'm not going to get too excited with the -2 though.

Also, has anyone tried the Memory Method for RC from 7sage? I just watched the video today and it seemed like something worth looking into. Especially since RC is consistently my weakest section.

Memory Method from 7sage is basically the same as all other methods with one additional part for phase one: write it down on another piece of paper. It turned out to be very helpful to me even if it was quite time consuming at the very beginning, but you'll get used to it later! After practicing with this method for about 2 sections of RC, I now score consistently -2, which is already a big progress for me since I always scored -6 to -8 before! Nonetheless, you should still try it yourself and see whether it fits you, if not, try another one until you find what works best for you! Good luck, and I've already sent a group email to you, check it out!

sunsrule17

Postby sunsrule17 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:17 pm

pobsy wrote:Checking in! Loonngg time lurker and first time poster after completely bombing the Oct LSAT. Delaying prep until my exams get over mid November though. A solid 3 months should do it for Feb 2014 hopefully!

I'm in a similar position. Didn't do too well on October, retaking in February. Looking to discuss questions/ strategies with all those interested.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”