February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
xylocarp

Platinum

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by xylocarp » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 am

Miracle wrote:The phrase "it presupposes what it attempts to prove" always gets me. I looked it up in manhattan LR under abstract language however they don't have any examples of it.

Would someone elaborate on it for me. Provide me with an example of what is meant by it? It always gets me.
I've always interpreted it to just mean it uses circular reasoning.
ETA: A --> B, B --> C, C --> A, so A is true.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 am

Miracle wrote:The phrase "it presupposes what it attempts to prove" always gets me. I looked it up in manhattan LR under abstract language however they don't have any examples of it.

Would someone elaborate on it for me. Provide me with an example of what is meant by it? It always gets me.
I thought this meant the flaw is that it's assuming the conclusion, meaning they aren't covering the gap.

Like A-->B and C-->D. Thus, B -->D.

Edit: I guess what I stated above is wrong. I didn't know this, so I'm glad you brought it up. Click the link. There are some examples. It looks like it is circular reasoning (using a conclusion as a premise - there is no support).

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/276 ... -Reasoning

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:43 am

Example:

The Earth revolves around the sun, because its elliptical orbit takes 365 days to complete.

"Revolves around the sun" and "its elliptical orbit" are the same thing. If we are trying to PROVE that the Earth revolves around the sun, this is totally insufficient; while true, the part after "because" is just a restatement, and doesn't actually answer anything.

Another example: a mother asks her daughter, "why are you cutting your G.I. Joe's hair into a mullet?" And the girl replies, "because."

Put a final way, the reason why you are tall is not that you are tall; that's just a restatement -- a presupposition -- of what you're trying to prove. The reason might be, "because both of my parents are tall and I have their genes."

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 am

Nicolena. wrote:

I thought this meant the flaw is that it's assuming the conclusion, meaning they aren't covering the gap.

Like A-->B and C-->D. Thus, B -->D.

Edit: I guess what I stated above is wrong. I didn't know this, so I'm gliad you brought it up. Click the link. There are some examples. It looks like it is circular reasoning (using a conclusion as a premise - there is no support).

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/276 ... -Reasoning

Ok. I will :)

The powerscore explanation helped. Love powerscore!! :)))

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am

zhenders wrote:Example:

The Earth revolves around the sun, because its elliptical orbit takes 365 days to complete.

"Revolves around the sun" and "its elliptical orbit" are the same thing. If we are trying to PROVE that the Earth revolves around the sun, this is totally insufficient; while true, the part after "because" is just a restatement, and doesn't actually answer anything.

Another example: a mother asks her daughter, "why are you cutting your G.I. Joe's hair into a mullet?" And the girl replies, "because."

Put a final way, the reason why you are tall is not that you are tall; that's just a restatement -- a presupposition -- of what you're trying to prove. The reason might be, "because both of my parents are tall and I have their genes."
Thank you :)) I knew I could count on you. :))

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:06 pm

I wish it were acceptable to study at work... :?

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:32 pm

After 5 weeks of studying the 7sage course and practice tests..I completely took the weekend off from studying and honestly it felt great. I feel really refreshed and ready to bang out the last 12 days of studying!!

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Time off has helped me so much more than tons of studying... Something I definitely didn't utilize the first time around.

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:57 pm

I just got a 167 on PT 62 this cant be real I've jumped from a 158 to a 161 to a 167 in my last 3 PTs the only ones I've taken in about 3 months. feels really weird :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 pm

xylocarp wrote:I wish it were acceptable to study at work... :?
I'm sneaking it in right now.

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:21 pm

I wish. At my old job I used to have a dungeon/back office that literally nobody would ever come to, so I would study at work basically half the day (easy job), but now I've got a really open desk and I wouldn't be surprised if someone was reading this as a type it. Stupid open office spaces.

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Do you guys have a lot of fresh PTs left? I'm a retake so I've only got PT70 left new, and I also have (4) other tests I'm retaking that don't seem familiar because they're from a while ago, but still. Kind of nervous about that but we'll see how I fare this week :) I'm going to do one Tues/Thurs Sat/Sun (this week) and then Wednesday before the test will be my last PT... figured I'd do some timed sections / games redo on Thursday and then take Friday off entirely.

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:31 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:I just got a 167 on PT 62 this cant be real I've jumped from a 158 to a 161 to a 167 in my last 3 PTs the only ones I've taken in about 3 months. feels really weird :shock:

That's awesome.

I would definitely take at least 4-5+ more PTs before the test though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Nicolena. wrote:
W$RKliveWELL wrote:I just got a 167 on PT 62 this cant be real I've jumped from a 158 to a 161 to a 167 in my last 3 PTs the only ones I've taken in about 3 months. feels really weird :shock:

That's awesome.

I would definitely take at least 4-5+ more PTs before the test though.
Thanks so much. I was going to try to get 9 more exams in before test day right now I know I will stay in the 6-9 exam range and just continuing with drilling. I'm to scared their all flukes to slow down my prep anyway

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:47 pm

alecks wrote:
I wish. At my old job I used to have a dungeon/back office that literally nobody would ever come to, so I would study at work basically half the day (easy job), but now I've got a really open desk and I wouldn't be surprised if someone was reading this as a type it. Stupid open office spaces.
Sometimes i wonder the same thing. how much control do i have over the computer lol. My manager gets sooo super upset if he catches me studying, so I have to sneak it in. I have cameras all around me as well, but I still try to study if the day is slow.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Congrats!! That's fantastic!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Miracle wrote:
alecks wrote:
Sometimes i wonder the same thing. how much control do i have over the computer lol. My manager gets sooo super upset if he catches me studying, so I have to sneak it in. I have cameras all around me as well, but I still try to study if the day is slow.
Whoa, cameras? :shock:
I utilize the Chrome incognito window for TLS haha... but no way could I pull off actually studying while at work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:03 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Miracle wrote:
alecks wrote:
Whoa, cameras? :shock:
I utilize the Chrome incognito window for TLS haha... but no way could I pull off actually studying while at work.
I work at the financial institution.
Last edited by Miracle on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Checking in (rather belatedly)

How is everyone approaching these last two weeks?

I was originally planning on taking a PT every day through the Thursday before the test, thinking that it would make the actual test feel normal. However, I am now wondering if a rest day or two (with some LG practice) would be useful.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:24 pm

alecks wrote:Do you guys have a lot of fresh PTs left? I'm a retake so I've only got PT70 left new, and I also have (4) other tests I'm retaking that don't seem familiar because they're from a while ago, but still. Kind of nervous about that but we'll see how I fare this week :) I'm going to do one Tues/Thurs Sat/Sun (this week) and then Wednesday before the test will be my last PT... figured I'd do some timed sections / games redo on Thursday and then take Friday off entirely.
I've heard it suggested that the best thing to do in this case is to force yourself to eliminate incorrect answers (especially in LG and LR where you will are more likely to have the time to do so) in order to minimize the effects of remembered answers.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:33 pm

Miracle wrote:
Ah, that makes sense then
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:41 pm

xylocarp wrote:
Miracle wrote:
Ah, that makes sense then
Currently I'm working on my weaken bundle. Lol I take two three pages at the time ...mix them with the rest of my paper work do them put them back in my purse, and due the next two-three.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Woke up with a fever. Taking the day off completely and hitting nyquil. I actually might do 1 LR section and 1 LG section to stay sharp.

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:03 pm

90convoy wrote:Woke up with a fever. Taking the day off completely and hitting nyquil. I actually might do 1 LR section and 1 LG section to stay sharp.
Noooo, that's the worst! but maybe a day off will be beneficial.

Also, are any of you guys using your score to apply for this year's cycle or am I the only one :shock:

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:05 pm

alecks wrote:
90convoy wrote:Woke up with a fever. Taking the day off completely and hitting nyquil. I actually might do 1 LR section and 1 LG section to stay sharp.
Noooo, that's the worst! but maybe a day off will be beneficial.

Also, are any of you guys using your score to apply for this year's cycle or am I the only one :shock:
Trust me it sucks so bad to get sick. Being sick on test day has been a mortal fear of mine thats why I am taking it easy.

And to answer that, nope. Next cycle!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”