February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Miracle

Silver

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by Miracle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
jmjm wrote:
There's no time to do it again or read whole paragraphs over twice. If I've done a good job with a passage, I rarely if ever have to refer back. I also circle questions I'm really unsure of the first time, but then I go back at the end of that passage's questions instead of at the end of the section like I do for LR.
I've tried a few RC approaches. Initially I used to read slowly but thoroughly but that invariably led to running out of time. 4 minutes to do the first read of the passage was getting to be too slow to finish the section in time. So I've been focusing on trying to read very fast and referring back to the passage when answering questions. The reason is that there are going to be questions in 60s RC that will require one to refer back. In older RC one could do the first read of the passage thoroughly and be reasonably certain that one could fly through the questions. I see that happening less and less often in recent rc. It leads to a relatively large variance and less consistency in my recent rc scores.

Some people suggest that reducing sub vocalization is effective. I'd be interested to know if that could help.
Another suggestion I've heard is to try to do first 2 passages much faster than the rest of the test because they're supposed to be easier but not sure if there is any truth to it.
I agree with what people were saying earlier, that RC is very much about what works for each individual. For me, reading in-depth the first time is a strategy that just sort of naturally developed over time. I haven't tried any other methods, but I haven't had insurmountable difficulties with this one, so I'm sticking with it. Might try something new if I retake.

Minimizing sub-vocalization can definitely help speed-reading, but my understanding is that it takes training and practice (probably more than can be done in the next few days). I have a feeling that if you're just consciously trying to do this in the moment without said practice, you're going to end up wasting your mental energies focusing on that, which could end up being quite counter-productive. That said, I've never even tried it so I really can't say for sure.
+1

My approach toward RC is different than xylo's; it is the "who gives a damn about the subject" philosophy. Tough word? IDGAF; this isn't a vocab test (it would be a very flawed exam if the questions asked us about the meanings of obscure words). The only thing on my mind is "why is the author telling me this?" -- "oh, it's because he disagrees with the supposed experts - noted!" At first none of this clicked and it did take some time for this technique to work (read: for me to master RC).

Another point: strict time keeping methods are useless, IME. Don't hate yourself if it takes you 3:30 minutes to read a passage. At the same time though, don't take extra time reading only to understand the fine details. If a question wants to know about details, it will refer back to the line numbers. THAT is when you pick over each word; not in the first read.
+1 that was my issue.

When i started doing read com. i followed the method you cannot take 4 minutes to read a passage. Nonsense. If you rush through it its pointless…

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:06 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Just completed PT 70

I got a 167

LR 1: -3
RC: -6 (ouch)
LG: -2 (Screwed up on an easy answer in the first game)
LR 2: -4

Idk why but I found the second LR section to have a lot of questions that had multiple answers that seemed correct
It was a very difficult section
Good job!!! :))

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I want at least a 170, so idk how I feel about the 167. I need to get RC down before Friday. Might just focus that and games until test day

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:38 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Just completed PT 70

I got a 167

LR 1: -3
RC: -6 (ouch)
LG: -2 (Screwed up on an easy answer in the first game)
LR 2: -4

Idk why but I found the second LR section to have a lot of questions that had multiple answers that seemed correct
It was a very difficult section
Nice work!

It seems like a few people had trouble with the RC on 70.

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 pm

If I have to retake in June I'm shooting for a 170+. Also I really hope that doesn't happen. This will be my third time taking the LSAT, and my last chance for this cycle, so I'm very nervous about it. Also, I feel ready which is something I didn't feel the past two administrations I took it (December 2011, December 2013). I really hope all goes well for me on Saturday! :twisted: :twisted: I will pee my pants and cry if I get a 167.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Good news! I've decided the RC and LG are gonna be SUPER easy this Saturday!

We shall all rejoice in the waiters thread :-)

All of you at the cusp of your goals -- I also have this great feeling this Saturday will represent your testing highs :-)

In other news, I slept and it was glorious.

Anyone having specific issues right now? Anyone need to go over something? I have a bit o time, should anyone want to put heads together to crack s problem.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:03 pm

zhenders wrote:Good news! I've decided the RC and LG are gonna be SUPER easy this Saturday!

All of you at the cusp of your goals -- I also have this great feeling this Saturday will represent your testing highs :-)

Anyone having specific issues right now? Anyone need to go over something? I have a bit o time, should anyone want to put heads together to crack s problem.
Did you create a waiters thread?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Miracle wrote:
zhenders wrote:Good news! I've decided the RC and LG are gonna be SUPER easy this Saturday!

I shall Friday night :-P

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 pm

zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:

I shall Friday night :-P
:P Ok…

I have a headache

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:17 pm

I had to fly into PA on Sunday and I got super hammered on my flight. So much so that the hangover lingers. Do you guys think the fog will clear? I'm taking a PT tomorrow to gauge where I'm at.

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:43 am

that test on saturday better be ready. cause this study group aint f**kin around.

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:53 am

Well last three days before we kick some LSAT ass

Focusing on timing tomorrow (RC and LR)
Done by 5:00pm no matter what

Last PT Thursday (71)

Friday - Games (They don't burn me out)
Calling it a day at 5:00pm Friday and going to bed early

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:02 am

Went through a bunch of LGs today. Briefly entertained the idea of taking a PT, but decided that I would rather wait until tomorrow and Thursday. I think I'll try to wake up early tomorrow and take PT 70 at 8:30.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:09 am

withoutapaddle wrote:Well last three days before we kick some LSAT ass

Focusing on timing tomorrow (RC and LR)
Done by 5:00pm no matter what

Last PT Thursday (71)

Friday - Games (They don't burn me out)
Calling it a day at 5:00pm Friday and going to bed early
Thats not such a bad idea. I worked a 10 hour shift coming home at 8pm the night before the December test. That was such a fail.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am

I just payed $2.50 for reading comprehension explanations-pointless. :(

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 am

mircale watch the velocity reading comp videos (3 of them on youtube)

He breaks down RC in 18 mins so you know what to look for

I was going about RC the wrong way (Trying to remember every detail) when all I needed to do was focus on what the author thought about all the crap in each paragraph

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 am

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote: My approach toward RC is different than xylo's; it is the "who gives a damn about the subject" philosophy. Tough word? IDGAF; this isn't a vocab test (it would be a very flawed exam if the questions asked us about the meanings of obscure words). The only thing on my mind is "why is the author telling me this?" -- "oh, it's because he disagrees with the supposed experts - noted!" At first none of this clicked and it did take some time for this technique to work (read: for me to master RC).

Another point: strict time keeping methods are useless, IME. Don't hate yourself if it takes you 3:30 minutes to read a passage. At the same time though, don't take extra time reading only to understand the fine details. If a question wants to know about details, it will refer back to the line numbers. THAT is when you pick over each word; not in the first read.
I've been at times stumped by some harder passages that appear later in the section (will cather passage, a late 50s RC I think, comes to mind) and find it useful to consistently being able to finish the section well ahead of time at least during practice. Some passages are harder and 3:30 is right up the alley for such. One common issue that I notice is that if I spend say 4 mins on a passage that ends up having 2 global inference questions (the ones that don't specify a line number and are based on details that could be mentioned anywhere in the passage), trying to look for these details with certainty begins to cut very close to the timed limit.

Are your rc scores on the passages that you're seeing for the first time and still scoring so well; how do you handle such questions? If one can recall almost any detail of the passage after the initial read, then someone like that can certainly do very well and this wouldn't be an issue for them. I feel that it's very possible to not get much done during the last 5 minutes of the section in actual test conditions after the proctor calls the time warning.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:05 am

withoutapaddle wrote:mircale watch the velocity reading comp videos (3 of them on youtube)

I was going about RC the wrong way (Trying to remember every detail) when all I needed to do was focus on what the author thought about all the crap in each paragraph
What are velocity videos?

Archangel

Bronze

Post by Archangel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:28 am

Miracle wrote:
withoutapaddle wrote:mircale watch the velocity reading comp videos (3 of them on youtube)

What are velocity videos?
http://www.velocitylsat.com/free-lsat-prep-videos

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:30 am

I have a headache. Can't sleep! :(

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 am

^ same . I think I may need to take tomorrow off which I don't think is in my best interest

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:20 am

Morning everyone! Won't be able to prep at all today save for a bit of logic game drilling tonight since I have work all day then a 2 and a half hour night class. But I'm feeling good. Won't have time tomorrow to take PT 71 before our review, so I took it yesterday. Last PT ever (I hope)! I'll keep drilling LG through Friday, but all in all I'm not feeling too bad about this test. Let's do this!
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am

Just looked at vanderbilts tuition 47k, 7k more than their medical school

How is the cost for law more than medical school?!?!?

Also checked out its employment stars only 2% higher for big law than wake forest. Being from nc and if I do well Saturday and if I got a scholarshipid probably pass on my dream of going to vandy for wake

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 am

withoutapaddle wrote:Just looked at vanderbilts tuition 47k, 7k more than their medical school

How is the cost for law more than medical school?!?!?

Also checked out its employment stars only 2% higher for big law than wake forest. Being from nc and if I do well Saturday and if I got a scholarshipid probably pass on my dream of going to vandy for wake
I don't know anything about the NC legal market, but I visited Wake Forest with my older sister and the campus is absolutely stunningly beautiful. It blew my mind how gorgeous it was.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am

I'm excited for you all.

Go out there and do great things!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”