February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RobertGolddust

Bronze

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Big problem folks. My last 2 PT's I've been nailing 160's with -5 to 7 in LR -5 in RC and -10 in games ( :!: ). I have done the bibles a couple times, done pretty much all the 1-40's, many games multiple times. I just can't seem to lock the section down, any suggestions? my suspicion is I haven't adapted to the new style in the 50's and 60's. Maybe being in idiot in the games is my cross to bear in life :oops:

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:53 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Big problem folks. My last 2 PT's I've been nailing 160's with -5 to 7 in LR -5 in RC and -10 in games ( :!: ). I have done the bibles a couple times, done pretty much all the 1-40's, many games multiple times. I just can't seem to lock the section down, any suggestions? my suspicion is I haven't adapted to the new style in the 50's and 60's. Maybe being in idiot in the games is my cross to bear in life :oops:
Make 6-10 copies of the games that you're struggling on, watch the 7sage explanation, redo the game. If you can't finish it quickly, if you miss any inferences, or if you get something wrong, then you repeat this process until you nail the game. Rotate games out between days so familiarity doesn't play a huge factor.

You'll see massssssive gains! 8)

ETA: I was in the same boat about 3 weeks before December and ended up -3 on LG. Not perfect and I'm retaking in June, but it made a noticeable difference on test day.
Last edited by FlyingNorth on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:55 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Big problem folks. My last 2 PT's I've been nailing 160's with -5 to 7 in LR -5 in RC and -10 in games ( :!: ). I have done the bibles a couple times, done pretty much all the 1-40's, many games multiple times. I just can't seem to lock the section down, any suggestions? my suspicion is I haven't adapted to the new style in the 50's and 60's. Maybe being in idiot in the games is my cross to bear in life :oops:
same. here.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Just reviewed yesterday's PT, turns out I accidentally erased/rebubbled two separate questions in section two when I meant to erase/rebubble in section 3. As a result, I went -3 -2 LR instead of the -1 -0 I would have gone had I bubbled correctly (and then I would have gotten my first PT with two -0s!). This is bittersweet because test skills-wise I actually did much better than I previously thought, but I'm also way more of an idiot than I previously thought...
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:11 pm

cloy26 wrote:
same. here.

The games in the late 50s and 60s are definitely different than early 50s and 40s. You just need to account for this by doing a lot of the new style games and repeating them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:16 pm

90convoy wrote:
cloy26 wrote:
same. here.

The games in the late 50s and 60s are definitely different than early 50s and 40s. You just need to account for this by doing a lot of the new style games and repeating them.
I took PT56 this morning and I will be going through 3 tests a week (working to most recent). I don't want to burn up games ahead of time... Should I just redo the games of the PTs I take over and over instead of working ahead and spoiling new material?

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:16 pm

PT57

LG: -7
LR1: -6
LR2:- 5
RC: -5

Raw: 78
Scaled: 162

What is the general consensus about PT57 besides the dinosaur game?

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:20 pm

cloy26 wrote:
90convoy wrote:
cloy26 wrote:
same. here.

I took PT56 this morning and I will be going through 3 tests a week (working to most recent). I don't want to burn up games ahead of time... Should I just redo the games of the PTs I take over and over instead of working ahead and spoiling new material?
I don't think working ahead on LG is a big deal. The only problem is that you won't get the full endurance training when Pt'ing because you would have already done the LG section and your brain would work slightly less. If you do work ahead in LG id at least save 3/4 tests with virgin games.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:21 pm

unodostres wrote:PT57

Seemed like an average difficulty test besides the games. Whats up with your LR tho? Endurance maybe?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scandk

Bronze

Post by scandk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Hmm. That's strange. If anything, the newer games almost seem easier.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:27 pm

90convoy wrote:

Seemed like an average difficulty test besides the games. Whats up with your LR tho? Endurance maybe?
Ya, that's what I'm saying. I didn't think it was too bad. Yea, endurance is part of it. But it's mostly because I get caught up in the middle of the section making sure I get those right and not getting enough time in the end? Not that I feel tired but just wanting to make sure I get those Q's right.

All of my incorrect choices are bunched up at the end of my section (20-26 usually).
Last edited by unodostres on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:28 pm

scandk wrote:Hmm. That's strange. If anything, the newer games almost seem easier.
I like you.

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm

scandk wrote:Hmm. That's strange. If anything, the newer games almost seem easier.
I sat for October '13... I remember finishing at least 3 minutes early and saying that it was almost *too* easy. I think it's hit or miss maybe?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:32 pm

cloy26 wrote:
I sat for October '13... I remember finishing at least 3 minutes early and saying that it was almost *too* easy. I think it's hit or miss maybe?
I am going to be SO happy if we get easy games in February.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:34 pm

unodostres wrote:
90convoy wrote:

Ya, that's what I'm saying. I didn't think it was too bad. Yea, endurance is part of it. But it's mostly because I get caught up in the middle of the section making sure I get those right and not getting enough time in the end? Not that I feel tired but just wanting to make sure I get those Q's right.

All of my incorrect choices are bunched up at the end of my section (20-26 usually).
I think you should work on doing the first 12-15 questions a lot faster. Those are the easiest questions so you'll have more time for the harder ones. I started doing this and instantly saw a decrease in missed questions.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Ya, I know that's my weak point. I'm starting to get more comfortable. I will def try that. Do you aim to be at 15 questions in 15 min?

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Just printed out the games for all the tests in the 40-60's that I've already taken. I'm going to spend the next couple days drilling new games, maybe 12 a day, reviewing difficult LR questions I've cut out, and drilling RC. Maybe try a double RC just in case I get it on test day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Hmm. That's strange. If anything, the newer games almost seem easier.
I consider this a provocation of a worthy challenge.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 pm

unodostres wrote:Ya, I know that's my weak point. I'm starting to get more comfortable. I will def try that. Do you aim to be at 15 questions in 15 min?

Yeah thats exactly what I do. Eventually it'll become easy. The more and more LR questions you see the easier it is to recognize correct answers. I swear sometimes I can even predict the right answers without even reading the prompt lol. But anyway, yeah aim for that then you will have more time on the last 10/11 questions.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:03 pm

90convoy wrote:
unodostres wrote:Ya, I know that's my weak point. I'm starting to get more comfortable. I will def try that. Do you aim to be at 15 questions in 15 min?

Yeah thats exactly what I do. Eventually it'll become easy. The more and more LR questions you see the easier it is to recognize correct answers. I swear sometimes I can even predict the right answers without even reading the prompt lol. But anyway, yeah aim for that then you will have more time on the last 10/11 questions.
Thanks man. Going to learn to trust myself. Safe to say that the end of the section is usually easier too. So that should be my goal.

Speaking of dinosaurs. It wasn't that tough thinking through it. I figured the scenarios would be played due to the in out rule. But sub groups of scenarios of more than 4 really scares me. I had like 5 minutes on this game and ya.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 am

Something about LR that I don't know if we've talked about yet: I think for most people, certain question types get us. I know that for a while, 95% of my missed LR were from 4 question types.

7sage has the best test grader ever; it rates questions, rates, sections, is easy to input, and tells you exactly what each question type is. Further, it has incredibly useful graphs which tell you which percentages of which types of questions you're getting right; seriously the best "smarter not harder" study aid.

If you aren't using this, check it out -- it can be really revealing to discover that you're missing loads of a particular q type -- and gives you great study direction.

I test again on Monday (PT59); this weekend I'm going to take it easy and knock out two tests worth of sections casually and untimed to stay in the game but relax and recoup a bit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:02 am

just posting to give you guys some cheers!! took my last LSAT last oct and threw out all my books the day of :D im currently waiting for my decisions from LS so im over at the other threads.

im sure all of you are doing great!! because you guys are working your ass off. with that said, sometimes you are going to feel like shit because this test really ain't easy. but don't let it get you down too long. a friend said this to me the week before my test and it really helped me get through the test without a panic attack (i had to cancel my score before the oct one because i had a panic attack during the 4th section and that happened to be counted)

she said, "it took a lot of courage for you to decide on this path and you took it. there's only 2 outcomes to this: first, things work out the way you thought it would be. great. you go through with it. or, things didn't go the way you thought. but that doesn't mean its a bad thing. it just means you get another chance to figure out what you want to do."

so guys, it doesn't matter what happens. the outcomes are both positive. :)

work hard! and good luck! take necessary breaks and eat plenty.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:30 pm

eliztudorr wrote:just posting to give you guys some cheers!! took my last LSAT last oct and threw out all my books the day of :D im currently waiting for my decisions from LS so im over at the other threads.

im sure all of you are doing great!! because you guys are working your ass off. with that said, sometimes you are going to feel like shit because this test really ain't easy. but don't let it get you down too long. a friend said this to me the week before my test and it really helped me get through the test without a panic attack (i had to cancel my score before the oct one because i had a panic attack during the 4th section and that happened to be counted)

she said, "it took a lot of courage for you to decide on this path and you took it. there's only 2 outcomes to this: first, things work out the way you thought it would be. great. you go through with it. or, things didn't go the way you thought. but that doesn't mean its a bad thing. it just means you get another chance to figure out what you want to do."

Maggie Smith, you're totally way nicer IRL than in Downton Abbey. You rock.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 pm

eliztudorr wrote:just posting to give you guys some cheers!! took my last LSAT last oct and threw out all my books the day of :D im currently waiting for my decisions from LS so im over at the other threads.

What if you don't need another chance to figure out what you want to do, because you already know?

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:31 am

^ I agree with you about certain LR questions that I get wrong. Strengthen, assumption, weaken, parallel, Point at issue come really easy for me.

Flaw and Method get me because of the damn verbiage but I can get the answers to the two that make sense.

Also, I kinda embarrassing, but it took me a lot of wrong flaw questions to finally look up the meaning of granted. Needless to say LSAT granted and the way we use it in every day life is a little different

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”