February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
90convoy

Silver

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by 90convoy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:02 am

OKAY. I feel stupid right now. I graded PT 70 with the PT 71 key. The files were each named incorrectly on my computer. So I actually got -9. Still a shitty score..but it is a score that is not NEGATIVE SEVENTEEN and can still get me a 165 which is what I need. Ahhhhh much better.

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 am

I may check out until the test Saturday.

Good luck to everyone! Everyone put in so much work! You're all going to do great.

Make sure you get a good nights sleep the night before and no stress in the morning (ie don't run late).

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:10 am

90convoy wrote:OKAY. I feel stupid right now. I graded PT 70 with the PT 71 key. The files were each named incorrectly on my computer. So I actually got -9. Still a shitty score..but it is a score that is not NEGATIVE SEVENTEEN and can still get me a 165 which is what I need. Ahhhhh much better.
That's great news!

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:11 am

Nicolena. wrote:I may check out until the test Saturday.

Good luck to everyone! Everyone put in so much work! You're all going to do great.

Make sure you get a good nights sleep the night before and no stress in the morning (ie don't run late).

Goodluck to you too! We will all do well. Go over dat ticket once more so ya don't forget anything!

jmjm

Bronze

Post by jmjm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:57 am

zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Feeling really disheartened by a bad LG section :/ Ran out of time, missed two on the game that gave me trouble and missed another because I was rushing.

PT 70

LR1 -1
RC -0
LG -3
LR2 -2

Raw score 95/101
Scaled 175

My only strategy at this point is to hope really hard for an easy LG on Saturday.
Still, thats an awesome score!
Seriously :) this is still totally killer. -0 on RC, too! You've been NAILING RC lately.
Great score! Can the RC gods here describe how you do so well in RC? E.g. how and how fast you read the passage and divide time amongst passage and questions. I just can't seem to finish the section fast enough and if I go fast then I miss questions. I'm registered for Feb but thinking of withdrawing by Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 am

W$RKliveWELL wrote:
Miracle wrote:
pech71 wrote:I am probably withdrawing from the test since I received an acceptance email from the school I applied to. Such a stress relief to not have to take this damn test again.
Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing what school you were accepted to? :)
I second that congrats thats truly my dream to get into my top choice without having to retake. Couldn't be happier for you go celebrate :D
Still so happy......thanks for the well wishes!!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:43 am

Finally in the airport and in front of my gate; 2 hours of chill time before I can actually take a nap on the plane.

Also I totally had a freak out earlier; while still in Puebla, I was assured countless times that the busses to Mexico City ran all night. Got to the bus station, and that turned out not to be true. Ended up having to spend basically my last $150 in the world on a friggin' hundred-mile taxi ride. (Thank the gods it's Mexico -- I shudder to think what a hundred-mile taxi ride would cost me in NY or Mass.)

Anyhow, I hope you're all getting some seriously LSAT-worthy sleep! I'll check I'm before I crash back in the states; I've got me a bag full of logic games to do if I get bored of playing chess against a computer opponent that almost always kicks my ass.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:32 am

PourMeTea wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
ChuggaChuggaChooChoo wrote:What is everyone doing this week in terms of sleep schedule? From taking the December one I think I prioritized prep over sleep too much the week leading up because I overestimated my ability to get good sleep the night before....this def backfired but i'm interested in everyone else's approach
Going to start waking up at 5am on Wednesday so that I'm fully alert by 8. Using melatonin to alter the sleep cycle.

I didn't put enough weight on sleep before Oct/Dec and didn't sleep a wink the night before either take.
I have a tendency not to be able to fall asleep before big days, so I might knock myself out ridiculously early with some sleeping pills. I'm definitely worried about nerves' effect on my sleep the night before. What do you think caused your lack of sleep?
Nerves and excitement for SURE. The adrenaline rush made me feel 100% the morning of, but there is no way that people can perform at 100% after going that long without sleep. Sleeping pills are cr if you know your dosage and take them early the night before so that you're not drowsy or anything the next morning. Also, Synchro Genesis.
What is Synchro Genesis? It sounds vaguely familiar but I don't know why.
90convoy wrote:OKAY. I feel stupid right now. I graded PT 70 with the PT 71 key. The files were each named incorrectly on my computer. So I actually got -9. Still a shitty score..but it is a score that is not NEGATIVE SEVENTEEN and can still get me a 165 which is what I need. Ahhhhh much better.
That's great! Nothing like finding out you did way better than you originally thought.
Nicolena. wrote:I may check out until the test Saturday.

See you in the waiters thread, good luck Saturday!!
jmjm wrote:
zhenders wrote:
Miracle wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Feeling really disheartened by a bad LG section :/ Ran out of time, missed two on the game that gave me trouble and missed another because I was rushing.

PT 70

LR1 -1
RC -0
LG -3
LR2 -2

Raw score 95/101
Scaled 175

My only strategy at this point is to hope really hard for an easy LG on Saturday.
Still, thats an awesome score!
Seriously :) this is still totally killer. -0 on RC, too! You've been NAILING RC lately.
Great score! Can the RC gods here describe how you do so well in RC? E.g. how and how fast you read the passage and divide time amongst passage and questions. I just can't seem to finish the section fast enough and if I go fast then I miss questions. I'm registered for Feb but thinking of withdrawing by Friday.
I don't always get -0 on RC (in fact, it's more normal for me to get -1 or -2). I don't try particular hard to go quickly for RC, definitely not as much as I do for LR. Reading the passage, it's important (for me) to really process everything I'm reading - my worst RC passages have been the result of a half-assed first read. There's no time to do it again or read whole paragraphs over twice. If I've done a good job with a passage, I rarely if ever have to refer back. I also circle questions I'm really unsure of the first time, but then I go back at the end of that passage's questions instead of at the end of the section like I do for LR. If I'm short for time though, I'll move on. Don't know if any of that helped haha.

What's your goal score and where are you PTing? If you really don't think there's any way you'll hit your goal on Saturday, then it would probably be smarter to withdraw and take in June (I'm assuming you're applying next cycle and this isn't a retake for this cycle). You don't want to waste a take, especially on the undisclosed February test for which you won't even be able to see where you did well and what you need to work on. If you are close to your goal score, however, maybe you should give it a go :)
zhenders wrote:Finally in the airport and in front of my gate; 2 hours of chill time before I can actually take a nap on the plane.

Also I totally had a freak out earlier; while still in Puebla, I was assured countless times that the busses to Mexico City ran all night. Got to the bus station, and that turned out not to be true. Ended up having to spend basically my last $150 in the world on a friggin' hundred-mile taxi ride. (Thank the gods it's Mexico -- I shudder to think what a hundred-mile taxi ride would cost me in NY or Mass.)

Anyhow, I hope you're all getting some seriously LSAT-worthy sleep! I'll check I'm before I crash back in the states; I've got me a bag full of logic games to do if I get bored of playing chess against a computer opponent that almost always kicks my ass.
Have a safe flight! Glad things worked out with getting to the airport despite the hiccup with the bus.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 am

4 days to go

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:02 am

In Dallas, waiting for my next departure. SO TIRED

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 pm

BankruptMe wrote:4 days to go
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 pm

zhenders wrote:In Dallas, waiting for my next departure. SO TIRED
Awwww take a nap on the plane. :wink:

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Just got a 165 on PT 70 went up more then 5 points from my Oct score on this test. Their might be some light at the end of the tunnel guys 8)

edit: I got a -1 in games lol said me NEVER

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm

so nervous but also excited
Last edited by alecks on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Looks like I need to go shopping for Pencils tonight. I never use pencils (they smear too much for reliable note taking), but fortunately found an unopened box of 8 generic pencils in the bottom of my desk.

I sharpened them last night in the hopes of prepping my LSAT bag. The first one had a terribly off-centered lead. The second and third ones kept breaking in the sharpener. The remainder looked okay, but invariably broke under pressure. Also, the erasers were terrible.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet a buy a nice (for me) set of Ticonderogas. I am especially interested in having something with a good eraser, as I find the big block erasers impossible to use on tiny bubbles.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:Just got a 165 on PT 70 went up more then 5 points from my Oct score on this test. Their might be some light at the end of the tunnel guys 8)

Nice work! It is so satisfying to see direct improvement on the same test.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Still wishing I studied more but my PT average is 167 after getting a 160 in December. :) Anyone else plan on taking a couple more PTs this week? Is anyone DONE drilling and taking PTs?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alecks

Bronze

Post by alecks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:56 pm

in a perhaps unrelated note, how have I never heard about this score band? like, does it mean the difference between a 167 and a 168 is negligible? is there an article on this somewhere?

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:56 pm

alecks wrote:
so nervous but also excited
This. I have always found standardized tests to be kind of fun. Maybe it is the knowledge that the correct answer is already there and that I just need to find it :)

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 pm

alecks wrote:in a perhaps unrelated note, how have I never heard about this score band? like, does it mean the difference between a 167 and a 168 is negligible? is there an article on this somewhere?
By score band, do you mean typical score range categories (i.e. 160-165, 165-169, 169-173, 173+)? If so, it really depends on school medians and 25ths and 75ths. For example, that 167 will put you at Cornell's median AND 75th, so a 168 is far more valuable because it is essentially (but not completely) as useful as a 175 for ranking purposes (they provide an identical boost to the median and 75th). The same goes for a 166 and a 167. Last year, a 167 would put you at UChicago's 25th, and a 166 would put you below (making it essentially the same as a 160).
Last edited by random number on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:02 pm

logicspeaks wrote:Still wishing I studied more but my PT average is 167 after getting a 160 in December. :) Anyone else plan on taking a couple more PTs this week? Is anyone DONE drilling and taking PTs?
I'm doing PT's on Wednesday and Thursday, and drilling today and Friday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

W$RKliveWELL

Bronze

Post by W$RKliveWELL » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:03 pm

random number wrote:
W$RKliveWELL wrote:Just got a 165 on PT 70 went up more then 5 points from my Oct score on this test. Their might be some light at the end of the tunnel guys 8)

Nice work! It is so satisfying to see direct improvement on the same test.
satisfying definitely but it scares me. Thankfully I didn't review this test in OCT at all but I think familiarity of knowing you read something before in RC plays apart for me subconsciously but we will have to see.

Also has anyone tried speed reading a RC passage 1x through to get a general familiarity then giving it a second read to underline important terms or parts? Thinking about trying this out on a few RC passages today but im open to all RC suggestions.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:
satisfying definitely but it scares me. Thankfully I didn't review this test in OCT at all but I think familiarity of knowing you read something before in RC plays apart for me subconsciously but we will have to see.

Also has anyone tried speed reading a RC passage 1x through to get a general familiarity then giving it a second read to underline important terms or parts? Thinking about trying this out on a few RC passages today but im open to all RC suggestions.
I definitely know that feeling. I wouldn't worry too much, however, because LSAT questions are tricky enough that you will always have to use focused reasoning to pick between the two 'almost right' answers. The only time this issue really concerns me is on LG, when a recalled inference can make all the difference.

I think the 2x RC strategy can be very effective, especially for fast readers. The quick read through definitely helps with issues of tone and discerning the author's general position (this helps with the first question and the agree/disagree questions), concepts which are easy to miss if you get bogged down in little details. The second read through is necessary for addressing point-specific questions (usually the 2nd-4th questions).

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Ive noticed that if i rush through passage, i won't be able to answer anything because i don't know what is going on. For me its very important to know what i read. If i read a paragraph and can't summarize or point out what the paragraph is about then i have to re-read it because there is no pint in moving forward.

Also, if i notate a lot i tend to confuse myself so i try not to, unless i have different point of views etc. then i notate so i know where to find it if i need to come back. Overall, the less i notate the better I'm off. For me to stop reading and notate something it has to be very important.

Thats just me! :wink:

I think with reading comprehension you have to find out what works for you and what doesn't.

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Miracle wrote: I think with reading comprehension you have to find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”