February 2014 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
xylocarp

Platinum

Re: February 2014 LSAT Study Group

Post by xylocarp » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:46 pm

unodostres wrote:that feel when you miss -9 on rc, and miss 9 total on the rest of the exam.

and it was like a -2/-2/-3/-2. choplin passage really hurt my morale even though i thought i did worse. ocean passage screwed me on time and guessed/half assed on the last one. same ole shit all the time.

man, also, fuck that ball lg. i had like a good 9 minutes but dropped the ball. haha get it, ball drop. haha im so funny hahahahahahahahah not.

someone tell me that im going -0 on rc on test day. pls
YOU ARE GOING -0 ON RC ON TEST DAY.
for all my feb bros and gals, we are getting 4 straight up linear games with basic rules for an easy peasy -0.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:58 pm

From now on I contend that there are 5 different section TYPES on the LSAT [LG, RC, WRITING, LR(Speed), LR (Hard)]. As silly as this sounds, I think that LR splits like a river. On one hand the river breaks into a clear and fast paced stream, questions 1-15, and on the other hand you have a slow-moving, choppy ride, with maybe one waterfall leading to certain death, questions 15-26, also known as the "kill zone." Thus, the feel of these two SECTIONS of the river ride are qualitatively different--like apples and oranges.

When I drill this weekend, I plan to drill questions 1-15 and questions 15-26 separately. The goal of the former is 15 in 15; the goal of the latter is accuracy.

Good strategy? Bad analogy?

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Not a bad strategy
I'm also going for 15 in 15 minutes

Another thing I noticed is that they throw two long parralels in the last 10 of the LR sections

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:19 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:From now on I contend that there are 5 different section TYPES on the LSAT [LG, RC, WRITING, LR(Speed), LR (Hard)]. As silly as this sounds, I think that LR splits like a river. On one hand the river breaks into a clear and fast paced stream, questions 1-15, and on the other hand you have a slow-moving, choppy ride, with maybe one waterfall leading to certain death, questions 15-26, also known as the "kill zone." Thus, the feel of these two SECTIONS of the river ride are qualitatively different--like apples and oranges.

When I drill this weekend, I plan to drill questions 1-15 and questions 15-26 separately. The goal of the former is 15 in 15; the goal of the latter is accuracy.

Good strategy? Bad analogy?
Great strategy. Seriously.

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:23 pm

RC is oddly my fastest section to get through

Games is getting a lot faster followed by LR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Not a bad strategy

Another thing I noticed is that they throw two long parralels in the last 10 of the LR sections
I've definitely noticed un uptick not only in long parallels but long questions in general. PT 64 LR2 had a question that I swear if you read the prompt, the question stem and all 5 answer choices was damned near a RC passage.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 pm

zhenders wrote:
withoutapaddle wrote:Not a bad strategy

I've definitely noticed un uptick not only in long parallels but long questions in general. PT 64 LR2 had a question that I swear if you read the prompt, the question stem and all 5 answer choices was damned near a RC passage.

Yup lol...that computer evidence question?????

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:31 pm

I think so, yeah. Crazy, right?

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 pm

strategy to skip those and come back?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 pm

I'm praying that schools beg the LSAC to make the test easier or curve it greatly in order to boost admission stats

2 Linear and 2 Advanced linear sound Amazing!!

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:53 pm

At this time in 2 weeks, we will be anxiously sleeping (or dreading) saturday

Ugh, was going to sleep early and attack a LR problem set, but now my neighbors are deciding to throw a party. I live in college housing with undergrads.

Smh. So much for that I can try to sleep through it or I may as well go do something since it is not going to be over till 3 probably

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 am

BankruptMe wrote:At this time in 2 weeks, we will be anxiously sleeping (or dreading) saturday

Ugh, was going to sleep early and attack a LR problem set, but now my neighbors are deciding to throw a party. I live in college housing with undergrads.

Smh. So much for that I can try to sleep through it or I may as well go do something since it is not going to be over till 3 probably
Don't let that happen 2 weeks from now, mate. Find a dirt cheap motel room if you have to -- seriously. Sorry you're dealing with that :(

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Adventure to the testing center went well. Glad I at least scoped it out because it took me 20 minutes just to find the right building. As far as being in the room before the test, there were SATs going on in the actual room anyway so I ended up one floor below.

PT 60: -1 LR1 -2 LR2 - 2 LG -2 RC. Raw score 93/99, scaled 175.

This puts my average of the last 5 tests at 174.6. I think I'm settling in around the mid-170s range, but a crazy LG could easily knock me down to high 160s or low 170s. My goal is to lock in LG and hit 173 on February 8.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:50 pm

I need help! Someone please...

PT37-S4-Q17 or question 283 in Cambridge Flaw Packet.

How is the correct answer E? I don't see it. :oops:

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Miracle wrote:I need help! Someone please...

They're saying that just because fatalities were lower the first year (compared to the previous year) after the speed limit was introduced, the speed limit was the cause of the reduction in fatalities. But what if the year before the new speed limit fatalities were abnormally high (~E)? That would open up the possibility that the reason fatalities were lower the first year is the absence of an abnormality, not the new speed limit.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:21 pm

At this point in 2 weeks we will be emerging victorious.
Trying to stay positive

EDIT: So I found the paper chase, the tv show, online and one thing Kingsfield said. He said that Law is the most competitive field that exists. It is one side against the other and it is a constant contest to see who's argument is best. I agree with this characterization. We compete in UG, we compete on the LSAT, we compete during law school to land the best jobs, we compete in those jobs to make partner, we compete to make senior partner and then we compete to make the partnership more profitable. It never stops.

I guess this is just the one of the first stops. This damn LSAT
Last edited by BankruptMe on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:26 pm

xylocarp wrote:Adventure to the testing center went well. Glad I at least scoped it out because it took me 20 minutes just to find the right building. As far as being in the room before the test, there were SATs going on in the actual room anyway so I ended up one floor below.

PT 60: -1 LR1 -2 LR2 - 2 LG -2 RC. Raw score 93/99, scaled 175.

This puts my average of the last 5 tests at 174.6. I think I'm settling in around the mid-170s range, but a crazy LG could easily knock me down to high 160s or low 170s. My goal is to lock in LG and hit 173 on February 8.
Killer stuff, Xylo :) and incidentally, our 5-test average is within .2 points of each other.

dasani13 wrote:
Miracle wrote:I need help! Someone please...

They're saying that just because fatalities were lower the first year (compared to the previous year) after the speed limit was introduced, the speed limit was the cause of the reduction in fatalities. But what if the year before the new speed limit fatalities were abnormally high (~E)? That would open up the possibility that the reason fatalities were lower the first year is the absence of an abnormality, not the new speed limit.
This, exactly.

The best way to tackle these kinds of questions is to ask yourself what would happen to the argument if the answer you're considering were NOT true.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:28 pm

It's 1:26 where I'm at. That means that theoretically, at this exact time two weeks from now, the first part of the test will be over, and we'll be chillin' through the writing section. Pretty awesome.

cloy26

Bronze

Post by cloy26 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Stained glass can suck my wiener.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:53 pm

loved stain glass. once you see that gp yp (once you combine the rules to get this b/c y has to play no matter what) glass slot its just brute force. i kinda liked it?

i really should have done better with my rc yesterday. going through it today ...i made some errors where i know the pressure of timing is hurting my answer selection. but its not like i don't know the answer...its like im scared to do like 15 seconds of analysis to get the right one even though i know where it is.

gunna change that for the next one. staying on point and staying calm. dont think i need to absorb everything and if i get bogged down, move on. come back. destroy.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:07 pm

unodostres wrote:loved stain glass. once you see that gp yp (once you combine the rules to get this b/c y has to play no matter what) glass slot its just brute force. i kinda liked it?

i really should have done better with my rc yesterday. going through it today ...i made some errors where i know the pressure of timing is hurting my answer selection. but its not like i don't know the answer...its like im scared to do like 15 seconds of analysis to get the right one even though i know where it is.

gunna change that for the next one. staying on point and staying calm. dont think i need to absorb everything and if i get bogged down, move on. come back. destroy.
Gotta say, when I took 62, I truly hated Stained Glass and Conferences (Games 2 and 3). I'm on record here as saying that PT was the hardest LG I've ever done (even though i've missed more on others). With that said, when I went back and re-did those, I saw all of the inferences, and they both turn out to be pretty fun games. Stained Glass I agree is actually a super cool game, and I found out that you can easily split the conferences into 3 game boards that are all basically 100% (or nearly 100%) solved.

I understand though, Cloy. When I took PT62 that was my feeling for the whole damned LG section.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:19 pm

I've been working on strengthen and weaken the past few days. I've realized I have some issues with these questions. In the Cambridge packet, is this at all like flaw where PTs 1-20 are kind of weird compared to 30s, 40s present. I felt like all of the assumption questions were fine. Just wondering what you guys thought?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:32 pm

I posted this on 7sage, but I'm angry enough over it that I wanted to share it with you all too, especially since I feel weirdly close to you guys and gals (we're all in the trenches).

_____

I teach quite a bit, and have a number of close friends who teach all over, from ESL teachers in other countries to teachers in high schools and universities -- and depending on the community, but especially in university, one thing that constantly comes up from students is this idea that we are living in a post-racial society.

It's hard to imagine anyone really feeling this way -- but what it suggests overwhelmingly is that so, so many people of this and the adjoining generations are completely sheltered from their own privilage.

I spend a lot of my time thinking about and writing about gender and race issues, and when stuff like the link I'm sharing below comes to the surface, it's hard not to feel sick to my stomach for days -- but it's also why this career choice of ours is important.

It doesn't even matter really what type of law you plan to go into. If you want to be a BigLaw partner and do corporate law, great. If you want to do PI work, double great. But on the road to obtaining that job, we will all be living for three years surrounded by the laws of our country. We will come out of that experience at the very least with a deep appreciation for why law is important, and most especially, the POWER that it has to do both great good and permit great evil.

Check this link out. Get angry over it -- please. Add it to your list of reasons why you want to go to law school: whether you want to work actively to end this kind of bullshit or not, one day after graduation you WILL bump into an opportunity to be a part of righting a wrong. This is the world we live in -- and we are going into one of the few professions that has a shot at changing it.

Let's kill the LSAT. Then, let's dominate in law school. Then, let's be the kind of lawyers and citizens that we want to be surrounded with -- and when opportunities arise to make a difference, let's use that education and experience to PROVE that's what we want.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/2 ... 51700.html

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Just did a games section . 24 out of 24. Halle freaking juah

Just ordered the 180 watch. Crunch time

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:07 pm

In response to zhender