Considering DEC 2013 LSAT - Too late if from scratch?

threeplusthree

Considering DEC 2013 LSAT - Too late if from scratch?

Postby threeplusthree » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:08 am

Thinking of taking the Dec. 2013 LSAT, but wondering from experienced takers whether 4 months of prep from scratch would be enough for optimal performance (you can think of me as an average person)?

Only portion of LSAT I think I might have any edge on is the formal logic rules. Have taken CS Discrete Math and PHIL Symbolic Logic before.

Will be full-time in school still this Fall as well. So I'd basically be learning the LSAT on the side. Don't work though.

Balthy

Re: Considering DEC 2013 LSAT - Too late if from scratch?

Postby Balthy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:20 am

With school, probably not enough time.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:31 am

Maybe you should define "optimal" though. Most people say a 175+ requires at least 3 months of full-time study. You see exceptions here and there, but there's usually a good explanation, like a they had an intense lib arts undergrad curriculum consisting of lots and lots of dense reading/analysis, they solved logical puzzles for fun their entire lives, etc. Taking a timed diagnostic might help determining whether you are one of those lucky individuals.

threeplusthree

Postby threeplusthree » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:46 am

Considering my GPA going into senior year is 3.48 (Computer Science), I'd definitely want 175+ or likely no law school considerations for me at all. Still have time to raise my GPA, but just saying. I know the importance of school name/rank for jobs and the debt problems.

Current weakness would probably be reading comp. from what I can gather.

Haven't taken a practice test, but heard from some that it's useless since there are LSAT-specific concepts that people aren't expected to know. But don't know how true that is.

Going to research some prep classes this weekend and try to learn some basics of the test.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:23 am

threeplusthree wrote:Considering my GPA going into senior year is 3.48 (Computer Science), I'd definitely want 175+ or likely no law school considerations for me at all. Still have time to raise my GPA, but just saying. I know the importance of school name/rank for jobs and the debt problems.

Current weakness would probably be reading comp. from what I can gather.

Haven't taken a practice test, but heard from some that it's useless since there are LSAT-specific concepts that people aren't expected to know. But don't know how true that is.

Going to research some prep classes this weekend and try to learn some basics of the test.

It's useless as an indication of how high you can score, but it's not useless as in indication of how much you will have to work to get to your target score. You have over 70 previously administered tests available to you, so you may as well use one of them as a diag. And really, there aren't any LSAT-specific concepts. It's all just reasoning. That isn't to say you can't improve; it's very, very learnable.

If you're serious about law school, I'd focus on getting the GPA up. Take easy courses and take a bit longer to graduate if you have to. Then find the time needed to maximize your LSAT score. Maybe you can do it during summers, or perhaps you can spread it out over a year while working (which would be good for NU, if you're interested).

Also, as long as it won't jeopardize your grades, maybe start reading some dense stuff on your free time or take a few upper level phil courses.

ThetaX

Postby ThetaX » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:27 am

Aim for June, I believe that would be a better and more realistic goal for you. A 175 is not beyond reach in December, but you will have to make sacrifices. Don't neglect your GPA, it is an important factor in the admission process as well.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:15 am

threeplusthree wrote:Thinking of taking the Dec. 2013 LSAT, but wondering from experienced takers whether 4 months of prep from scratch would be enough for optimal performance (you can think of me as an average person)?

Only portion of LSAT I think I might have any edge on is the formal logic rules. Have taken CS Discrete Math and PHIL Symbolic Logic before.

Will be full-time in school still this Fall as well. So I'd basically be learning the LSAT on the side. Don't work though.

I tried giving myself five months for the June LSAT, during my spring semester.

I'm now studying for October.

Don't make the same mistake I did.

aboo5674

Postby aboo5674 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:47 pm

I know this isn't a popular opinion on TLS, but I think it really depends on you. If you're naturally good at the LSAT it's more than enough time. If you struggle, you might need longer. One of my friends studied 3-5 hours a day for six months and didn't do well. She plans to retake. Another only studied for two weeks while interning full time and got a 174. You have to know yourself.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:32 pm

No reason not to go for it... If anything it will be a super diagnostic for you. Four months of studying and then your test results back—if undesirable—should point you in the direction you need to really work on for your next test.

Don't burn too many practice tests. Maybe try and split them in half by year so you have a nice variation if you need another try. Plus, if you end up killing it you could start down your career a little bit sooner.

Make sure you don't neglect your letters of rec and other admission materials just to cram yourself into the running this year.

Also, CS majors sometimes will excel naturally because they can formulate solid logic progression without wasting as much time as others.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:33 am

judging by your educational background, you MUST get −0 on LG's

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”