Science questions are unfair

Clearly

Re: Science questions are unfair

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25 pm

The only passage to ever legit completely lose me on the first read was riddled basins of attraction. :oops:

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:47 pm

walterwhite wrote:while we're at it can anybody help me with Section C question 24 from the same prep test (42)?

As usual with the context questions, start with a few lines ahead (I take two previous sentences).
Looking at the line 45-50, it says receptors come in the family (i.e. "defined categories"), and this allows highly selective treatment of disorders.
And the line in question says that pharmacologists would be able to design the drugs which would be able to target receptors on defined categories on neurons, and this would solve some diseases.

Now ask yourself, why would pharmacologists target the "defined categories on neurons", and why targeting them would allow highly selective treatment of disorders? Because those neurons influence particular brain functions. Hence D is correct.

For the rest: A,C and E are related to all neurons, it is impossible to define a category of neurons which contains receptor molecules, since they all do. I'm sure you ignored those.

B is trickier, since we don't know whether all neurons respond to drug treatment, and it might be possible that those are grouped and targeted just because they do. But look at the bold question above. Does B answer it? No, it doesn't make any sense to target any group of neurons just because they respond to drug treatment. The goal of targeting neurons is to solve the disease, and it makes no sense to target them just because they respond. As an analogy it makes no sense to do surgery on one's arm if the patient has brain damage, even if the arm surgery is way easier and less risky than brain surgery - because the main goal is to help the patient, not to perform the surgery on him.

A good example of the topic, btw. This was one of the easiest passages I've ever seen on LSAT since I know how neurotransmitters work (and the passage, in fact, was kinda outdated).

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 pm

guano wrote:You don't need to have a science background to answer any question. However, the LSAT science questions do assume you know the basics - ie what you should have learned in high school

I don't think this is true at all. The only thing you need to know is really common sense stuff. Atoms are small, water boils, plants and animals are made up of cells, etc.

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Clearly wrote:The only passage to ever legit completely lose me on the first read was riddled basins of attraction. :oops:

PT50? Finished it yesterday. It was an easy passage. I screwed up only one question there. To compare, I screwed three in "cultural identity" passage.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:02 pm

bilbaosan wrote:
Clearly wrote:The only passage to ever legit completely lose me on the first read was riddled basins of attraction. :oops:

PT50? Finished it yesterday. It was an easy passage. I screwed up only one question there. To compare, I screwed three in "cultural identity" passage.

Fantastic.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”