Most effective way to use Cambridge LSAT by type books

carloney

Most effective way to use Cambridge LSAT by type books

Postby carloney » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi,
My LR Cambridge lsat book 21-40 just came in and I was wondering what the most effective way to study with it is? Timed, untimed...jump around or do one question type each sitting? Should I save some of the more difficult ones for later?

Thanks

patfeeney

Re: Most effective way to use Cambridge LSAT by type books

Postby patfeeney » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:11 am

At first, one question type at a time, anywhere from 10-30 questions at a time, timed. Give yourself anywhere from 1 minute to 1.5 minutes a question (the latter is far more suited for, say, Parallel Reasoning than Necessary Assumption).

scandk

Re: Most effective way to use Cambridge LSAT by type books

Postby scandk » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:04 am

If you've taken a PT before or you know where your relative LR weaknesses are, obviously drill those a little more. At this point, I do 2 sets of 20 under timed conditions (1:20 x # of qs), although I guess that's personal preference. My rationale is, I want to semi-recreate the decision fatigue involved in actual LR sections, thus the 40 questions. Depending on your accuracy, though, I'd start untimed, just to get the fundamentals down. Once you feel comfortable/if you already are fairly comfortable, I'd start timing because the time crunch is a pretty big factor in LR, and one you want to partially account for/learn to overcome via drilling.

So for example, 20 Flaw questions, timed, then review. After review, 20 Necessary assumption questions, timed, then review.

As regards reviewing drills and qs in general, I found a tip online that said something along the lines of, for every question you get wrong, write an analagous question w/ analaogous answer choices. That really forces you to understand the stimulus, the characteristics of wrong answer choices in that problem type, the right answer, etc. So if you whiff on a flaw question that involves causal reasoning, write a bogus stim with the same causal flaw in a different scenario, and write 5 answer choices that mirror the problem's - if A was wrong because it was out of scope, write an out of scope answer choice, if B was wrong because it restates the premise, do the same in your new answer choice, etc. Admittedly, I haven't done this, but I plan on starting tomorrow, as I just found out about this today.

HTH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”