PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:01 pm

I was just involved in a conversation about the Sabbath LSAT in which some misconceptions were spouted. The misconceptions were of the type that could lead to resentment that some people get to take an "easier" test. As a Sabbath-LSAT taker and former LSAT junkie, I just want to clear up some misconceptions I've heard.

Myth: The Sabbath test is the same as the other test, but two days later. This makes it easier for people to cheat.
Fact: The Sabbath test has always been a different test than the one administered the previous Saturday. Sometimes, Sabbath tests, or sections of it, are later used in other exams. Alternately, sometimes other "contingency" exams like overseas and makeup exams are previously administered Sabbath exams, or vice versa.

Myth: The Sabbath test has no experimental section, and thus is only four sections long.
Fact: The Sabbath test has experimental sections just like the regular test. In fact, there are even different experimentals and different orders the way there are for the regular administration.

Myth: You can choose to take the Sabbath test if that's more convenient or if you think it will be easier.
Fact: In order to take the Sabbath test, you need to present a letter from a religious figure attesting to your membership in a religion that precludes taking the exam on Saturday. Once you present that letter, you may only take the Sabbath test for any future administrations as well. I speculate that if someone made a fuss about having dropped his religion and wanting to take the Saturday administration, LSAC would allow it. I also speculate that if they didn't, they would lose a lawsuit about it.

I should admit that in my personal opinion, the new "twists" that LSAC incorporates into the tests take a bit longer to reach the Sabbath tests. This makes practical sense, because it seems that the Sabbath, overseas, and makeup tests come from a set of backups that LSAC keeps handy.

The downside is that the Sabbath exams are undisclosed. This is because the tests are going to be recycled. I still have no idea where I did well and where I did poorly on either of the two LSATs I took.

User avatar
crestor
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby crestor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for the revelation

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:32 pm

IMO, this deserves a hearty +1.

These myths, and related ones, do get brought up every now and then, so it does appear that not everyone knows the facts.

I've seen a number of threads asking about the potential for overseas test-takers to cheat due to day/time zone differences.

Sabbath, overseas, and makeup tests (typically due to inclement weather) are different test forms than the ones that the majority of test-takers have in that test administration month. They're all old February exams. This is why the February LSAT is undisclosed:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/wh ... losed.html

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby Clearly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 pm

thanks for the post, I agree with 99% of it. I disagree that they would ever allow a Sabbath taker too switch to a non Sabbath admin. I know for a fact that Sabbath exams have been used as make up exams in weather emergencies, so by not breaking this rule they can ensure that no one sees questions twice. As to religious freedom, it's a non issue, no religion dictates you have to take Monday off to my knowledge, so even if you choose not to keep the Sabbath, lsac isn't violating your rights by forcing you to take on a week day, it's not obligated to help you break Sabbath if you decide to leave your religion.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Clearly wrote:thanks for the post, I agree with 99% of it. I disagree that they would ever allow a Sabbath taker too switch to a non Sabbath admin. I know for a fact that Sabbath exams have been used as make up exams in weather emergencies, so by not breaking this rule they can ensure that no one sees questions twice. As to religious freedom, it's a non issue, no religion dictates you have to take Monday off to my knowledge, so even if you choose not to keep the Sabbath, lsac isn't violating your rights by forcing you to take on a week day, it's not obligated to help you break Sabbath if you decide to leave your religion.

Good logical point. I guess I'm not in the LSAT form I once was.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby Clearly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:12 pm

delusional wrote:
Clearly wrote:thanks for the post, I agree with 99% of it. I disagree that they would ever allow a Sabbath taker too switch to a non Sabbath admin. I know for a fact that Sabbath exams have been used as make up exams in weather emergencies, so by not breaking this rule they can ensure that no one sees questions twice. As to religious freedom, it's a non issue, no religion dictates you have to take Monday off to my knowledge, so even if you choose not to keep the Sabbath, lsac isn't violating your rights by forcing you to take on a week day, it's not obligated to help you break Sabbath if you decide to leave your religion.

Good logical point. I guess I'm not in the LSAT form I once was.

Haha it's all good, was a very helpful post, there are a lot of misconceptions you addressed!

User avatar
walterwhite
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby walterwhite » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:36 pm

the sabbath test has a separate curve from the regular test, right?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby cinephile » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:55 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:I've seen a number of threads asking about the potential for overseas test-takers to cheat due to day/time zone differences.


While you're not able to cheat, you are able to take advantage of the time difference. I remember taking it in Paris and we started at 2pm (so that we'd be starting at the same time as the Americans). It makes life easier on you if you're not a morning person and won't be fully awake at 8am or whenever they administer it.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: PSA: The Sabbath LSAT is no easier in any way

Postby Clearly » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:41 pm

walterwhite wrote:the sabbath test has a separate curve from the regular test, right?

Yes.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests