High 160s --> 170s, Advice for October?

OnAWhim

High 160s --> 170s, Advice for October?

Postby OnAWhim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi guys!

Really long time lurker, first time poster. Just looking to get some advice - so many people here are absolutely amazing and ridiculously helpful! I'm honored to have finally take the step to join the community :)

I scored a 168 on the June LSAT after about a month of prep - my score breakdown was as follows:
LG: -4
LR: -5
RC: -5

I had been prepping full-time for the month of May after school got out (before going into my full month of prep, I had done some on/off prep before that - I knew the basic LG strategies and I'm not a poor standardized test taker). I took exactly 31 preptests (about one a day) from the beginning of the month until test day - my PT average was hovering at about a 171 before I went in but I knew I still I had room for growth. Traditionally, LR has been my best section (average about -3 or so total and most of the ones I miss, I look back and think "wow, I didn't read carefully enough" or "duh") and LG is all over the place even though I practice...sometimes I miss none, sometimes I run out of time and have to miss 5. RC is consistently -4 or so but I was worried because I missed quite a few on June '13. As for stats, I have a 3.85 GPA and am going into my senior year. Above average softs and recs for most of the kids who end up at T-14 straight my UG. Really hoping to get into HYSCCN! Planning to retake October and am back to full-time LSAT studying (made sure to make my schedule reasonably clear and take classes that weren't too bad for the semester!) as I'm applying this cycle and have several drafts for my personal statement ready.

Just wanted to get some advice going forward on prepping for October:

1) How do people prep to consistently get into the 170+ from high 160s? On my PTs, its a wide range (never scored above a 174 and never below a 166) but I'm definitely having difficulty getting my PTs consistently in the 171+. LR is not usually the problem, but rather inconsistency on LG coupled with a couple of occasional surprises on RC. For those of you who are more experienced LSAT test takers out there, what would you suggest for me? Is a 172+ possible in October?

2) LG. I spent the last week completely redoing the LGB (timing each game) and I was able to get every game down to -0 and under 8:30. However, I still find myself consistently getting between -1 and -4 on LG every time I take a PT. Perhaps due to pressure (I know I completely froze on one game on the June '13 test and ran out of time which made me pretty miserable for the rest of the test) or a combination of factors, I'm not sure. I would really, really love to get this section -0 because that may very well put me over the hump. Running out of time on LG sections is also occasionally an issue. Thoughts on what to do/how to prep, anyone?

3) Retaking PTs - I'm currently in the process of going back and retaking every PT (and cutting several to use as 5th sections); I plan on retaking each one before October and reviewing (one a day or one every other day). Does this seem wise? Should I be doing something other than this? Any reviewing/drilling techniques, other than going back and trying to understand what I've missed each day? I also feel like I'm "cheating" myself by scoring the tests in the sense that I may be getting a false hope that I'm PTing higher than I would ordinarily, since I've seen about half of the tests before. This time, I'm making sure to replicate conditions (practice in noisier environments, use an analog watch to read time as opposed to relying on my handy iPhone timer, using a bubble sheet, etc).

4) Drilling - RC inconsistency, how does one deal with this?

5) Is the October test too late? I had planned on applying as early as possible, but I feel like it is wiser to wait for my October results than rushing in and getting dinged. Or do you think it would be reasonable for me to submit my apps and just let the October score come in when it does (in the hopes that I wouldn't get dinged before November 1 or so). Do you think it will be possible to raise my score from a 168 to a 172+ by October, seeing as it's already 8/08?

Would love any/all advice. Thanks so much!

OnAWhim

Re: High 160s --> 170s, Advice for October?

Postby OnAWhim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:25 pm

bump...

steven21

Postby steven21 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lalalany

Postby lalalany » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Last edited by lalalany on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:45 am

steven21

Postby steven21 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:57 am

Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:16 am

That was for OP, not for you. HTH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”