Tips for breaking beyond mid 170s?

Nooblarzlarz

Tips for breaking beyond mid 170s?

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 am

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice or if someone could point me in the right direction for breaking that final wall down to move from the mid 170s to consistent 179-180s. Currently, logic games is a given -0 with time to spare so my RC & LR is where I need to focus at this point. There's no consistency on RC passage or question type that's tripping me up, and for LR, it's:
1. Parallel reasoning
2.Sufficient assumption
3.Resolve, Reconcile, explain
4.Most Strongly supported.

Basically, I'll PT 2x a week (taking PT 48 tomorrow and working my way up to 69) and drill missed question types for LR. I haven't done the level 2-4 on RC yet, so I'm guessing I just need to drill more sections.

Timing-wise, I'm thinking I may need to get a bit quicker. I can do the first half of LR in 15 mins, but timing still feels tight on the latter half.
Currently, I've only used the 3 Powerscore books and am definitely not opposed to getting a couple more, but I'm not sure which ones or if it's the right move at this point.

Thanks!

jb1

Re: Tips for breaking beyond mid 170s?

Postby jb1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 am

I'd focus on drilling level 3 and 4 LR questions--and not just for the types you're struggling with. At least for me, that seemed to really help. Not only did I jump from -2/-3 to -0/-1 on a LR section, but I started flying through those questions. I think doing the hardest questions helps the timing on even the easiest ones. I found that once I started doing the first 15 questions in under 15 minutes that I had more than enough time for the back half of the section.

I'm still stuck at -2 on RC, so I may not be much help there. Looking forward to responses on that.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 am

jb1 wrote:I'd focus on drilling level 3 and 4 LR questions--and not just for the types you're struggling with. At least for me, that seemed to really help. Not only did I jump from -2/-3 to -0/-1 on a LR section, but I started flying through those questions. I think doing the hardest questions helps the timing on even the easiest ones. I found that once I started doing the first 15 questions in under 15 minutes that I had more than enough time for the back half of the section.

I'm still stuck at -2 on RC, so I may not be much help there. Looking forward to responses on that.

Gotcha. I've actually been saving the 3-4 star LR for this situation. I'll start focusing on those now. As far as your improvement that you saw in LR, was it a conscious shift in your strategy or was it moreso question exposure/pattern recognition?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:55 pm

I don't know exactly my performance on RC ( took the test in Asia and it was non-disclosed ) but my score indicated I got -1 and/or at most -2.
Try to drill RC section from pt1-38. If RC is your weak spot, try to put RC as your experimental section when doing timed pts.
Also, after several pts, you should be able to fathom your specific weakspots in RC section. And drill by type if you have trouble with certain passages.

jb1

Postby jb1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:
jb1 wrote:I'd focus on drilling level 3 and 4 LR questions--and not just for the types you're struggling with. At least for me, that seemed to really help. Not only did I jump from -2/-3 to -0/-1 on a LR section, but I started flying through those questions. I think doing the hardest questions helps the timing on even the easiest ones. I found that once I started doing the first 15 questions in under 15 minutes that I had more than enough time for the back half of the section.

Gotcha. I've actually been saving the 3-4 star LR for this situation. I'll start focusing on those now. As far as your improvement that you saw in LR, was it a conscious shift in your strategy or was it moreso question exposure/pattern recognition?

It was definitely just more exposure to questions and the patterns within each question type. I never wrote down or thought about a specific strategy for each question type, but after drilling the difficult sets I was able to more easily identify and attack each question type. I found that once I could answer level 3 and 4 questions correctly it became really easily to quickly cross off wrong answers and find right ones for the easier questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”