I need a hug now please Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Kimikho

Gold

I need a hug now please

Post by Kimikho » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Re: I need a hug now please

Post by dr123 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:43 pm

(hug)

???

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Calm down.

This is not uncommon. It could be burn out. It could be the fact that older tests are just much easier for you personally. Both were the case for me when I was studying, and both also freaked me out at the time.

I once dropped about 8 points on a test and decided that I should just quit because obviously I'd never be able to do it. It was absolutely demoralizing.

Take a step back, take a few days off, then come back and carefully review your tests. That is the only way you will get better, and if you do it, you will get better.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:26 pm

scoobers wrote:Thanks, guys :).

I already knew I wasn't going to be able to study this Friday and Saturday. Is four days too much to take off?
No, that should be fine. Just get away from it for a while. I know my first reaction to a bad PT was just to take another one right away to prove to myself that I was better than that. That just made things worse. When you start to get frustrated to the point where you need to post on TLS, it's time for a break :D

Don't even think about the LSAT, just do something you enjoy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bratva

New

Post by Bratva » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Hug

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 pm

You are definitely putting too much pressure on yourself and stressing out too much right now.
A short break will do you some good. At least four days would be good, maybe even up to a week, it won't hurt you. During that time do not do anything LSAT related, try to think about it as little as possible and do stress relieving fun things to get yourself back to a happy good mood.

You'll feel much better about the test after a break that calms your nerves down. It is normal for this to happen to people when they put a lot of pressure on themselves about the LSAT. Seriously just relax and ease up a bit on the amount of mental pressure you are putting on yourself about the test, you have already proved you have the ability to score well. Also, be happy that you are going through this phase now rather than closer to test day when it could carry over into test day performance. Everyone serious about the test that preps hard goes through this at some point and the key is dealing with it properly so the mindset and emotional state you are in right now is just temporary and so you know how to get rid of it if it happens again closer to test day.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:02 am

Calm down. This happens to everyone (or at least to me, and everyone I know who took the LSAT).

What I've found is that sometimes putting too much pressure on yourself can actually make you perform worse. You've clearly been studying A LOT if you are already on PT 61.

I hit that breaking point one week before the October LSAT. I PT'd a 158, which was over 5 points lower than my original diagnostic months earlier. To say I freaked out would be an understatement. To say I spent about 4 hours sobbing to my roommates about how I was going to have to go become a stripper and/or trophy wife as that was my only remaining career possibility because I was such a dummy would be accurate.

But then I realized I was completely freaking myself out and was essentially doing negative studying. I took three days and didn't look at an LSAT problem. I went to the gym, went out with friends, read books for pleasure, and just took my mind off it. Then I went back and did a couple sections, an LG here, a RC there, and then continued like that up until the test. And let's just say when it came to take the actual test, I did much, MUCH better than that awful 158. I actually ended up overperforming on the LSAT, and tested higher than any of my practice tests.

Same exact story happened to a lot of my friends. One of my friends tested 12 points higher than her disastrous, meltdown-inducing practice test only 3 days earlier on her actual LSAT.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 am

*Christian sidehugs you*

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:20 am

I know this feel, broseph.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!