Leaving writing sample empty; could you leave?

bilbaosan

Leaving writing sample empty; could you leave?

Postby bilbaosan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Just wonder if I decide to skip the writing sample section completely, could I just leave or I have to still sit those 35 minutes? LSAC policy is kinda ambiguous here. On one side they claim writing section is mandatory, and skipping it might result to have your score canceled. On the other side they claim you can leave anytime during the test (for example if you're sick), and your score will not be automatically canceled.

So what would happen if after completing the 5th section you just leave (with the permission, and following the rules, of course)?

crestor

Re: Leaving writing sample empty; could you leave?

Postby crestor » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 pm

I spent 15 minutes on writing and went to the bathroom after in june. I was thinking about smoking a cigarette on the walk but the second proctor accompanied me and it was a no smoking campus..... :cry:

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 pm

I heard that some schools wont even take your application if you leave your writing sample empty. While they may or might not read it, it would be a good idea if you complete that section.

Postby 06102016 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 pm

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm

azditamo wrote:I heard that some schools wont even take your application if you leave your writing sample empty. While they may or might not read it, it would be a good idea if you complete that section.

Indeed, LSAC materials mention that, but this is not a concern as it is very unlikely I'd even apply to any of those schools.

OTOH does anyone have a first-hand or a second-hand experience with that?

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

If you're really considering this, you deserve what ever you get.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:33 pm

A lot of top schools look at the writing sample just to make sure you don't write off-topic or draw a smiley face or something. They'll be pissed if the LSAT writing sample doesn't exist in your app.

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:47 pm

vzapana wrote:A lot of top schools look at the writing sample just to make sure you don't write off-topic or draw a smiley face or something. They'll be pissed if the LSAT writing sample doesn't exist in your app.

Maybe, but this is not a concern, I'm not going into any of those. My main concern is whether LSAC would cancel my score because of that.

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:If you're really considering this, you deserve what ever you get.

Of course. This is why I'm asking this question. Thank you guys for the feedback!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Some schools get bad if you just blow off the writting portion (aka write nothing or draw a picture). Just a hunch but I think because that speaks to your character, not because it speaks to a lack of writing skills or something.

Why risk making a school mad? What else would you do anyways? Spend the extra 30 minutes posting on TLS?

Postby 06102016 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:44 am

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:46 am

At least draw a cool picture of Vegeta going super saiyan 4 or some shit

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:48 am

Br3v wrote:Some schools get bad if you just blow off the writting portion (aka write nothing or draw a picture). Just a hunch but I think because that speaks to your character, not because it speaks to a lack of writing skills or something.

Why risk making a school mad? What else would you do anyways? Spend the extra 30 minutes posting on TLS?

You have to admit this place is a zoo right after the test. I took june and users were getting banned left and right, posts deleted, mod warnings, back-seat moderators. The best posts were the indirect statements about particular questions that were right on the border between illegal and not. I can't wait for October.

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:58 am

crestor wrote:
Br3v wrote:Some schools get bad if you just blow off the writting portion (aka write nothing or draw a picture). Just a hunch but I think because that speaks to your character, not because it speaks to a lack of writing skills or something.

You have to admit this place is a zoo right after the test. I took june and users were getting banned left and right, posts deleted, mod warnings, back-seat moderators. The best posts were the indirect statements about particular questions that were right on the border between illegal and not. I can't wait for October.

Even then you only had a 50/50 chance at best of not getting banned for a couple of weeks... them mods be pretty adamant about this

But yeah, the writing section is super easy - if you find it even mildly difficult, you have no business trying to be a lawyer.

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:12 am

I never learned to write in English, I can only type. This makes it slow and difficult to write without a computer.

Both schools I consider are not even in the top 100, so I'd be really surprised if they care about the writing sample.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:16 am

bilbaosan wrote:

I never learned to write in English, I can only type. This makes it slow and difficult to write without a computer.

Both schools I consider are not even in the top 100, so I'd be really surprised if they care about the writing sample.

Just give it a shot. Even a paragraph or two won't hurt more than just leaving it blank. Maybe dedicate one or two days to practicing it?

crestor

Postby crestor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:25 am

bilbaosan wrote:

Why are you considering those schools?

Postby 06102016 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:26 am

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 am

bilbaosan wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:If you're really considering this, you deserve what ever you get.

Of course. This is why I'm asking this question. Thank you guys for the feedback!

The subtle inference being: What you get won't be good for any school worth attending. If you can't spend 35 more minutes following instructions, no respectable establishment is going to give your app a second look.

bilbaosan wrote:

This is important. 2 things:
1.) To attend a school so far down the totem poll, I really hope you have a very good reason and a good debt plan.
2.) The writing sample is (so I've heard) to check applicants for their English skills. They can't do that with the PS because people can get tons of help to perfect it so the writing sample helps them be sure that you are actually a coherent English writer. Keep that in mind before you just skip it.

slackademic wrote:
lsatyolo wrote:At least draw a cool picture of Vegeta going super saiyan 4 or some shit

I don't think vegeta ever went super saiyan 4. I think the highest he went was SSJ 2.

edit: so, like, an adcomm might see this and think you're dumb for not knowing this.

Vegeta did go SSJ4, but it was in GT. Adcomms definitely will look down on your app if you choose to draw GT instead of Z, since Z is clearly superior.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:55 am

crestor wrote:Why are you considering those schools?

They are local, and they accept evening part-time students (those options are non-negotiable to me). As a plus, the tuition could be reasonable, and they are not picky. I'd be shocked if they ever disqualified anyone because of writing sample.

At the same time I don't care about school rankings - I've got my career already, which I intend to continue, and studying law is more like fun to me. I'm scoring between 150 and 170 on timed preps depending on how much English I understood, and I don't expect any significant improvement there, so I can't be too picky either.

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:08 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:The subtle inference being: What you get won't be good for any school worth attending. If you can't spend 35 more minutes following instructions, no respectable establishment is going to give your app a second look.

I agree here, but please keep in mind that "worth attending" differs between people depending on one's goals and capabilities. A school worth attending for someone looking to clerk for a SCOTUS Justice would be very different from someone who just want a "JD" in the resume and has no intention to work as a lawyer. Those two are extreme, of course, but I'm sure the idea is clear. Each school serves the specific target audience; in my case I'd actually do worse if I ended up in a T-14 school.

This is important. 2 things:
1.) To attend a school so far down the totem poll, I really hope you have a very good reason and a good debt plan.
2.) The writing sample is (so I've heard) to check applicants for their English skills. They can't do that with the PS because people can get tons of help to perfect it so the writing sample helps them be sure that you are actually a coherent English writer. Keep that in mind before you just skip it.

1) I explained it above; I indent to continue working full-time while studying.
2) This is actually a good reason to skip it; I don't want a school which is picky.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:20 am

I think you're trolling.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:23 am

bilbaosan wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:The subtle inference being: What you get won't be good for any school worth attending. If you can't spend 35 more minutes following instructions, no respectable establishment is going to give your app a second look.

I agree here, but please keep in mind that "worth attending" differs between people depending on one's goals and capabilities. A school worth attending for someone looking to clerk for a SCOTUS Justice would be very different from someone who just want a "JD" in the resume and has no intention to work as a lawyer. Those two are extreme, of course, but I'm sure the idea is clear. Each school serves the specific target audience; in my case I'd actually do worse if I ended up in a T-14 school.

I don't follow. You want a JD ... for the fun of it? I'm wondering why you think it's going to be much fun (everything I've heard, I expect the experience to be stressful and time consuming) and why you'd take any debt at all for something that will in no way benefit you. But in any case, that's not really our business so go for it, tell us how it turns out.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:36 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
bilbaosan wrote:

I don't follow. You want a JD ... for the fun of it? I'm wondering why you think it's going to be much fun (everything I've heard, I expect the experience to be stressful and time consuming) and why you'd take any debt at all for something that will in no way benefit you. But in any case, that's not really our business so go for it, tell us how it turns out.

He's just one of those "for fun" lawyers. :lol:

bilbaosan

Postby bilbaosan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I don't follow. You want a JD ... for the fun of it? I'm wondering why you think it's going to be much fun (everything I've heard, I expect the experience to be stressful and time consuming) and why you'd take any debt at all for something that will in no way benefit you. But in any case, that's not really our business so go for it, tell us how it turns out.

No, I intend to actually take the bar. I've been a software engineer for the last 20 years, and combining my current work experience with the law (esp patent/IP law) would be pretty good. At least my company thinks so, and they're willing to cover it up to some extend (with strings attached of course). This is why the school must be local, part-time and not too expensive. Things might be different if I was young and dreamed of a law career, but I'm not.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”