Planning to do 8 months of study for LSAT

Xixak

Planning to do 8 months of study for LSAT

Postby Xixak » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 am

I haven't taken it before. Going into my junior year this year, I plan to take the June LSAT and I'm going to study for it at a slower pace throughout the school year.

Any recommendations on what books to buy? I've heard the Powerscore Bibles are really good, where should I get practice tests and other books from?

90convoy

Re: Planning to do 8 months of study for LSAT

Postby 90convoy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:30 am

First of all you should only use actual lsat practice tests. They can be purchased here. With that being said you should use the Powerscore bibles or the Manhattan series prep books first to gain as much knowledge about the test. Since you have such a long time (8months) it probably wouldn't hurt to use both. I think the TCR for using both would be to first use Powerscore LGB and LRB then move on to the Manhattan ones to further hone your skills. Supplement the book work with drilling. Most people on TLS use the cambridge packets to drill because they are ordered by type and by difficulty. After you feel like you are getting good at the material that is when you move on to taking PTs still drilling your weaknesses.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:50 am

I would say drill until you can confidently go 85%-90% correct, then PT. If your PT was in the mid 160's, then continue to PT and address your issues through thorough review until you are PTing in the 170's (Should take about 10-15 PT's to reach 170, probably another 5-10 more to be there consistently)

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:16 pm

90convoy wrote:First of all you should only use actual lsat practice tests. They can be purchased here. With that being said you should use the Powerscore bibles or the Manhattan series prep books first to gain as much knowledge about the test. Since you have such a long time (8months) it probably wouldn't hurt to use both. I think the TCR for using both would be to first use Powerscore LGB and LRB then move on to the Manhattan ones to further hone your skills. Supplement the book work with drilling. Most people on TLS use the cambridge packets to drill because they are ordered by type and by difficulty. After you feel like you are getting good at the material that is when you move on to taking PTs still drilling your weaknesses.

mvonh001 wrote:I would say drill until you can confidently go 85%-90% correct, then PT. If your PT was in the mid 160's, then continue to PT and address your issues through thorough review until you are PTing in the 170's (Should take about 10-15 PT's to reach 170, probably another 5-10 more to be there consistently)

Both of you referred to this, but what is drilling? Sorry I'm a completely new to the LSAT.

Thanks for all the advice though. Convoy I think I'll buy the Manhattan books as well like you suggested since I have so much time.

Also will studying for the LSAT during school affect my grades or is it pretty doable?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Xixak wrote:Also will studying for the LSAT during school affect my grades or is it pretty doable?

I actually wrote an article for TLS about how to find time to study while working or in school:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/lsat-pre ... chool.html

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi -- just want to tell you about my study guide, the lsat trainer, which is new to the market --

You can see some reviews for the book here -- http://www.amazon.com/The-LSAT-Trainer- ... ewpoints=1

I also provide free study schedules on my website to help you organize your work, and I'm always available on this forum if you have any questions or need any help --

Good luck with your prep -- Mike Kim

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Both of you referred to this, but what is drilling? Sorry I'm a completely new to the LSAT.

Thanks for all the advice though. Convoy I think I'll buy the Manhattan books as well like you suggested since I have so much time.

Also will studying for the LSAT during school affect my grades or is it pretty doable?

Drilling is simply just doing a lot of lsat problems for practice. For example if one week I am concentrating on "Identify the flaw questions", I would do just "identify the flaw questions" until I am an expert and have worked out all the kinks.

It depends on how hard your classes are. A good rule of thumb is to treat your lsat prep like 1 or 2 more additional classes. (probably only 1 for you.) So if you are taking 15 credit hours, lsat prep might make it seem like you are taking 18 credit hours. It certainly is doable unless you are smashed with extra-cirrculars.

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Xixak wrote:Also will studying for the LSAT during school affect my grades or is it pretty doable?

I actually wrote an article for TLS about how to find time to study while working or in school:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/lsat-pre ... chool.html

That is actually awesome and looks really doable. Plus I can probably cut the Mon-Thurs studying to 1hr since I have 8 months. Thanks!

Xixak

Postby Xixak » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 pm

90convoy wrote:

Drilling is simply just doing a lot of lsat problems for practice. For example if one week I am concentrating on "Identify the flaw questions", I would do just "identify the flaw questions" until I am an expert and have worked out all the kinks.

It depends on how hard your classes are. A good rule of thumb is to treat your lsat prep like 1 or 2 more additional classes. (probably only 1 for you.) So if you are taking 15 credit hours, lsat prep might make it seem like you are taking 18 credit hours. It certainly is doable unless you are smashed with extra-cirrculars.

Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks a lot for the information

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”