December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Hotguy

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:50 am

MTH2 wrote:
Hotguy wrote:
MTH2 wrote:
Hotguy wrote:Not feeling well most definitely affects your performance...never taking a preptest with a stuffy nose and head cold ever again.

Oh yeah, what if u have a stuffy nose and head cold on test day?

Walk out and cancel duh bro, but that's not going to happen, I just changed climates recently and it's taking some time to get adjusted. I'm rarely ever sick or under the weather.
Keep a stack of vit c for the last few weeks of prep

Most definitely, I take multivitamins everyday regardless. I think it's mostly just the pollen count and dust are insane since a lot of farmers are harvesting around my weekday house.

Yeah, but that's definitely something we all gotta watch out for the few weeks before the test. Btw, i take animal pack and I almost never get sick.

nooooo

Postby nooooo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:21 am

First PT since Oct. LSAT

PT 65

LR1 -2
LG -0
RC -6 (Thank you LSAT for helping me find realize I hate anything to do with agriculture and farming)
LR2 -3

90 / 171

PT after a long work day, but still relatively pleased with the results.

Did two important things prior; Read through the MLSAT LR (Necessary / Sufficient Assumption Section) around four times until I got it on lock-down, then drilled through both respective Cambridge books on them until I could do ten without error. Already I feel just from this small amount of information, that my score will be significantly better in Dec.

I'd like to stress what others have said on the matter of getting better at LR: have a specific plan/process for each question type. I would get, maybe -3 to -5 just jumping in and attempting, but when I'm consciously taking steps during the stimulus read prior to answering, my speed and confidence are unparalleled to anything I've felt before. Highly recommended to understand the subtleties between Necessary/Sufficient Assumptions.

Also, took previous advice on doing first 15 in 15 minutes, and last 10-11 in 20 minutes. Also, highly recommended.

jaslin25

Postby jaslin25 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:16 am

toshiroh wrote:
tbesancon wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
tbesancon wrote:Hey Fellow December test takers :) I'm joining the party. How many days do we have left?? can't wait to get this shit over with....again (Took june 2012).

I took in October 2012, so ready as well. Here's to our last time taking the test

Thank God! Are you applying this cycle as well?

Yes, I am, ready to get it all over with.

how r u guys preparing for the exam? what is ur study schedule[/quote]

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:39 am

MTH2 wrote:Not feeling well most definitely affects your performance...never taking a preptest with a stuffy nose and head cold ever again.

Agreed. With the LSAT requiring such immense and intense levels of mental concentration, so many things can easily throw one off - whether that be a cold, being tired, in a bad mood, etc.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:22 am

jaslin25 wrote:
how r u guys preparing for the exam? what is ur study schedule

I posted one a couple pages back, however, it is for someone who's already read guides, drilled, and just needs to do preptests timed. Although, I'm sure you could edit it to your needs.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 am

MTH2 wrote:
jaslin25 wrote:
how r u guys preparing for the exam? what is ur study schedule

I posted one a couple pages back, however, it is for someone who's already read guides, drilled, and just needs to do preptests timed. Although, I'm sure you could edit it to your needs.

As a retake from Oct. I really like that schedule you posted. I might try and do the same, maybe mix in some 40's tests in place of some more recent ones that ive PTed too much. One question for you:
For your October guidelines, are you pulling your timed sections from the labelled PT for that week or from previous PT's. If so which ones?

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:50 am

Taking Prep test 53 tomorrow after work. Hopefully I'm not too mentally drained.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:51 am

18% done with 7sage. This stuff is great. Getting a much better feel for the design of LSAT logic. Doing a 156 on Sunday to 161 on Monday. Doing my next PT Friday excited to see how it changes.

HeavenBeyond

Postby HeavenBeyond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:58 am

cookiecrisp wrote:18% done with 7sage. This stuff is great. Getting a much better feel for the design of LSAT logic. Doing a 156 on Sunday to 161 on Monday. Doing my next PT Friday excited to see how it changes.

7Sage is awesome, JY is an excellent instructor. I'd recommend pushing through the content as fast as possible!

HeavenBeyond

Postby HeavenBeyond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:05 pm

dasani13 wrote:If anyone in this thread would like to join me and a few other people in PTing (and drilling) together just send me a PM. We decide on a PT per week and review it together.

Awesome!

I'll probably PM you sometime soon. Thanks.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 pm

HeavenBeyond wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:18% done with 7sage. This stuff is great. Getting a much better feel for the design of LSAT logic. Doing a 156 on Sunday to 161 on Monday. Doing my next PT Friday excited to see how it changes.

7Sage is awesome, JY is an excellent instructor. I'd recommend pushing through the content as fast as possible!

Yeah I'm think I should be able to finish it by next week.

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

dosto5 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:
HeavenBeyond wrote:

Yeah I'm think I should be able to finish it by next week.

If you finish it by next week you're not doing it justice and just rushing through. IIRC, the beginning goes quickly (percentage-wise) but slows down as you get into more complicated question types and have more problem sets to do. A large part of the LR is doing plenty of blind review, which takes up a lot of time when you have 8 problem sets of 12 questions each. Not sure how good you are with games either but when you get to that part of the curriculum it'll get slower, simply because practicing/drilling games is a lot more time consuming than LR.
It took me a month working full-time and that seems like a good amount of time. Also the logic part is pretty dense and tough at first, so that might slow you down a bit (you'll get through it though).

Good to hear you're enjoying it. Keep at it.

About the rushing...a lot of the beginning is for beginners - and I went through that. I've taken about a week and a half a piece for the LR and LG Powerscore Bibles. The LG Bible helped tremendously, on timed LG sections I generally hit -2 or -3 and untimed I get them all. LR didn't help as much. So some of this stuff goes faster. I can't imagine taking more than two weeks, and I think doing around 5 hours worth of it per day is not rushing, especially if I star and go back for review. But this is just my opinion.

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 pm

do any bros ITT have experience with LSAT Trainer's RC methods? I just bought the book and will begin studying from it this weekend.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 pm

mindarmed wrote:do any bros ITT have experience with LSAT Trainer's RC methods? I just bought the book and will begin studying from it this weekend.

I've kind of used my own combo of methods from various sources, but Trainer was the first to kind of hint at saying don't really read the content, just be looking for where arguments are and then mark that. I've cut my reading time from 3:30 to 4, to about 2-2:30. My accuracy is still somewhat variable but i've found i can do a lot better on questions consistently than before.

HeavenBeyond

Postby HeavenBeyond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:03 pm

dosto5 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:
About the rushing...a lot of the beginning is for beginners - and I went through that. I've taken about a week and a half a piece for the LR and LG Powerscore Bibles. The LG Bible helped tremendously, on timed LG sections I generally hit -2 or -3 and untimed I get them all. LR didn't help as much. So some of this stuff goes faster. I can't imagine taking more than two weeks, and I think doing around 5 hours worth of it per day is not rushing, especially if I star and go back for review. But this is just my opinion.

Yeah I guess 5 hours a day does make it go by quicker than what I was doing while working. But yeah it's whatever works best for you man; didn't know you were coming in with prior knowledge.

It took me awhile to get through 7Sage working full-time. But if you are able to dedicate 5+ hours per day, I think it's manageable. Perhaps it would be beneficial to work backwards; when you finish a new section, go back a couple sections and do some of the practice sets to make sure you are retaining the information.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:04 pm

mindarmed wrote:do any bros ITT have experience with LSAT Trainer's RC methods? I just bought the book and will begin studying from it this weekend.

I'm in a similar boat to vicpin5190 above me. My RC strategies are more of a blob of different mentalities rather than solely focused on one particular style. In my case, the Trainer worked better with my strengths than did the other resources I've used (Manhattan, etc.). If you readily use notation as part of your RC process, you might be a little at odds with the Trainer's style. But for someone like me (zero notes) the Trainer was great at increasing my accuracy with passage structure questions, in addition to moving my reading time down by a solid 30 seconds or so (From 3 to ~2.5).

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:07 pm

HeavenBeyond wrote: Perhaps it would be beneficial to work backwards; when you finish a new section, go back a couple sections and do some of the practice sets to make sure you are retaining the information.

This is great advice all around. The first time I studied, I did not do this. The second time, I did, and suddenly my scores went up about 8 points on average. Anytime you are working through a "linear" study program, there is much to be gained by spontaneously revisiting sections you've already completed to make sure you are still performing your best. This applies to LR, RC, and LG. Though LG is often a little easier to work with, given our tendency to remember LR and RC more thoroughly.

OVOXO

Postby OVOXO » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Anyone else on here try to review PTs BEFORE marking them. I’m attempting to do this…usually cave by section 3 :(

HeavenBeyond

Postby HeavenBeyond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:30 pm

OVOXO wrote:Anyone else on here try to review PTs BEFORE marking them. I’m attempting to do this…usually cave by section 3 :(

You should be Blind Reviewing all PT as far as I'm concerned.

HeavenBeyond

Postby HeavenBeyond » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Can anybody offer up some 'tips' on how they imprvoed their RC? I usually get the 5 minute call as I start the last question.

Thanks,

OVOXO

Postby OVOXO » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 pm

HeavenBeyond wrote:Can anybody offer up some 'tips' on how they imprvoed their RC? I usually get the 5 minute call as I start the last question.

Thanks,

That’s pretty good timing actually, if you have 5 mins to go and you’re starting q 28 or whatever’s the last one.

I notate while reading but don’t refer to my notes when answering qs. Though for important things like the thesis statement/main point ill write MP in capital letters next to it or for a major piece of evidence will write EV1 or something. Just helps organize the passage in my mind.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:46 pm

HeavenBeyond wrote:Can anybody offer up some 'tips' on how they imprvoed their RC? I usually get the 5 minute call as I start the last question.

Thanks,

details will be important when they are important (i.e. brought up in a question), just look for things that are related to a position or stance while reading so you cut down you're reading time. If you are reading for the argument and structure alone, you get the gist of it which is usually going to take you pretty far on most questions. Like if you want to do each passage ideally in 8:45 on average, if u cut your reading form 3:30 to 2, that's an extra 90 seconds to spread across 6 to 8 questions, which helps a lot. If you are hitting 5 for the last, u need to cut down somewhere, if it means pullnig out after no more than 10 minutes then so be it, but setting yoursel fto hvae only 2 to 3 minutes to answer the last few questions i think is worse than skipping 2 or so questions for a passage if you have to. I'm no expert yet, and i'm still variable on my performance, but i've definitely seen an improvement.

just my $0.02

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:07 pm

scooped the LSAT trainer. ty based Amazon Prime. Starting Sunday.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”