December 2013 LSAT Study Group

dosto

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 pm

dosto5 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:PT 53 tonight 5 sections full timing...

LR -6
LG -2 (woo, but i've heard this was an easy test for LG)
LR -9 (ouch - need to review but got hurt here)
RC -6 (surprised I did this well, did not have time for an entire section)

Score: 161 - better than my 156 yesterday so I guess that's cool but still not where I want to be.

Any recommendations on killing LR? Good books? I just did LR Bible and I think I somehow got worse at LR. I used to hit -4 or -5 pretty regularly.

7Sage is a wise investment for LR (and LG) IMO. More expensive than a book (I think $180 for the cheapest) but worth every dollar. Probably won't need another book once you get on board.

Link please?

dosto

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:46 pm

dosto5 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:
dosto5 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:PT 53 tonight 5 sections full timing...

LR -6
LG -2 (woo, but i've heard this was an easy test for LG)
LR -9 (ouch - need to review but got hurt here)
RC -6 (surprised I did this well, did not have time for an entire section)

Score: 161 - better than my 156 yesterday so I guess that's cool but still not where I want to be.

Any recommendations on killing LR? Good books? I just did LR Bible and I think I somehow got worse at LR. I used to hit -4 or -5 pretty regularly.

7Sage is a wise investment for LR (and LG) IMO. More expensive than a book (I think $180 for the cheapest) but worth every dollar. Probably won't need another book once you get on board.

Link please?

http://7sage.com/

They have free video explanations to every LG under free resources, so at least that's something to take advantage of. But yeah, I highly recommend the course itself. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Which course do you recommend? There are 3 options...I'm thinking I won't be able to get enough out of the priciest one with my time left...would the cheapest one still be helpful in your opinion?

dosto

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Last edited by dosto on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 pm

dosto5 wrote:
Which course do you recommend? There are 3 options...I'm thinking I won't be able to get enough out of the priciest one with my time left...would the cheapest one still be helpful in your opinion?

I did the cheapest one then upgraded to the second one; turns out the only difference between the three options is how many prep tests you have access to. Each prep test you have through them has video explanations for EVERY question. But the actual course itself is the same. I'd suggest just getting the cheapest option first, and then maybe upgrading if you want to have access to more PT's and find their offer is more cost-effective (as opposed to buying them individually).

How much improvement did you see?

dosto

Postby dosto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 pm

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 pm

dosto5 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:
dosto5 wrote:

I did the cheapest one then upgraded to the second one; turns out the only difference between the three options is how many prep tests you have access to. Each prep test you have through them has video explanations for EVERY question. But the actual course itself is the same. I'd suggest just getting the cheapest option first, and then maybe upgrading if you want to have access to more PT's and find their offer is more cost-effective (as opposed to buying them individually).

How much improvement did you see?

Well hard for me to say because I never took a diagnostic, but I turned to 7sage after the LR/LG bibles weren't doing it for me, and after their course I was consistently PTing in the low 170's. I'm sure people here have all sorts of opinions as to what you should do, and different things work for different people, but for me 7sage was great (and cheap).

They have a free trial on their site you can check out.

Will I benefit from what their course has to offer in 2 months? I mean I guess I could breeze through the initial 1st month stuff because I've been working and read the LR and LG bibles so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the test. What do you think?

TripleX

Postby TripleX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 pm

rebexness wrote:I have been trying to find places to PT early in the AM on weekends. WHY DOES NOTHING OPEN UNTIL 10 AM?

Gonna PT at Mcdonalds.

The 7sage iphone app is great for mimicking the sounds of test day. When I was PTing I would put it on and almost start to rage sometimes (that's how you know it's working).

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 pm

If anyone in this thread would like to join me and a few other people in PTing (and drilling) together just send me a PM. We decide on a PT per week and review it together.

alan-7sage

Postby alan-7sage » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:47 pm

rebexness wrote:I have been trying to find places to PT early in the AM on weekends. WHY DOES NOTHING OPEN UNTIL 10 AM?

Gonna PT at Mcdonalds.

Rebexness, have you tried coffee shops? 24hr coffee shops are great for studying at all hours, and do a decent job of helping you train for background noise. I did most of my LSAT studying at Waves, a 24hr coffee shop chain in Canada.

TripleX wrote:
The 7sage iphone app is great for mimicking the sounds of test day. When I was PTing I would put it on and almost start to rage sometimes (that's how you know it's working).

Hey TripleX, happy to hear you like the app! We actually just submitted a slew of app improvements to the AppStore this afternoon. Hopefully it'll get approved within a week.

It includes six new proctor voices, adjustable background and distractions, and a logic game video tab so you can jump straight to video explanations.

dosto

Postby dosto » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:21 am

tanes25

Postby tanes25 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 am

dosto5 wrote:

Im taking the cheapest one as well. I think you'll be fine with that. Also, they have an option for you to select when you plan on taking the LSAT. Then it breaks down what lessons you should be taking every week. Because there's roughly two months left you'll have more lessons to complete each week. I dont recall when I started the course but the last 6wks of the syllabus for me was pt so I'm sure you'll have time to get through everything. Alot of the lessons are videos showing you how to tackle the questions. You dont necessarily have to complete each question because you'll see them again if you are pt on your own anyway. What helped me particularly was lessons on grammar, valid argument forms, universal quantifiers and existential quantifiers, etc. If you have no idea what I'm talking about don't worry because I didnt either. You'll see once you purchase. I had no idea, but this fine toothing combing helped me tremendously. I cant tell you how much I've improved because I was a beginner before this course so I only took the diagnostic. I dont see the point in taking more pt right now when I haven't gotten through all of the material. Anyway, I hope this helps! :mrgreen:

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am

Any thoughts on reading the stem before the stimulus? Good/bad?

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:17 am

Hello all,

I'm looking for a study partner. I took the October LSAT. I'm not going to cancel, but I fear that I did not achieve my 169+ goal (only time will tell). I need to focus on reading comprehension. I have not studied it at all to date, and I think that building confidence on RC will easily put me at or above the score I need. I have completed the four LSAT PT compendiums, but I have not done any of the more recent tests (ridiculous since I just took the Oct. test, I know). If anyone is in a similar situation, please PM me. I have a spreadsheet with previous PTs that will tell whether we make a good match.

OVOXO

Postby OVOXO » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 am

On the agenda for today:

- Redoing LG section from PT 50 (went −0 but was really rushed at the end)
- LR2 from PT20
- LG from PT 1
- Some reading up on informal logic (walton book, perhaps)

Anyone wanna do a PT with me on Thursday? Thinking 51.

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:11 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:12 am

PourMeTea wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:Any thoughts on reading the stem before the stimulus? Good/bad?

Always. ALWAYS DO IT

Ok. Why does Powerscore say no?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 am

cookiecrisp wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:Any thoughts on reading the stem before the stimulus? Good/bad?

Always. ALWAYS DO IT

They're wrong.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am

dosto5 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:
Will I benefit from what their course has to offer in 2 months? I mean I guess I could breeze through the initial 1st month stuff because I've been working and read the LR and LG bibles so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the test. What do you think?

Well it took me roughly a month to get through their course, but that was with a full-time job (so only doing a couple of hours a day). I didn't start pt'ing until after that, so I don't know what it would be like for you. You could always give it a shot and see how you feel as the December test approaches and delay if you don't feel ready (though I suppose that would depend on when you plan to apply. All I can say is, for me, a month was enough to get the bulk of the course; the rest of it was just pt'ing and getting familiar with the LG's.

Started using it today it is awesome. Love it.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 am

jk148706 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:

Always. ALWAYS DO IT

They're wrong.

:shock:

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:19 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 pm

jk148706 wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:

Always. ALWAYS DO IT

They're wrong.

Sinatra

Postby Sinatra » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Yo dre, gratz on October waiters poll

dosto

Postby dosto » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”