December 2013 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
janderson
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:04 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby janderson » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 am

MTH2 wrote:
janderson wrote:Might as well check in here, as it's looking likely that I'll postpone to December.

I've been fluctuating between 167-173, which just doesn't give me confidence in my ability to hit 170+ on the real test. Took PT 62 RC today and went -8. Didn't bother finishing the other sections. It's late and I made some silly mistakes, but it's pretty apparent that I still have a long way to go.

Just take it in December, bro. I'm right around that range myself and I think that if I would have rushed and taken it in October I would be setting myself up for a retake regardless.


Probably what I'm going to do. I hit 171 on my second PT in late July, but since then I feel like I've made virtually no progress. I've just sorta been going through the motions with PTs and review, and I've been fairly thorough in review but maybe I just haven't addressed my problems well enough. I'll have moments where I score above 170 and feel like I know the test, and then I'll bomb a section and feel like an idiot. I just hope this is a plateau/bump in the road and that I haven't actually maxed out my potential.

User avatar
tanes25
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby tanes25 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 am

I'm assuming those who are using the LR Cambridge pkgs for drilling are using 1-38 right? How is this working for you guys? I'm starting to remember some of the answers. Once I do a section and then blind review I usually do that section over again within a few days. Should I wait longer for the retake?

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby wealtheow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

whoooof. hope everyone had a more productive weekend than i did. needless to say weddings are NOT conducive to studying.

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 3759
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby fips tedora » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 am

janderson wrote:
MTH2 wrote:
janderson wrote:Might as well check in here, as it's looking likely that I'll postpone to December.

I've been fluctuating between 167-173, which just doesn't give me confidence in my ability to hit 170+ on the real test. Took PT 62 RC today and went -8. Didn't bother finishing the other sections. It's late and I made some silly mistakes, but it's pretty apparent that I still have a long way to go.

Just take it in December, bro. I'm right around that range myself and I think that if I would have rushed and taken it in October I would be setting myself up for a retake regardless.


Probably what I'm going to do. I hit 171 on my second PT in late July, but since then I feel like I've made virtually no progress. I've just sorta been going through the motions with PTs and review, and I've been fairly thorough in review but maybe I just haven't addressed my problems well enough. I'll have moments where I score above 170 and feel like I know the test, and then I'll bomb a section and feel like an idiot. I just hope this is a plateau/bump in the road and that I haven't actually maxed out my potential.


Take a step back from the Preptests and spend some more time drilling, specifically your weaknesses. If you can work on understanding why you're missing those types and actively work on fixing them while not having a time constraint, I think you'll do better once you start timing again.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:THEMOASTDANGEROUSLG should just become an LSAT tutor! Seriously, you should hit up Mike Kim.


Mike Kim? Is he the LSAT Trainer?

I tried with Powerscore.. that went as terribly as could be expected from interviewing on two days without sleep.. and sort of destroyed all of my confidence for trying to get a position. Blergh.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby rebexness » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:59 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:THEMOASTDANGEROUSLG should just become an LSAT tutor! Seriously, you should hit up Mike Kim.


Mike Kim? Is he the LSAT Trainer?

I tried with Powerscore.. that went as terribly as could be expected from interviewing on two days without sleep.. and sort of destroyed all of my confidence for trying to get a position. Blergh.


Seems like you could do it independently at school and rake in more $$.

Dreamer_02
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Dreamer_02 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Does anyone have a study guide they use to know what they do day by day or weekly? and what book they use? I am at a lost of what I should be doing to better prepare myself for the upcoming LSATs?

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby rebexness » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Dreamer_02 wrote:Does anyone have a study guide they use to know what they do day by day or weekly? and what book they use? I am at a lost of what I should be doing to better prepare myself for the upcoming LSATs?


LSAT trainer has one to accompany his book.
LSAT blog has one too.

When planning I started backwards- Figure out test dates, figure out PT dates, then figure out when to drill what.

User avatar
cookiecrisp
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Any advice on always falling for Mistaken Reversals in Parallel Reasoning questions? I do this too much.

Dreamer_02
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Dreamer_02 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:04 pm

That sounds complicating lol.. what about the pikepike study guide...I think that's what it is called?

rebexness wrote:
Dreamer_02 wrote:Does anyone have a study guide they use to know what they do day by day or weekly? and what book they use? I am at a lost of what I should be doing to better prepare myself for the upcoming LSATs?


LSAT trainer has one to accompany his book.
LSAT blog has one too.

When planning I started backwards- Figure out test dates, figure out PT dates, then figure out when to drill what.

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby capt_slow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
capt_slow wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
dasani13 wrote:Lol no I meant to ask, how come you didn't you sign up to take it in October.


Because I just today started studying again. No way I was going to take three consecutive tests. I needed a major breather.


Can't believe you are retaking again! Haha, you love to punish yourself! I am retaking December, couldn't get myself motivated to retake october. Here is to 180's for the both of us!


Capt! You're gonna kill it this time around.


Thanks! I feel good about this time around... Almost back to where I was before the June test, the past few days I have been knocking the rust off...

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby capt_slow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:45 pm

cookiecrisp wrote:Any advice on always falling for Mistaken Reversals in Parallel Reasoning questions? I do this too much.


Yeah, stop making them... But seriously, just review your formal logic rules.... Use a real life situation like gasoline and a car running to help master logic.

If my car has gas then it is running (wrong, this is a mistaken reversal, the terms are reversed but not negated)

If my car is running then it has gas (right, precluding alternative energy sources)

If my car does not have gas then it is not running (right, my terms are reversed and negated)

Which is the necessary which is the sufficient.

Apply a well known conditional always helped me master logical reasoning conditions, YMMV.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:58 am

what are those Princeton Mock Tests like? I'm considering sitting for a mock test in 2 weeks to see where i am but I want to know what to expect from it.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:03 am

vicpin5190 wrote:what are those Princeton Mock Tests like? I'm considering sitting for a mock test in 2 weeks to see where i am but I want to know what to expect from it.


This is generally considered useful. Just make sure to block out everything they say before and after the test.

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:07 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:what are those Princeton Mock Tests like? I'm considering sitting for a mock test in 2 weeks to see where i am but I want to know what to expect from it.


This is generally considered useful. Just make sure to block out everything they say before and after the test.


+1

dont want them messing with your head!



is there a specific exam that they tend to administer? like i don't quite want to do it if its the June 2007 exam since I've already taken it....

A.Taarabt7
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:31 pm

u guys already start taking 2-3 pt a week? or will you start that in 3 weeks?


I will start taking 2 pt this week and adjust from there. I have a full time job

my schedule is 6 30 am out the house for gym 8-5 work 6-11ish study at library(im a library guy, studying at home my productivity goes to nill), sleep then repeat

weekend I try to study 8-10 hours. PT and review, then sunday will continue review and probably focus on weak point ie cannot be true or mapping game or rc(usually this)

best of luck to everyone in their prep. Grinding hard. I don't wanna take this exam again. Want to ace it and kick butt.

taks7
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby taks7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Thought I'd finally join this group after lurking for a while!

Took PrepTest 40 today; the Zephyr Airlines LG almost reduced me to tears....(is this just me?)

Anyways, good luck studying everyone!

10052014
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

.

Postby 10052014 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 pm

.
Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

riku33090
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby riku33090 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:whoooof. hope everyone had a more productive weekend than i did. needless to say weddings are NOT conducive to studying.


wow, same situation!

especially if a relative is getting married.


Worse situation here, got 5 stitches under my eye, slept through the whole weekend :(

riku33090
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby riku33090 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm

BTW for people that are aiming for 175+, what are you guys doing now?

akechi
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby akechi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 pm

So far today:

LG Section PT-38:
G1: 7m / -0
G2: 11m / -1 (I always take way too much time on determined assignment grouping games)
G3: 12m / -0 (12m...I spend way too much time on hypos and plug-and-chugging)
G4: 5m / -4 (Ran out of time after answering first question - Redid game after, was incredibly easy after you figured out how restricted the variables were)

LR Drills Weaken Drills Lvl 2:
Questions 87 - 107 (-0, 20/20)

Finished MLSAT RC Today:
Did the 4 Passage section in the back with a -7 (-4 with BR)
What was nice was they gave a 180 scorers real-time walk through of the same RC section. The times the guy was churning out per passage was insane. The first passage only took him 4:50 to complete and he finished the entire section in 29 minutes. Whereas, I took 8 minutes on the 1st passage, 10 minutes on the 2nd and 3rd and ran out of time on the 4th.

akechi
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby akechi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:07 pm

.
Last edited by akechi on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 pm

BTW for people that are aiming for 175+, what are you guys doing now?



Pt and a really good review, applied reasoning concepts on why I missed a certain question, and drilling weakness. About 3 pts a week.

User avatar
fnma2jd
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby fnma2jd » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:18 am

Anyone looking to sync up PTs and compare online via skype? or IRL if your in dallas




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Giro423, jagerbom79 and 7 guests