December 2013 LSAT Study Group

tanes25

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby tanes25 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 am

Hotguy wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:
tanes25 wrote:Hey guys! I have a few questions. To those using 7Sage when and how do you do blind review? I absolutely hate it. I can do 20-25 questions, but I struggle trying to then go back and do those that I circled. Just everything about blind review is a struggle for me. I always find it hard to study in groups, but maybe this would push me to actually do it. Those in the study group, what's the structure? Also, for those using 7Sage when do you drill? After doing the lessons on the question type I usually drill on that question throughout the week. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Do you go and do the review right after taking the section? I tend to wait like 20-30 minutes so I can come back fresh

Taking a break is fine. I don't really get why blind review is a struggle for you, do you feel exhausted when you do it?

I normally do as many questions as possible at work and then review when I get home. I guess I just feel like it's taking up a lot of time. Once I review and determine why my answer choices were wrong and the right answer choices are right that's pretty much it. I'm not sure if I'm really benefiting from it. Have you guys been doing it from some time? Do you start to see any patterns with certain question types? How do you know it's beneficial for you?

alecks

Postby alecks » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Is anywhere here taking a class?? It seems like you're all self-studying and I'm like :?: :?: :?:

I'm taking the blueprint online class. I'm not that motivated to self study so I figured I'd make the investment. learning a lot so far????? I don't know. I'll have taken 2 years off from undergrad when I get into law school next year so I'm like, having a total spaz attack about possibly taking another year off (my job suuuucks) soooooooooooo

2.5 months to go right??? I got this!!! maybe??? anyone else panicking? or am I overreacting here?

Postby 062914123 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:19 pm

tanes25 wrote:
Hotguy wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:
tanes25 wrote:Hey guys! I have a few questions. To those using 7Sage when and how do you do blind review? I absolutely hate it. I can do 20-25 questions, but I struggle trying to then go back and do those that I circled. Just everything about blind review is a struggle for me. I always find it hard to study in groups, but maybe this would push me to actually do it. Those in the study group, what's the structure? Also, for those using 7Sage when do you drill? After doing the lessons on the question type I usually drill on that question throughout the week. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Do you go and do the review right after taking the section? I tend to wait like 20-30 minutes so I can come back fresh

Taking a break is fine. I don't really get why blind review is a struggle for you, do you feel exhausted when you do it?

I normally do as many questions as possible at work and then review when I get home. I guess I just feel like it's taking up a lot of time. Once I review and determine why my answer choices were wrong and the right answer choices are right that's pretty much it. I'm not sure if I'm really benefiting from it. Have you guys been doing it from some time? Do you start to see any patterns with certain question types? How do you know it's beneficial for you?

I have been doing it for as long as I can remember. Before I used to have a legal pad where I would write my reasoning for every question without looking at the answers, and then find an answer that had the same reasoning as I had come up with. If I couldn't find one, I would circle it to be re done.
Honestly, I see huge benefits. Not only with overall test pattern, but also in accuracy and speed. I highly recommend.

Its not about quantity, it's about quality. So do as many as you can, without sacrificing quality. That would probably work for almost anything in life lol

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:24 pm

bee wrote:
alecks wrote:Is anywhere here taking a class?? It seems like you're all self-studying and I'm like :?: :?: :?:

I'm taking the blueprint online class. I'm not that motivated to self study so I figured I'd make the investment. learning a lot so far????? I don't know. I'll have taken 2 years off from undergrad when I get into law school next year so I'm like, having a total spaz attack about possibly taking another year off (my job suuuucks) soooooooooooo

2.5 months to go right??? I got this!!! maybe??? anyone else panicking? or am I overreacting here?

i took blueprint online when i was prepping for june and really liked it. ended up having to postpone june, so im self studying now for october. blueprint does an excellent job of teaching you the basics, but IMO self studying and discipline is the only way to get yourself from 170 to 175+ (which i'm assuming is where you want to score, since this is tls). i'll have taken 2 years off by the time i go to law school as well and i really don't want to postpone another cycle, but do realize that postponing one year to get a really good lsat score is likely to pay off many times over in scholarship $ and job prospects.

you've got this. 2.5 months is plenty of time.

I took testmasters live class, and velocity after. And now I guess you can say I'm enrolled at 7sage. But honestly, I'm more on the self prep side than anything. I agree 100% with bee, self prep is the way to go if you're looking at a good score. I postponed a year as and I know it sucks, so make sure you study your ass off.
Btw, I would highly recommend mlsat even if you are taking bp class.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Hotguy wrote:Did about 4 hours of 7sage, one mlsat rc chapter and that's it. Didn't have that much time to study, had a concert to go and also gym.

Bee, I read that urm article, thanks for directing me to it. Very informative.

Quick question, does anyone know if past work as a model(non-nude or anything like that) negatively impacts law school admission?

Also quick note about 7sage, I think that velocity and 7sage would compliment each other on LR pretty well. More on this later.

Yale singled out an Abercrombie & Fitch model on their "neat facts about our incoming class" last year so there's at least one school that doesn't find it distasteful!

alecks

Postby alecks » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Hotguy wrote:
bee wrote:
alecks wrote:Is anywhere here taking a class?? It seems like you're all self-studying and I'm like :?: :?: :?:

i took blueprint online when i was prepping for june and really liked it. ended up having to postpone june, so im self studying now for october. blueprint does an excellent job of teaching you the basics, but IMO self studying and discipline is the only way to get yourself from 170 to 175+ (which i'm assuming is where you want to score, since this is tls). i'll have taken 2 years off by the time i go to law school as well and i really don't want to postpone another cycle, but do realize that postponing one year to get a really good lsat score is likely to pay off many times over in scholarship $ and job prospects.

I took testmasters live class, and velocity after. And now I guess you can say I'm enrolled at 7sage. But honestly, I'm more on the self prep side than anything. I agree 100% with bee, self prep is the way to go if you're looking at a good score. I postponed a year as and I know it sucks, so make sure you study your ass off.

what in particular do you recommend from mlsat?
I'm down for whatever. I just need a 168-170. I'm not trying to get into harvard here :) that said I do need to make some improvements in my current score.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Hey guys LR question.

Are "method" questions still around and does anyone have an example? I just cracked open the LR Bible.

Postby 062914123 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 062914123 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:15 pm

bee wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:Hey guys LR question.

Are "method" questions still around and does anyone have an example? I just cracked open the LR Bible.

give an example of a "method" question stem?

"The advertisement proceeds by"

"Sue challenges Anne's reasoning by"

Postby 062914123 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:17 pm

wealtheow wrote:
Hotguy wrote:Did about 4 hours of 7sage, one mlsat rc chapter and that's it. Didn't have that much time to study, had a concert to go and also gym.

Bee, I read that urm article, thanks for directing me to it. Very informative.

Quick question, does anyone know if past work as a model(non-nude or anything like that) negatively impacts law school admission?

Also quick note about 7sage, I think that velocity and 7sage would compliment each other on LR pretty well. More on this later.

Yale singled out an Abercrombie & Fitch model on their "neat facts about our incoming class" last year so there's at least one school that doesn't find it distasteful!

Lol that's amusing, good to know. Not sure if I will disclose it though.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:19 pm

bee wrote:
alecks wrote:
Hotguy wrote:

what in particular do you recommend from mlsat?
I'm down for whatever. I just need a 168-170. I'm not trying to get into harvard here :) that said I do need to make some improvements in my current score.

i highly rec mlsat lg... but ONLY AFTER you get your basic lg down with blueprint. mlsat is much more complicated (sometimes too complicated) and you really need to be confident about your basics before you delve into that. mlsat is for polishing your skills and learning to go very quickly through games.

That ^
Mlsat is more geared towards people in the 160+s.

cookiecrisp

Postby cookiecrisp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:21 pm

How do you guys feel about prephrasing answers in LR? Good strategy or no?

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:22 pm

cookiecrisp wrote:How do you guys feel about prephrasing answers in LR? Good strategy or no?

For some questions types, I find it absolutely necessary in order to save precious time.

Some questions that you should prephrasing: flaw, assumption, role, main conclusion.. Etc. I don't try to do it for questions like match flaw or match reasoning, or inference. To name a few

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:31 pm

What a horrible time to break up with your significant other lol. I'll use it as an incentive to study and get my mind off of real life.

Anyone taking PT 51 soon and would like to review? I'm taking it tomorrow or Wednesday.

alecks

Postby alecks » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:09 pm

I can't quote anymore I guess :/

is this what you guys are talking about????
I'm pulling the trigger if so... nice marketing :)
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Logic-G ... attan+lsat

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:13 pm

alecks wrote:I can't quote anymore I guess :/

is this what you guys are talking about????
I'm pulling the trigger if so... nice marketing :)
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Logic-G ... attan+lsat

Yes, u can get that one and the lr too.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 pm

dasani13 wrote:What a horrible time to break up with your significant other lol. I'll use it as an incentive to study and get my mind off of real life.

Anyone taking PT 51 soon and would like to review? I'm taking it tomorrow or Wednesday.

Sorry to hear, I hope you stay on track. Breakups are tough.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:37 pm

So upon further review i'm going to try reading the question stem first in LR. See if maybe that can give me a slight edge on those questions I'm missing. I hate that its like pulling teeth to shave off incorrect answers, but luckily there are over 2 months still :)

usernotfound

Postby usernotfound » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Anyone know of any good posts suggesting an order to take PT's in?

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:So upon further review i'm going to try reading the question stem first in LR. See if maybe that can give me a slight edge on those questions I'm missing. I hate that its like pulling teeth to shave off incorrect answers, but luckily there are over 2 months still :)

Vicpin, I really really doubt you will regret this decision. The amount of time I save by doing that is like insane.

Postby 062914123 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:16 am

bee wrote:
usernotfound wrote:Anyone know of any good posts suggesting an order to take PT's in?

depends how many you want to do. i'd recommend sequentially EXCEPT you should start taking 60s at least a month before the test. spread them out. 60s are quite different from 50s, and very different from 40s and earlier.

maybe the 70's will be the mark of a new era? I can't wait to get to test day and just get bent over by logic games when a new never before seen element is thrown in. Zephyr airlines on crack x 4. yeaaaaaah

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”