December 2013 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm

cookiecrisp wrote:Does anyone know the last time circular linearity games appeared on the LSAT? Just curious.

:shock:


I haven't seen it anytime past the really early PTs. Never in the 30's and I don't think i've seen them in the 50's or 60's either (though i could be wrong on that). Seems like LSAT logic games these days are more about linear, grouping, and hybrids and forcing you to make a lot of key inferences in order to answer the questions successfully (ex. PT 60 Game 4, takes a while to decipher but then when the aha moment arrives its quick answering of questions), as opposed to throwing you weird things like Venn Diagrams-like diagrams (looking at you PT 15, Zendu radars)

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby 062914123 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cambridge LSAT
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:39 pm

cookiecrisp wrote:Does anyone know the last time circular linearity games appeared on the LSAT? Just curious.

:shock:

Some have reported seeing them on experimental sections; the most recent instance on a released test was game 4 of PrepTest 41 (October 2003).

User avatar
cookiecrisp
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby cookiecrisp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:42 pm

bee wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:Does anyone know the last time circular linearity games appeared on the LSAT? Just curious.

:shock:

late 40s. i want to say... 47?


So are games with mapping and circular linearity basically extinct? Can we expect not to see them in December?

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

cookiecrisp wrote:
bee wrote:
cookiecrisp wrote:Does anyone know the last time circular linearity games appeared on the LSAT? Just curious.

:shock:

late 40s. i want to say... 47?


So are games with mapping and circular linearity basically extinct? Can we expect not to see them in December?

Nooo. They are rare, not extinct. But the odds are against them.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Hotguy wrote:Lg question guys; did anyone find a way to do pt 41 g4, in a way that is relatively quick?? I found myself doing lots of hypos for that one..

Slight bump since we're talking about it...
Any lg masters out there with a better approach?

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Hotguy wrote:
Hotguy wrote:Lg question guys; did anyone find a way to do pt 41 g4, in a way that is relatively quick?? I found myself doing lots of hypos for that one..

Slight bump since we're talking about it...
Any lg masters out there with a better approach?


Have you looked at 7sage's?

http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat ... -2-game-4/

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Hotguy wrote:
dasani13 wrote:Taking PT 50 today. Has anyone taken it recently and would like to go over it together?

If you do 52 instead I can go over it with you (might be too late lol).



I'm doing that in a week. Would be happy to go over it with you if you're still up for it.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Took it a little lighter today. Just did 2 timed sections. One LR section one of PT 52 with a blind review. One LG on PT 52.

-6 on the LR (didn't get anything that I marked for blind review wrong...something that's a bit concerning). -2 on LG, one of the questions I got wrong was a careless error of not reading the rules that were right in front of me....

I'm noticing a continued pattern of missing Stimulus Supports questions. I'm going to start drilling them a little more. Also parallel reasoning tripped me up a little on this section as there were quite a few either parallel reasoning or parallel principle. This section seemed a bit tricker than normal LRs. Can anyone attest that this is the case? I've been kind of stuck at -6's for a few weeks now, so I'm trying anything I can to break out of that and perform at the same level as LGs.


Edit: I'm thinking I may go back through the LR Bible. I think I may not have a sufficient grasp of the little nuances yet...

A.Taarabt7
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:35 am

crestor wrote:
Erickt26 wrote:
crestor wrote:
Erickt26 wrote:Anybody getting negative vibes from family members for not working while studying for the LSAT? I decided to take December LSAT instead of October given my current score. Family is not that happy that I will not be working...


we miss seeing you in the october thread erick

What's up Crestor! Yeah, I decided to postpone my lsat until December given that my lsat range is 150-158. Those numbers are not going to get me into Loyola. Are you taking October?


Yes. God willing I at least hit the golden 165 which I have done on 4 PTs. Of I can get lg down to max four, I can hit 165. If I don't hit 165 on pt 70, I will use my final take on pt 71



who this on the misc? U LA Misc?

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 am

dasani13 wrote:
Hotguy wrote:
dasani13 wrote:Taking PT 50 today. Has anyone taken it recently and would like to go over it together?

If you do 52 instead I can go over it with you (might be too late lol).



I'm doing that in a week. Would be happy to go over it with you if you're still up for it.

Yeah I'm up for it! Just remind me..
For some reason I didn't check 7sage, he probably has some good video, I will watch it.


Today wasn't as productive. I did two hours of drilling, finished ps lr bible for a second time and one lsat trainer chapter. Was planning on doing about two mlsat lg chapters and 3 rc mlsat chapters, but had some stuff to do that took way longer than expected. Tomorrow is a new day!


Vicpin, what questions especially did you miss? Honestly, I thought lr for that section wasn't bad, a bit time consuming on the parallel qs but not too hard, there was one question that I didn't like much, but other than that it was standard. We can go over it if you'd like.

Edit: 7sage video 180

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:02 am

Hotguy wrote:
dasani13 wrote:
Hotguy wrote:
dasani13 wrote:Taking PT 50 today. Has anyone taken it recently and would like to go over it together?

If you do 52 instead I can go over it with you (might be too late lol).



I'm doing that in a week. Would be happy to go over it with you if you're still up for it.

Yeah I'm up for it! Just remind me..
For some reason I didn't check 7sage, he probably has some good video, I will watch it.


Today wasn't as productive. I did two hours of drilling, finished ps lr bible for a second time and one lsat trainer chapter. Was planning on doing about two mlsat lg chapters and 3 rc mlsat chapters, but had some stuff to do that took way longer than expected. Tomorrow is a new day!


Vicpin, what questions especially did you miss? Honestly, I thought lr for that section wasn't bad, a bit time consuming on the parallel qs but not too hard, there was one question that I didn't like much, but other than that it was standard. We can go over it if you'd like.


I missed 7, 9 (this one was on me, misread the stimulus to be that the the first speaker was against having school be year round, not for it..), 16, 17, 23, 24.

I know with 23, it presents a principle and a misapplication, i actually circled the right answer, D, and decided to go with C instead when I went back. I was able to see why each one was wrong after going through it, though I was still a little perplexed as to why 7 was A and not B and 16, I believe i reasoned that the reason i was wrong was due to the wording of choice E, which it looked extremely similar to the stimulus but the writers did that on purpose.

I was a little bit peeved at the the number of parallels in this one.

Also, I've seen the trainer mentioned a lot btw, do you think it would be too late to start with it now? Really at this point I'm looking for anything to fine tune the RC/LR's so that I'm not going all in on LG's all the time...

Another Edit: i noticed that any question i got wrong was in groups of 2...Also I'm planning on doing Section 2 tomorrow or LR's tomorrow. I'd be willing to go over that with anyone else who may be attempting it or want to discuss it.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:12 am



I missed 7, 9 (this one was on me, misread the stimulus to be that the the first speaker was against having school be year round, not for it..), 16, 17, 23, 24.

I know with 23, it presents a principle and a misapplication, i actually circled the right answer, D, and decided to go with C instead when I went back. I was able to see why each one was wrong after going through it, though I was still a little perplexed as to why 7 was A and not B and 16, I believe i reasoned that the reason i was wrong was due to the wording of choice E, which it looked extremely similar to the stimulus but the writers did that on purpose.

I was a little bit peeved at the the number of parallels in this one.

Also, I've seen the trainer mentioned a lot btw, do you think it would be too late to start with it now? Really at this point I'm looking for anything to fine tune the RC/LR's so that I'm not going all in on LG's all the time...

Another Edit: i noticed that any question i got wrong was in groups of 2...



Vicpin, I'm on chapter 30 on the trainer(40 chapters). Honestly, I would recommend it to you, you can skip all lg chapters if you'd like. Each chapter takes about an hour to do, and you can skip the first 4 chapters. I personally loved the trainer on LR. I'm sure you will make great use of it, plenty of time to try it. As far as RC, I personally liked the mlsat rc better, but I know a lot of people liked the trainer on RC a lot. It was written by the same person too.

Give me a second to review the ones you missed, then I will give you some feedback..

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 am

I went up 1 point in today's PT (50) after drilling for a week or so. Doesn't seem much but if I go up 1 point every PT from now on, I'll be more than happy lol.

The games didn't seem bad but I didn't have time to finish the 4th one so I need to speed it up. Also, I didn't even get to the 4th RC so I got all of those questions wrong. But I went -2 on the first 3 passages so, again, I need to do something about my speed. I feel like I'm drilling too much and not taking enough PTs (only one per week). Does anyone agree with this? Should we be PTing more than 1 per week at 78 days to go?

I also ran out of time in LR1 (didn't get to the last 3 questions) but went -2 on the ones that I did try. I OBVIOUSLY have a problem with my speed so I need to focus on that. Any suggestions??

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby 062914123 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 am

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 am

Hotguy wrote:


I missed 7
7- I think the key here was to keep track of what was important, lots of fillers, and all you really needed to focus on was the first and last sentence. A common mistake on one of the first ten questions such as this one would be to speed up way too much.
A is a tough contender, but they only say that it's similar, just not in what way, thinking that it's the flow is an assumption the question is asking of us. At least, that was my reasoning.
9
Well that one you already noticed your mistake, all I can say is that shit happens, at least it isn't a big red flag on reasoning. Maybe attempt to double check really quick if you forgot an important issue on the stim(instead of guessing, that's probably related to your mental focus at the time).

(this one was on me, misread the stimulus to be that the the first speaker was against having school be year round, not for it..),

16 this question was much, much easier to do if had just done it in an abstract fashion, sorta like formal logic.
I can see how this question makes us doubt ourselves since it's so much like the stimulus, but it turns out that it truly is like the stim.

17 when I said that there was a question that I didn't like, it was this one. Change the word imprudent to mean unwise. See how much easier it makes this question.


23 I did the same as you, was between c and d and went with the wrong one. Not much else to say, easy question, tough wrong answer.


24 maybe do some drills on most support qs. This question was very similar to the reasoning in 7, at least in my opinion.

I know with 23, it presents a principle and a misapplication, i actually circled the right answer, D, and decided to go with C instead when I went back. I was able to see why each one was wrong after going through it, though I was still a little perplexed as to why 7 was A and not B and 16, I believe i reasoned that the reason i was wrong was due to the wording of choice E, which it looked extremely similar to the stimulus but the writers did that on purpose.

I was a little bit peeved at the the number of parallels in this one.

Also, I've seen the trainer mentioned a lot btw, do you think it would be too late to start with it now? Really at this point I'm looking for anything to fine tune the RC/LR's so that I'm not going all in on LG's all the time...

Another Edit: i noticed that any question i got wrong was in groups of 2...



Vicpin, I'm on chapter 30 on the trainer(40 chapters). Honestly, I would recommend it to you, you can skip all lg chapters if you'd like. Each chapter takes about an hour to do, and you can skip the first 4 chapters. I personally loved the trainer on LR. I'm sure you will make great use of it, plenty of time to try it. As far as RC, I personally liked the mlsat rc better, but I know a lot of people liked the trainer on RC a lot. It was written by the same person too.

Give me a second to review the ones you missed, then I will give you some feedback..

Some thoughts above.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:37 am

dasani13 wrote:I went up 1 point in today's PT (50) after drilling for a week or so. Doesn't seem much but if I go up 1 point every PT from now on, I'll be more than happy lol.

The games didn't seem bad but I didn't have time to finish the 4th one so I need to speed it up. Also, I didn't even get to the 4th RC so I got all of those questions wrong. But I went -2 on the first 3 passages so, again, I need to do something about my speed. I feel like I'm drilling too much and not taking enough PTs (only one per week). Does anyone agree with this? Should we be PTing more than 1 per week at 78 days to go?

I also ran out of time in LR1 (didn't get to the last 3 questions) but went -2 on the ones that I did try. I OBVIOUSLY have a problem with my speed so I need to focus on that. Any suggestions??

I think two months of pting is more than enough...
Also, as far as LR, do you ever pre phrase answers? I think that's key to speeding up...
I can't help you with RC since that's my biggest weakness, hopefully someone else can.
Also about the +1, positivity goes a long way, so yeah! :)

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:55 am

Thanks for the help, hotguy! I think you're right about those first 10 ones at least, I've been trying to speed up through those 10 to have more time on the next 15, but I think i'm sacrificing accuracy. I feel like I should be getting all of the first 10 right. Just on this section, if i walk away with the first 10 right i'm only at -4, big improvement. I agree with you on 17, it was such a frustrating question, it definitely tripped me up when i went through the first time, and I spent a lot of time on it on the 2nd go during blind review and still walked away with the wrong answer.

I need to find a printer somewhere and print out the Support and Parallel questions and drill them, along with principle. Tomorrow I'll probably start doing a second read through the LRB, specifically through the conditional and formal logic section.


Also, i went ahead and ordered the trainer. Basically, This, has been the theme of my LSAT and LSAT prep thus far....

User avatar
lhn5007
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby lhn5007 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 am

vicpin5190 wrote:Thanks for the help, hotguy! I think you're right about those first 10 ones at least, I've been trying to speed up through those 10 to have more time on the next 15, but I think i'm sacrificing accuracy. I feel like I should be getting all of the first 10 right. Just on this section, if i walk away with the first 10 right i'm only at -4, big improvement. I agree with you on 17, it was such a frustrating question, it definitely tripped me up when i went through the first time, and I spent a lot of time on it on the 2nd go during blind review and still walked away with the wrong answer.

I need to find a printer somewhere and print out the Support and Parallel questions and drill them, along with principle. Tomorrow I'll probably start doing a second read through the LRB, specifically through the conditional and formal logic section.


Also, i went ahead and ordered the trainer. Basically, This, has been the theme of my LSAT and LSAT prep thus far....


I have a few chapters left in the MLSAT LR before I start PT but do you guys think it's wiser to PT untimed, have 90-100% accuracy on LR and LG then move onto timed? How do you guys progress from untimed to timed? I don't know if it's better to just jump automatically into timed PTs or to just do untimed for a few weeks aiming for accuracy then move onto timed? Of course this is after a lot of drilling LR and LG too.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:12 am

vicpin5190 wrote:Thanks for the help, hotguy! I think you're right about those first 10 ones at least, I've been trying to speed up through those 10 to have more time on the next 15, but I think i'm sacrificing accuracy. I feel like I should be getting all of the first 10 right. Just on this section, if i walk away with the first 10 right i'm only at -4, big improvement. I agree with you on 17, it was such a frustrating question, it definitely tripped me up when i went through the first time, and I spent a lot of time on it on the 2nd go during blind review and still walked away with the wrong answer.

I need to find a printer somewhere and print out the Support and Parallel questions and drill them, along with principle. Tomorrow I'll probably start doing a second read through the LRB, specifically through the conditional and formal logic section.


Also, i went ahead and ordered the trainer. Basically, This, has been the theme of my LSAT and LSAT prep thus far....

Lmao @ ur lsat theme.
Yeah, sometimes slowing down is speeding up. I hope I was of some help. Good luck! Fyi, I like the trainer better than PS lr.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 am

lhn5007 wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:Thanks for the help, hotguy! I think you're right about those first 10 ones at least, I've been trying to speed up through those 10 to have more time on the next 15, but I think i'm sacrificing accuracy. I feel like I should be getting all of the first 10 right. Just on this section, if i walk away with the first 10 right i'm only at -4, big improvement. I agree with you on 17, it was such a frustrating question, it definitely tripped me up when i went through the first time, and I spent a lot of time on it on the 2nd go during blind review and still walked away with the wrong answer.

I need to find a printer somewhere and print out the Support and Parallel questions and drill them, along with principle. Tomorrow I'll probably start doing a second read through the LRB, specifically through the conditional and formal logic section.


Also, i went ahead and ordered the trainer. Basically, This, has been the theme of my LSAT and LSAT prep thus far....


I have a few chapters left in the MLSAT LR before I start PT but do you guys think it's wiser to PT untimed, have 90-100% accuracy on LR and LG then move onto timed? How do you guys progress from untimed to timed? I don't know if it's better to just jump automatically into timed PTs or to just do untimed for a few weeks aiming for accuracy then move onto timed? Of course this is after a lot of drilling LR and LG too.


I think in the beginning accuracy is more important than timing. You can time yourself just to know where you're at, but still do it untimed. Don't sacrifice accuracy for time.. At least not n the beginning of ur prep.

User avatar
Erickt26
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Erickt26 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Whats up team!
Quick update on the 7sage course. So far, it is going great! I feel like I am beginning to understand the LSAT at a microscopic level.
I scored a 149 on my first diagnostic. I will come back to report any increases.

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Erickt26 wrote:Whats up team!
Quick update on the 7sage course. So far, it is going great! I feel like I am beginning to understand the LSAT at a microscopic level.
I scored a 149 on my first diagnostic. I will come back to report any increases.

Hey Erickt26! Good to hear.

I never studied 7sage for lr and rc. How are they compared to Manhattan?

User avatar
cookiecrisp
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby cookiecrisp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Just finished the LG Bible..woo. Onto LR Bible this weekend and Superprep. Gotta love prepping. ESPECIALLY with a full time job! :roll:

User avatar
Hotguy
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby Hotguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm

cookiecrisp wrote:Just finished the LG Bible..woo. Onto LR Bible this weekend and Superprep. Gotta love prepping. ESPECIALLY with a full time job! :roll:

Lmao good job! Are you getting into Manhattan at all?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests