December 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
paglababa

Silver

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by paglababa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 am

wtrc wrote:
paglababa wrote:I'm having the toughest time in deciding about this retake. I'm looking at close to full now at NU/UVA maybe, with significant money from Penn/Duke? My #1 choice = Columbia/NYU but apparantly I have no shot at the Hamilton without a 176+.

I really am not sure if I can raise my score from 171 to 176. My PTs were all over the place between 169-176 with most of my practice scores falling in the 173-174 range.
What is your GPA, Pagla?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am

AAJD2B wrote:
wtrc wrote:
pauly_biegler wrote:Score breakdown was LR -20 RC -5 LG -1.

How sad is that?
Ouch.

Seriously though, I would try to see this in a positive way. You have conquered LG. RC is still an issue, but it's not awful. Really all about LR now- and PT 70 was a pretty tough LR test. Drill the shit out of LR- learn the concepts over and over. Your RC may improve somewhat with that too.

Once you've conquered LR- which is so very conquerable- you will be looking at scores in the top couple percentiles.
I'm also in the same boat. I just re-did my questions I got wrong and its irksome that I was able to get most of them right.

Either way, is 1 month enough time to make improvement in LR? It's not that I don't KNOW this stuff, but for whatever reason (nerves? fatigue?) I didn't execute on game day for LR.
TBH it doesn't seem like you need 1 month to "make improvement in LR" as much as to find a way to conquer those nerves.

I took 69 in June. Was PTing in the upper 170's consistently. Had the same issue- but with LG. I KNEW the stuff- but couldn't execute on game day. I took a month off and reflected- and realized that being ridiculous with my diet, and telling everyone how seriously I was taking this- and limiting my social life- etc. etc., was hurting me. More was less. I psyched myself out, and it sounds like you did this time.

So I took some time off after June, and then got back into it. I PTed- but only one or two a week. I drilled- but not every day. And I went out with friends and did whatever I could to not psyche myself out. I went into October with a far more relaxed and clearer mindset, even though I had done less studying immediately beforehand than I had for June. And it paid off-- I didn't do perfectly, and could have done better, but my score was what I needed, and I got a 0 on LG, which is what I had struggled with in June.

So if you scored sub-170, would def. recommend a retake... but less is more here. Hope this helps a bit.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 am

paglababa wrote:
wtrc wrote:
paglababa wrote:I'm having the toughest time in deciding about this retake. I'm looking at close to full now at NU/UVA maybe, with significant money from Penn/Duke? My #1 choice = Columbia/NYU but apparantly I have no shot at the Hamilton without a 176+.

I really am not sure if I can raise my score from 171 to 176. My PTs were all over the place between 169-176 with most of my practice scores falling in the 173-174 range.
What is your GPA, Pagla?
171/3.9 is pretty sexy.... that is def. a tough call...

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:53 am

WTRC

first off major congrats on your score. I was wondering if you could help me out, i posted on the previous page in this thread.

your opinion would mean a lot, thanks

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 am

Took PT 57. I've heard dreaded stories about this PT and the games section wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. -1 on games... Missed one in the Dinosaur game. Now the RC was quite difficult for this one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am

angels2fly wrote:WTRC

first off major congrats on your score. I was wondering if you could help me out, i posted on the previous page in this thread.

:) thanks for the congrats. Mazel Tov on your incredible GPA.

Would waiting til December and applying then put you at a disadvantage? Yes, but it would be small.

Would applying with a 165 put you at a disadvantage compared to where you could be and should be with that GPA? Yes, huge.

Bring that 165 up 8 points, enjoy Harvard. Seriously, do not apply now. Get the application ready and everything in so when you see your amazing score, you can press "submit" right away.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am

wtrc wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:
wtrc wrote:
pauly_biegler wrote:Score breakdown was LR -20 RC -5 LG -1.

How sad is that?
Ouch.

Seriously though, I would try to see this in a positive way. You have conquered LG. RC is still an issue, but it's not awful. Really all about LR now- and PT 70 was a pretty tough LR test. Drill the shit out of LR- learn the concepts over and over. Your RC may improve somewhat with that too.

Once you've conquered LR- which is so very conquerable- you will be looking at scores in the top couple percentiles.
I'm also in the same boat. I just re-did my questions I got wrong and its irksome that I was able to get most of them right.

Either way, is 1 month enough time to make improvement in LR? It's not that I don't KNOW this stuff, but for whatever reason (nerves? fatigue?) I didn't execute on game day for LR.
TBH it doesn't seem like you need 1 month to "make improvement in LR" as much as to find a way to conquer those nerves.

I took 69 in June. Was PTing in the upper 170's consistently. Had the same issue- but with LG. I KNEW the stuff- but couldn't execute on game day. I took a month off and reflected- and realized that being ridiculous with my diet, and telling everyone how seriously I was taking this- and limiting my social life- etc. etc., was hurting me. More was less. I psyched myself out, and it sounds like you did this time.

So I took some time off after June, and then got back into it. I PTed- but only one or two a week. I drilled- but not every day. And I went out with friends and did whatever I could to not psyche myself out. I went into October with a far more relaxed and clearer mindset, even though I had done less studying immediately beforehand than I had for June. And it paid off-- I didn't do perfectly, and could have done better, but my score was what I needed, and I got a 0 on LG, which is what I had struggled with in June.

So if you scored sub-170, would def. recommend a retake... but less is more here. Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks wtrc. I really needed to hear this. I wish I had the time for a month off though, lol. I need to hit the ground running starting today but will do less PTs, at least until two weeks before game day.

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 am

wtrc wrote:

Would waiting til December and applying then put you at a disadvantage? Yes, but it would be small.

Would applying with a 165 put you at a disadvantage compared to where you could be and should be with that GPA? Yes, huge.

Bring that 165 up 8 points, enjoy Harvard. Seriously, do not apply now. Get the application ready and everything in so when you see your amazing score, you can press "submit" right away.
:). this makes me feel LOADS better. i was worried i was going to have to wait a cycle. last night i rush ordered syncro and the trainer. not going to leave anything to chance!!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 am

angels2fly wrote:
wtrc wrote:

:). this makes me feel LOADS better. i was worried i was going to have to wait a cycle. last night i rush ordered syncro and the trainer. not going to leave anything to chance!!
:D Hope you used the Synchro Discount Code ("TLS180") :) Glad to hear, see you in lawl school next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 am

wtrc wrote:
angels2fly wrote:
wtrc wrote:

:D Hope you used the Synchro Discount Code ("TLS180") :) Glad to hear, see you in lawl school next year.
you bet i did! can i PM you a question?

BlameCanada

New

Post by BlameCanada » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 am

Hello Everyone,

I am a college freshman (3 year program). I took the LSAT first time in october and scored 167 - well below my average 172ish. I want to finish with the LSAT this year so I am retaking in december. Anybody have any books they recommend. By far my biggest weakness is reading comprehension section. I purchased the LSAT180 and 10 more full length practice tests to get me ready for december. I've already used manhattan book for reading comp. Any other suggestions?

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:35 am

Have you tried the 7Sage videos? I'm sure everyone on here can tell you how awesome they are. Everybody learns differently though. Try it if you haven't. They're free! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yup I have! But thanks for the advice anyway though, they are great. I'm not sure I have enough time for they're method though. I feel like I need to get through way more questions before repeating any. Have you tried it?[/quote]

Yes, I'm currently doing 7sage and I believe(and this is just my opinion) that redoing the games several times has helped me vs last year when I just did a bunch of games. By re-doing the games you learn patterns and gain more confidence, at least that's how it was for me. I now consistently go -0 or -1 on games.[/quote]

+1

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:44 am

wtrc wrote:
angels2fly wrote:
wtrc wrote:

Hopped on that Synchro Train!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:45 am

What are all the 17X retakers doing to solidify their skills for December?

wygtsmile

New

Post by wygtsmile » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:10 pm

I have exhausted all the recent PT's and prep materials for October (thinking I wouldnt be retaking in December), and now I'm in a dire need for some advice here.

Prepping for December, I'm gonna be using Manhattan LR strategy book, and I'm also looking for PT's to study with.
My only choices for PT's are:
1) 10 More, Actual Official LSAT PrepTests: (PrepTests 19 through 28), sold at around $24 on amazon or
2) individual PT's 43-51 sold at LSAC website (around $60 worth)

I only have a month to prepare for December test so I don't think buying both makes sense.
My worry with buying individual PT's at LSAC is that it'll take around a week to get here and take away a week worth of studying with already short preparation time I have, whereas Amazon will only take a day since I have a prime membership.
And also the price is cheaper with choice 1.

Will it make a big diff for studying PT 19-28 instead of 43-51? they both don't have comparative readings anyways and they are both relatively old.

TripleX

New

Post by TripleX » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm trying to think of ways to replicate test day when PTing.

So far I've come up with:

1) set alarm to allow for 5hrs sleep
2) don't go pee in the morning
3) take some stimulants to replicate the anxiety
4) use the 7sage app to simulate the sounds

Any other suggestions?

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 pm

TripleX wrote:I'm trying to think of ways to replicate test day when PTing.

Any other suggestions?
I've heard of people with more extreme test anxiety taking weekly Saturday morning PTs on location at their test day site. Others take PTs in lecture halls (some while an undergrad class is taking a test), the library, et cetera to simulate being surrounded by people and to create that tense testtaking feeling that can't be had in your parents' basement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TripleX

New

Post by TripleX » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:53 pm

snagglepuss wrote:

Any other suggestions?
I've heard of people with more extreme test anxiety taking weekly Saturday morning PTs on location at their test day site. Others take PTs in lecture halls (some while an undergrad class is taking a test), the library, et cetera to simulate being surrounded by people and to create that tense testtaking feeling that can't be had in your parents' basement.
Haha ya I was thinking about sneaking in to an exam room, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth!

I find the 7sage app is good for the sounds and stimuli. You know it's working when you want to throw your iPhone out the window.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Any other suggestions?

Some prep companies offer free PT under real conditions. Just ignore most of what they're gonna tell you to try to buy their stuff and you'll be good.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Goddammit guys.. I was so sure of retaking but now I'm on the fence. I think my chances at HYS are low (below their GPA medians and few weaknesses in my transcript) so I'm considering taking my 172 and shooting for Columbia, which also makes most sense logistically for my SO. But my Synchro Genesis just came in.. FUCK!! No idea what to do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:12 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:Goddammit guys.. I was so sure of retaking but now I'm on the fence. I think my chances at HYS are low (below their GPA medians and few weaknesses in my transcript) so I'm considering taking my 172 and shooting for Columbia, which also makes most sense logistically for my SO. But my Synchro Genesis just came in.. FUCK!! No idea what to do.
What makes you think the 172 would preclude you from Columbia, or is it for financial reasons?

HeavenBeyond

New

Post by HeavenBeyond » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Just finished the flaw chapter of the LSAT Trainer.

I like the approach this book takes, very valuable! :)

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:51 pm

HeavenBeyond wrote:Just finished the flaw chapter of the LSAT Trainer.

I like the approach this book takes, very valuable! :)
I definitely agree, I am probably going to be heavily revisiting it in the coming weeks.

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:59 pm

if you're in school/working, how are you managing your time? especially for those in school, i now finals period is creeping in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”