December 2013 LSAT Study Group

jk148706

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby jk148706 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 am

modernista wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Didn't find a thread.

Anyone else prepping for December?

4th time taker here looking to dominate.

Largely ignored drilling on my past LSATs. I studied hard, not smart. Hoping for redemption this time.

In for December. I was going to take it in October but applying for fellowships is now consuming the bulk of my time with it being so close to the campus and external deadlines. I'm going to be a first-time test taker and haven't cracked open a book yet. If any seasoned test-takers have any advice to share, I'd be glad to hear it.

I know finding motivation to study is half the battle. So, does anyone have any tips on making studying more fun and exciting?

Here's what motivated me: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

modernista

Postby modernista » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 am

paglababa wrote:
riku33090 wrote:What are the best books for LG LR drills, im hesitant to spend any money on amazon lol

Get the PDF set for $80 on Cambridge. It is the best investment you can make.
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/logical-reasoning-by-type/

With regard to drilling with the Cambridge materials, how do you know you're getting the best bang for your buck? The online sets only contain the questions grouped up to PrepTest 40 in PDF format. That would mean I would need to buy another book for 41 - 60. Would I be better off purchasing the materials from Amazon or renting from Chegg?

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:26 am

modernista wrote:
paglababa wrote:
riku33090 wrote:What are the best books for LG LR drills, im hesitant to spend any money on amazon lol

With regard to drilling with the Cambridge materials, how do you know you're getting the best bang for your buck? The online sets only contain the questions grouped up to PrepTest 40 in PDF format. That would mean I would need to buy another book for 41 - 60. Would I be better off purchasing the materials from Amazon or renting from Chegg?

Nope dude. The online set is sufficient. You don't want to be drilling the newer material. You will save those 50-60s for full timed prep tests. If you can knock LR in the earliar tests, you won't have trouble on the new ones. I would also do the same thing for games. Plus having them in PDF is good because you can reprint and work on ones you miss.

One caveat: The RC in the modern tests are quite different. I know this has nothing to do with your questions regarding Cambridge LR, but thought you should know.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Checking in. Registered for October, but am 99% sure I'm going to have to take it in December instead...
If anyone is in the NYC/Long Island area and wants to meet up and create a study group, PM me. Would be cool to meet with people once or twice a week to check in on lsat studying.

lhn5007

Postby lhn5007 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:03 pm

Excited for apps to be opening up even though I haven't even taken the LSAT yet! But I guess its not a bad idea to look at what essays I'll be needing come December.

Also drilling for Logical Reasoning (my toughest section) has made things 100x easier. You begin to notice patterns in arguments and answers for each question type. Currently drilling difficulty level 1 and 2 from the LSAT Cambridge after each respective chapter in Manhattan LR. Will attack level 3 and 4 once through each question type. Very time consuming process but the gains are well worth it.

modernista

Postby modernista » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:00 am

paglababa wrote:
modernista wrote:
paglababa wrote:

Nope dude. The online set is sufficient. You don't want to be drilling the newer material. You will save those 50-60s for full timed prep tests. If you can knock LR in the earliar tests, you won't have trouble on the new ones. I would also do the same thing for games. Plus having them in PDF is good because you can reprint and work on ones you miss.

One caveat: The RC in the modern tests are quite different. I know this has nothing to do with your questions regarding Cambridge LR, but thought you should know.

Thanks for the tip. I also have the newest 10 that LSAC published and most, if not all of the PTs up to 58. I'm planning on acquiring 59 onward some time down the line.

Here's a question for y'all: How many hours should one put into studying per week or day?

Studying begins in earnest tomorrow. Tomorrow (and subsequent months leading up to the exam), I'll dine in hell...

Postby 10052014 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:05 am

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 am

modernista wrote:Here's a question for y'all: How many hours should one put into studying per week or day?

I think this really varies on a person to person basis.

Some seem more oriented towards a "less hours, more days" kind of approach, while others favor the "more hours, less days" tactic. I personally try to get in at least 2-3 hours a day. However, I'd like to get in more than that, its just often not possible with my current schedule. I've seen a lot of recommendations for 20-25 hours per week around TLS, so if you divided that up into 7 days, thats a little over 3 hours per day, on average.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:12 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
modernista wrote:Here's a question for y'all: How many hours should one put into studying per week or day?

Some seem more oriented towards a "less hours, more days" kind of approach, while others favor the "more hours, less days" tactic. I personally try to get in at least 2-3 hours a day. However, I'd like to get in more than that, its just often not possible with my current schedule. I've seen a lot of recommendations for 20-25 hours per week around TLS, so if you divided that up into 7 days, thats a little over 3 hours per day, on average.

I would say 25 would be good. I was doing 30-35 for all of July (working full time). That was intense/ brutal drilling time. Now that I am PTing, I am doing only 20ish a week now. Most of it is just reviewing the ~3 exams I take a week.

modernista

Postby modernista » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:19 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:

Thanks! That's really helpful. I work about 50-60 hours a week. So, I guess I've got to make time.

modernista

Postby modernista » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:36 am

paglababa wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

I would say 25 would be good. I was doing 30-35 for all of July (working full time). That was intense/ brutal drilling time. Now that I am PTing, I am doing only 20ish a week now. Most of it is just reviewing the ~3 exams I take a week.

Do you have a set schedule as in... on Monday, I'll read the chapter 1 of the PS LR Bible. Next Tuesday, I'll start drilling the LR. I hope you get my drift.

Postby 10052014 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 am

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nsquirrel_99

Postby nsquirrel_99 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:02 am

Hi just wanted to see what everyone was using to study. I have a few books but I would like to get something that I could use with the group.

lhn5007

Postby lhn5007 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:07 am

nsquirrel_99 wrote:Hi just wanted to see what everyone was using to study. I have a few books but I would like to get something that I could use with the group.

Currently am using the Manhattan LR guide, prefer it over Powerscore LR although the formal logic chapter from that book is top notch. Drilling with Cambridge LR Grouped by Type. Used Powerscore LG Bible and 7Sage Youtube videos for LG. Used Manhattan RC guide for RC. Started with Master the LSAT as an introductory book, not really recommended (it was before I discovered TLS). The LSAT Superprep is a must because it is made by LSAC, the company that creates the LSAT. 3 exams with complete explanations. Also have preptests 22+ (from LSAC) since I drill with PT 1-21.

Very expensive investment indeed but essentially nothing compared to the scholarship money that you can receive with a high score.

modernista

Postby modernista » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:26 pm

People who are already further into their studying than I am (assuming that's most of you), do any of you drill with PTs 41 and up?

kryptik

Postby kryptik » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:47 pm

Made the decision to bump things back from October to December. Checking in.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:30 am

jaylawyer09 wrote:
modernista wrote:
Do you have a set schedule as in... on Monday, I'll read the chapter 1 of the PS LR Bible. Next Tuesday, I'll start drilling the LR. I hope you get my drift.

Make the schedule on your way. You never know exactly how long you will stay drilling on LG. maybe something will be challenging and you will take a long time reviewing/practicing.

What I do is tape/pin all the months till test day and write on the days what I did, and see when I will start the next material. Very helpful

I would definitely agree with this, though again you ultimately will need to feel out what is best for you. The first time around, I had a very defined schedule that I now realize was too restrictive. This time around I've been much more fluid in how I approach the material, and my scores have improved more. I generally "plan" when I will take PTs, in that I set aside days just for those in which I take the PT and review it. However, the days in between fluctuate based on PT performance and how I feel about drilling. For instance, if I did especially bad on a certain type of LG, I'll focus on that a bit more, rather than arbitrarily drilling LR just because my schedule states I need to. I do establish goals, for example saying "I will drill this packet this week" but how I get to that point depends on the flow of all the other competing goals. I find a nice balance of freedom and pressure makes me most productive, personally.

I think jaylawyer09's suggestion of keeping tabs on what you've done is also sound advice!

tanes25

Postby tanes25 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:03 am

Just checking in. This weekend was bad. Very bad! Lol I now find it very hard to study at home because I study so much at work (lucky me)! Too quiet at home I guess. I decided to try to study at work because there's always noise and distractions coming from somewhere. I also have music playing in my ear as an added distraction. Now I've got to get comfortable and more motivated to study at home. When I study at home I have to try to create my "work environment" to be able to get anything accomplished. I've created some bad habits for myself. Weird, I know. Also, I was thinking about taking one of those free Saturday full length tests. Just to see where I'm scoring and also to take the test in one setting. Has anyone taken one? I havent taken the LSAT since Dec '08, so I figured I needed to get the feel of it again. I haven't done a full length test yet so I wanted to get used to being glued to a chair for about 4hrs and actually taking the test and not drifting off to la-la land. I've pretty much recovered from both surgeries so it's crunch time for me. No more excuses! How's everybody doing in their studies??? Good luck All! :mrgreen:

lhn5007

Postby lhn5007 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 am

tanes25 wrote:Just checking in. This weekend was bad. Very bad! Lol I now find it very hard to study at home because I study so much at work (lucky me)! Too quiet at home I guess. I decided to try to study at work because there's always noise and distractions coming from somewhere. I also have music playing in my ear as an added distraction. Now I've got to get comfortable and more motivated to study at home. When I study at home I have to try to create my "work environment" to be able to get anything accomplished. I've created some bad habits for myself. Weird, I know. Also, I was thinking about taking one of those free Saturday full length tests. Just to see where I'm scoring and also to take the test in one setting. Has anyone taken one? I havent taken the LSAT since Dec '08, so I figured I needed to get the feel of it again. I haven't done a full length test yet so I wanted to get used to being glued to a chair for about 4hrs and actually taking the test and not drifting off to la-la land. I've pretty much recovered from both surgeries so it's crunch time for me. No more excuses! How's everybody doing in their studies??? Good luck All! :mrgreen:

I feel the same way. I can study in Starbucks or any other coffee shop with all of the noise and distraction but when I try to study at home, I can't seem to focus. Like you, I created a "work environment" in a corner of my room with a large table, good lighting, and a computer chair. Getting motivated to use this space is another story but the key as to most things is to stop thinking about it and just do it. Also fear is a good motivator, fight or flight or freeze right?

I was thinking about attending a free Kaplan practice exam also. I think this is important to get a feel of what it's going to be like on test day. I'm also not above walking onto the campus where I've registered, pretending to be a student, and simulate the test in the room it's usually held in lol

modernista

Postby modernista » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
modernista wrote:

Make the schedule on your way. You never know exactly how long you will stay drilling on LG. maybe something will be challenging and you will take a long time reviewing/practicing.

What I do is tape/pin all the months till test day and write on the days what I did, and see when I will start the next material. Very helpful

I would definitely agree with this, though again you ultimately will need to feel out what is best for you. The first time around, I had a very defined schedule that I now realize was too restrictive. This time around I've been much more fluid in how I approach the material, and my scores have improved more. I generally "plan" when I will take PTs, in that I set aside days just for those in which I take the PT and review it. However, the days in between fluctuate based on PT performance and how I feel about drilling. For instance, if I did especially bad on a certain type of LG, I'll focus on that a bit more, rather than arbitrarily drilling LR just because my schedule states I need to. I do establish goals, for example saying "I will drill this packet this week" but how I get to that point depends on the flow of all the other competing goals. I find a nice balance of freedom and pressure makes me most productive, personally.

I think jaylawyer09's suggestion of keeping tabs on what you've done is also sound advice!

Thanks, y'all! I'm taking your advice and it's culminating into a beautiful three month calendar. I just hope three months is enough to prepare because everyone else seems to have been doing it for way longer.

modernista

Postby modernista » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:48 am

If anyone is using the LSAT Trainer, PowerScore books, MLSAT strategy guides, and Cambridge LSAT drill sets, what's analogous to what? :D

Postby 062914123 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dratini

Postby Dratini » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm

meegee wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread to post this.

But how much of a difference is there in applying earlier?

TCR is that the extra points from December is better than applying earlier, but if you were a splitter, would it be better for you to just wait a cycle if you bombed in Oct? From what I've read, if you're a splitter, you really need to apply as early as possible.

I pretty much have the same question as this person above and I don't think anyone replied?

For a splitter how important is it to apply earlier? Because I'm thinking about either taking the Oct. and applying early, but if I don't do well then taking the Dec or a later LSAT and waiting a cycle vs. taking the December and possibly getting a higher score than in Oct. but applying late.. Thoughts?

Postby 062914123 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhn5007

Postby lhn5007 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Dratini wrote:
meegee wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread to post this.

But how much of a difference is there in applying earlier?

TCR is that the extra points from December is better than applying earlier, but if you were a splitter, would it be better for you to just wait a cycle if you bombed in Oct? From what I've read, if you're a splitter, you really need to apply as early as possible.

I pretty much have the same question as this person above and I don't think anyone replied?

For a splitter how important is it to apply earlier? Because I'm thinking about either taking the Oct. and applying early, but if I don't do well then taking the Dec or a later LSAT and waiting a cycle vs. taking the December and possibly getting a higher score than in Oct. but applying late.. Thoughts?

I think it is really up to your personal preference. For me, sitting in October is a huge gamble and honestly with registration deadlines being today and the late registration deadline in a week or two the pressure is just too overwhelming. I'd rather have my wits about me than cram. I don't believe applying at the end of December or the first week of January to be considered late either but normal.

Also from what I've gathered, depending on which school you are applying to, boosts for splitters applying earlier may be negligible for the most splitter-friendly schools such as Northwestern and GULC:

http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/2013/08/applying-earlier-at-t14-does-it-matter.html

If you are aiming for CCP I would consider October, taking the data into account. Usually though, higher LSAT>earlier app.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”