December 2013 LSAT Study Group

mindarmed

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Postby mindarmed » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm

dasani13 wrote:I'm desperate for some advice. I'm PTing in the low 160s and it's been like a month and a half and I can't get to the mid/high-160s. I've drilled SO much LR but I still get about 5 wrong per section. However, when I'm doing blind review or just drilling level 4 LR questions, I get about 90% of the questions right. I'd say I have a pretty decent grasp of question types and how to approach them so problem seems to be when I'm actually taking the test-- I just can't execute. Any suggestions/recs from personal experience? I'm thinking of taking like a week of PTing like 5 tests in a row (one per day) to see if it helps with my stamina. Most PTs I've taken have been about a week apart. Thanks in advance for any help.

Is your only issue mental stamina? If so, I suggest eating a fair amount of protein and making sure you're getting good sleep so your mind is rested.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:15 pm

mindarmed wrote:armed PT 53

LR 1: -0
LG: -0
LR 2: -2 (21, 24)
RC: -0

Raw: 98
Scaled: 180

Saving spot for when PMT takes later tn. Next test will be PT 54 Saturday afternoon, too busy w. midterms this week to PT more.

Be my mentor, good Sir......(seriously though).

If you don't mind saying, how long have you been studying and are you retaking it, or first time coming up?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:38 pm

HardenUp wrote:

Saving spot for when PMT takes later tn. Next test will be PT 54 Saturday afternoon, too busy w. midterms this week to PT more.

If you don't mind saying, how long have you been studying and are you retaking it, or first time coming up?

3rd time taking. First time I studied for about 4 months, second time I didnt really go that hard did 10 PTs intermittently between work and school. Real motivation is studying with a fellow TLSer and friend for this take, both of us having the goal of 180.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:48 pm

mindarmed wrote:
HardenUp wrote:

3rd time taking. First time I studied for about 4 months, second time I didnt really go that hard did 10 PTs intermittently between work and school. Real motivation is studying with a fellow TLSer and friend for this take, both of us having the goal of 180.

That's great! I've been studying for about 3 months now in between a full semester of classes and working, but no where near breaking what I want. I'm now around the low 150s but need to be in the high 160's to be comfortable. I'm hoping to be taking the test this December, but I don't think I can keep the accuracy constant and get "that" good on the timing aspect. That's my hardest thing, the timing aspect. It kills me.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 pm

hardenup, just drill baby drill.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 pm

@Harden ... Then you need to identify which areas of the test are problematic and make sure you accurately select the credited answer choice. When you improve your accuracy, the speed with which you identify arguments and flaws will increase.

HeavenBeyond

Postby HeavenBeyond » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Cambridge LSAT wrote:
HeavenBeyond wrote:Can somebody link me to the LSAT Trainer?

Sorry, not familiar with who publishes it.

Thanks,

The LSAT Trainer

Thanks for posting this up!

Postby 10052014 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:39 pm

do you guise like my new avatar?

Postby 10052014 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

HardenUp

Postby HardenUp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:57 pm

mindarmed wrote:@Harden ... Then you need to identify which areas of the test are problematic and make sure you accurately select the credited answer choice. When you improve your accuracy, the speed with which you identify arguments and flaws will increase.

Thanks (guys),

I'll have to use all my patience on this test, and let the speed come after the accuracy. Easier said then done when you want a better score - haha.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:00 am

any of you guys fan of this movie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YDuSLXcX8

dosto

Postby dosto » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 am

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am

7sage is pretty good for Logic games. I'm decent at LG, but the thing is I make things way harder then they need to be lol. I have a photographic memory and am used to doing so many things in my head, so I'll keep a whole frame locked in my head instead of just writing it out. I also don't commit to inferences that well, I find a few, but usually end up finding most that are so obvious within the game... I usually just find the major ones and move to the games, which slows me down sometimes.

Anyway, nice study session yesterday. Having already gotten 3/4ths through Manhattan LG and LR, 7sage is actually helping to reinforce the beginning chapters of Manhattan, while I'm on the later chapters. It's a good little companion actually.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 am

toshiroh wrote:7sage is pretty good for Logic games. I'm decent at LG, but the thing is I make things way harder then they need to be lol. I have a photographic memory and am used to doing so many things in my head, so I'll keep a whole frame locked in my head instead of just writing it out. I also don't commit to inferences that well, I find a few, but usually end up finding most that are so obvious within the game... I usually just find the major ones and move to the games, which slows me down sometimes.

Anyway, nice study session yesterday. Having already gotten 3/4ths through Manhattan LG and LR, 7sage is actually helping to reinforce the beginning chapters of Manhattan, while I'm on the later chapters. It's a good little companion actually.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2006/04/kaavya_syndrome.html

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:do you guise like my new avatar?

My favorite one was the:

"UCI Law

[Dr. Dre picture]

LOL"

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Hotguy wrote:
toshiroh wrote:7sage is pretty good for Logic games. I'm decent at LG, but the thing is I make things way harder then they need to be lol. I have a photographic memory and am used to doing so many things in my head, so I'll keep a whole frame locked in my head instead of just writing it out. I also don't commit to inferences that well, I find a few, but usually end up finding most that are so obvious within the game... I usually just find the major ones and move to the games, which slows me down sometimes.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2006/04/kaavya_syndrome.html

Good memory, who gives a damn. The picture still stays in my head, take your pretentious bs somewhere else.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:50 pm

The manhattan set up for grouping games seems a bit time consuming. Or am I just over thinking it?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:53 pm

mindarmed wrote:PMT & armed retaking
PMT
LR1: -0
LR2: -2

Raw: 97

armed
LR1: -1
LR2: -0
RC: -8

Raw: 91
Scaled: 171

Still need to work on RC for me. PMT is chugging right a long just missed a couple of LRs

What test did you get a 171 on?

Also: SHOO. GET OUT OF HERE. NO MORE RETAKING, ARMED.

PS: Can I join your retakers group?

dosto

Postby dosto » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm

dosto5 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:The manhattan set up for grouping games seems a bit time consuming. Or am I just over thinking it?

I can't vouch for Manhattan in any way, but if it seems like too much try to look up the game in question on 7sage. They have about the most minimalist approach to games and it really helps get rid of clutter, which is very important IMO.

Okay, I just found In and Out games easier by just creating a chain etc. The whole binary logic chain chart approach seems effective, but cluttered at times. I just don't know if it's time effective. I guess I'll see how sage does it.
Last edited by toshiroh on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Also: SHOO. GET OUT OF HERE. NO MORE RETAKING, MDLG.

FTFY.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:13 pm

dosto5 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:The manhattan set up for grouping games seems a bit time consuming. Or am I just over thinking it?

I can't vouch for Manhattan in any way, but if it seems like too much try to look up the game in question on 7sage. They have about the most minimalist approach to games and it really helps get rid of clutter, which is very important IMO.

Hello Decemberers! I am actually not reretaking in December, but withdrawal from LSAT prep is a thing, so here I am.
When I first encountered the Manhattan in/out method (the "chain"), I was like, okay, first I write out the rules, then I put them on this chain, and then when I get to questions I draw some t-charts? I thought immediately, this takes too much time. And in reality, it does take too much time.

That said, in/out games were my biggest struggle, and so I was desperate for anything. I tried the "chain" on a few games, and though they were taking me a bit too long, they were so much easier. Following the arrows is extremely rewarding, and made most of the questions so easy that I felt like I was cheating a bit.

I only encountered the method a week or two before the October test, so I didn't have a very long time to work with it, but I felt so much more relaxed when I saw a grouping game on the test and knew how to tackle it (even if it maybe took me a bit too long and effed up my games performance over all).

Basically--if you find it helpful in slowmo, practice it a bunch so you can implement it more quickly. I think the key to that is skipping the part where you write out the rules, and just know how all the rules play out in the "chain."

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:23 pm

toshiroh wrote:
dosto5 wrote:

Okay, I just found In and Out games easier by just creating a chain etc. The whole binary logic chain chart approach seems effective, but cluttered at times. I just don't know if it's time effective. I guess I'll see how sage does it.

I actually had a lot of trouble with in/out games prior to the October test. I found that finding the 2 rules that are the most restrictive and making Hypos from them makes it go by a lot faster. That's just me though. In the one that did show on the Oct exam I knocked it out of the park because there were 2 rules that restricted a lot.

josh321

Postby josh321 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Posted this on the main prep forum, but I think its more appropriate here.

So I signed up to write the December 2013 LSAT, I'm currently using Cambridges LSAT Logical Reasoning by Type (PrepTests 1–38)
Grouped by Type & Arranged by Difficulty. Thanks to shadowofjazz, and his guidance, I'm interested in studying with someone whose in the same boat. I've already had an overview of all LR types and just drilling now, if anyone is interested in joining me, message me.

In terms of LG & RC I'm doing them from Cambridge as well, same type, arranged from difficulty.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”