December 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:On an obviously related note, is anyone else here working on their third take? I'm struggling with how I'm going to study, given that I've already taken almost every PT twice.
Im dealing with this as well. Right now I've just went back to the older PTs, since anything even remotely modern I am answering largely from memory. The problem with the older PTs is that I drilled from them so much I seem to be remembering the more difficult questions, even if have "forgotten" the majority of the test. This only applies to LR and RC. I forget LG problems within 2 days, its weird.
Hurm, this is what I'm about try. About to take PT 25 as a way of mixing it up, with the hope that since I haven't it twice (and maybe never in its entirety? although I've definitely done sections multiple times), it'll be a bit more challenging. Also hoping the older/different logic mixes it up and forces me to be more... present? In the zone? I don't know. Fully cognizant? Whatever. But yeah, I'm concerned that I've drilled these Qs too many times for it to actually make a difference.

I think what I'm going to do overall is work on getting my speed up and time down. Because maybe if I can train myself to be hella quick, I can compensate with time on PT 71 for my inability to truly further train accuracy / competency at this point. If that makes any sense....

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Hurm, this is what I'm about try. About to take PT 25 as a way of mixing it up, with the hope that since I haven't it twice (and maybe never in its entirety? although I've definitely done sections multiple times), it'll be a bit more challenging. Also hoping the older/different logic mixes it up and forces me to be more... present? In the zone? I don't know. Fully cognizant? Whatever. But yeah, I'm concerned that I've drilled these Qs too many times for it to actually make a difference.

I think what I'm going to do overall is work on getting my speed up and time down. Because maybe if I can train myself to be hella quick, I can compensate with time on PT 71 for my inability to truly further train accuracy / competency at this point. If that makes any sense....
Makes plenty of sense to me. I've read multiple times that an effective strategy is to just reduce your time for each section based on your familiarity with it. I've tried this with the tests I've seen the most, and it does seem to help a bit. Even though I'm still not being hit by the brick-wall of "never before seen" material, having far less time per question has been useful. I also force myself to acknowledge why each answer choice is right or wrong (even if I already know why). I feel like the reduced time, plus cognitively working out all five answer choices helped me, even if I had seen the question multiple times.

In regards to older LG, for me at least its definitely required me to be more present. I had forgotten how weird some of the older LGs are. While I do tend to forget the details of a LG game within a few days, I tend to retain core concepts, and thus am never really "shocked" by a repeat LG (unless its 3+ months ago). However, those early LGs definitely force me to pay close attention, especially when I do not allow myself the full time on each section.

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Been analyzing modern RC sections for a few hours today

looked at 60-65.

I'm starting to really understand now how people recommend understanding the overall structure of the passage. I can see it now. Does that mean you guys , when encountering reference/inference questions, refer to the passage a lot and read it? then hit the answer choices?

Because before I would try to read the passage make sure I know some or as best as possible of the main structure, then when hitting those types of questions, refer just a little bit back to passage and rely on memory. Then hit ac and try to eliminate ones that are narrow/broad/extreme etc. I feel I would get bogged down in the details while 1st reading the passage, which at the time I interpreted as the structure when it was just a detail.

However, there are a few questions , maybe 2 or 3, on each section where its pretty difficult. Even rereading that specific portion of the passage can only eliminate it down to 2 answer choices.

For those that are successful in RC, you feel what I am saying is resonating with your approach? I also found that perhaps, marking up the passage should be done after each paragraph I read rather than seeing something such as a critics view, marking it halfway while reading. I feel I should read the whole critic view or paragraph that it is in, then mark it up. Because when I mark it up while I'm still reading it I lose some comprehension.

let me know what you think because this is the only section holding me back from my goal of 170+. I'm missing 11 on this section or at least 9 on a regular basis.

Bratva

New

Post by Bratva » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 pm

PT 61
RC: -3
LR1:-5
LG:-0
LR2:-0
raw: 93

Is the first LR section harder than the second one or was I just really not in the zone for that section...-_- :(

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:59 am

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 am

Alright everyone - LSAT Trainer has arrived and I will begin my retake prep. I think I am going to go through each of the chapters for some reinforcement, but my specific focus will be on learning Matt Kim's RC methods.

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:48 pm

dosto5 wrote:Not set on December until I get my October score, but I've already taken every PT at least once, and 48-69 twice. This is a problem. Might revisit the 10s and 20s but those are so different I question their real worth.
+1 this is so true.

taks7

New

Post by taks7 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Took PT 51 today and got a 167; LR really got me on this one.

For those who have slightly more experience, in order to get 170+ on test day, when should I start breaking the 170 barrier in PTs?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:06 pm

PT 51 for my first look since the real thing last week.

LR1: -3
RC: -7
LR2: -6
LG: -0
Raw: 84 Score: 166

Left a lot of meat on the table in LR. When I went back for blind review there were a couple of assumption questions I fudged on.
For RC I concentrated on just understanding structure and then checking back as need. That is different to get used to, for sure, but I can see how it helps and I hope I can cut down at least 2-3 misses just by doing that and giving myself more time on the questions.
Games was a breeze, per usual. Since I finished Manhattan LG I haven't looked back to anything over -2.

Feeling confident about breaking 170 barrier after buying the LR Bible and all of the cambridge LR drill packets. Will be giving Manhattan RC another go in between my LR drilling.

Bobnoxious

Bronze

Post by Bobnoxious » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:28 pm

From my June test experience, and why I tied on one helluva bloody mary drunk right afterward...

Apparently had too much coffee. The bladder attacked HARD about 3 minutes into LG. I freaked the fuck out. Went to the restroom and pissed for what felt like an hour. Got back to my seat and fucking froze. I started working the games and got immediately flustered knowing that I'd eaten up valuable time on my worst section. I got so hurried mapping things out that I reversed my variables on one of the rules, figured the mistake out about 9 minutes in and got even more upset and flustered. Said "fuck it" and moved onto the next game. I couldn't recover. I swear, after about 10 minutes of that I just gave up, bubbled in about 20 "Ds," and spent the next 10 minutes or so trying to calm the hell down and just accept that 1) I've popped my LSAT cherry and learned a hard lesson about fluid intake, 2) I'll do better in October, and 3) I'm really not ready for LG and NEED tons of help because it takes me WAY TOO LONG to see necessary inferences (even when I don't transpose variables).

I rescheduled from October to December, so I'll update on how different the experience is. Oh, by the way, I'm LOVING the 7Sage program so far. Now I just need to hope that it translates into a score I'll be satisfied with come December 7th.

nooooo

New

Post by nooooo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Took two PTs today:

SPA (163)
LR1: -5
RC: -5
LR2: -7
LG: -1
Raw: 83 Score: 163

PT01 (172)
LR1: -2
LR2: -5
Raw: 90 Score: 172

I never took any of the first 12 PTs, thinking they would be too irrelevant, but I noticed in the MLSAT/Bibles/Cambridge they were being used, so I decided to give it a crack. I wasn't in the right mindset for the first PT (SPA), so after a nice lunch I decided to do another with a clearer head. Turned out a bit better.

Before the first PT I was drilling Nec., Suff. and Flaw for about 2 hours. I really need to get my timing better on the harder problems. I go through the problems 10 at a time in the Cambridge packets, does anyone have a better method? Does anyone just go through all 100+ in one sitting? I'm open to anything.

HeavenBeyond

New

Post by HeavenBeyond » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:34 pm

nooooo wrote:Took two PTs today:

SPA (163)

PT01 (172)

I never took any of the first 12 PTs, thinking they would be too irrelevant, but I noticed in the MLSAT/Bibles/Cambridge they were being used, so I decided to give it a crack. I wasn't in the right mindset for the first PT (SPA), so after a nice lunch I decided to do another with a clearer head. Turned out a bit better.

Before the first PT I was drilling Nec., Suff. and Flaw for about 2 hours. I really need to get my timing better on the harder problems. I go through the problems 10 at a time in the Cambridge packets, does anyone have a better method? Does anyone just go through all 100+ in one sitting? I'm open to anything.
I've been doing 10 at a time then blind reviewing the questions I circled. It seems to be working for the NA questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:37 pm

HeavenBeyond wrote:

SPA (163)

PT01 (172)

I've been doing 10 at a time then blind reviewing the questions I circled. It seems to be working for the NA questions.
Are you guys timing your drilling at all?
About to tackle some of my Cambridge LR packets tomorrow and trying to plan out my attack.

nooooo

New

Post by nooooo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:28 pm

JustHawkin wrote: Are you guys timing your drilling at all?
About to tackle some of my Cambridge LR packets tomorrow and trying to plan out my attack.
10 in 10 for Difficulty 1
10 in 12 for Difficultly 2-3
10 in 15 for harder.

Really aiming for -2 minutes for even the most difficult of the questions.

vicpin5190

Silver

Post by vicpin5190 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:50 am

Drilled about 30 1,2, and some 3 Most Supports, 15 Level 3 Necessary Assump's and 10 level 1 Must Be Trues today, but overall a light day.

Tomorrow going to spend half of the day drilling and a night time PT.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:14 am

nooooo wrote:
10 in 15 for harder.

did you take it this october?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nooooo

New

Post by nooooo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:28 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
nooooo wrote:
10 in 15 for harder.

did you take it this october?
Yes.

-dasein-

New

Post by -dasein- » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:54 am

Throwing my hat in for December. I took in October and I feel it went well, but there is always more to grow with this test so I'm gonna keep going.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:59 am

I haven't started timing my drills. But do you all feel it helps with timing. I ask, because it's not like you'll get 10 must be trues in a row.

My day yesterday
7 hours of studying.

Started 7sage, which seems to be great so far,but it's tough trying to really listen to the basics when you already know it.

Did Reading comp- Manhattan LSAT

Drilled most supported since LsatQA says that's my weakest section.

Today will probably be more of the same.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 am

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nooooo

New

Post by nooooo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:36 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:

I take 5 from the level 1, level 2, 3, and 4, and put them together to make a "section" of Necc questions, for example.

Ooooooooh. I dig dis.

HeavenBeyond

New

Post by HeavenBeyond » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:00 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
HeavenBeyond wrote:

SPA (163)

PT01 (172)

Are you guys timing your drilling at all?
When I do the Cambridge drills, I don't time myself. I find it more valuable to understand how the right answers are right and the wrong answers wrong. You start to see patterns that the LSAT uses.

I don't know what others do, but this has been working for me :)

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:27 pm

PMT & armed retaking
PMT
LR1: -0
LR2: -2
RC: -0

Raw: 97
Scaled: 180

armed
LR1: -1
LR2: -0
RC: -8

Raw: 91
Scaled: 171

Still need to work on RC for me. PMT is chugging right a long just missed a couple of LRs

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”