December 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
t-14orbust

Gold

Re: December 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey bros, do you all know whether or not my app will be reviewed if I already have an LSAT on file, but am set to take the December LSAT? I've recently started contemplating retaking for a better shot at Y/Hamilton(marginal, I know, but I don't want to suffer from a case of the what-ifs).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:52 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Hey bros, do you all know whether or not my app will be reviewed if I already have an LSAT on file, but am set to take the December LSAT? I've recently started contemplating retaking for a better shot at Y/Hamilton(marginal, I know, but I don't want to suffer from a case of the what-ifs).

I think you should ask jbagelboy about this

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Hey bros, do you all know whether or not my app will be reviewed if I already have an LSAT on file, but am set to take the December LSAT? I've recently started contemplating retaking for a better shot at Y/Hamilton(marginal, I know, but I don't want to suffer from a case of the what-ifs).
Hey, let me know! I want to apply to my safety schools the first day applications open.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

I think you should ask jbagelboy about this
Did he do that last cycle?

Logicgames14

New

Post by Logicgames14 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm prepping for a retake . Need to score in the 160-170 range from a previous score of 138

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Logicgames14 wrote:I'm prepping for a retake . Need to score in the 160-170 range from a previous score of 138
:shock:

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Really considering joining you December takers. Been prepping for October since April, but I might need more time.

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:39 pm

jk148706 wrote:
Logicgames14 wrote:I'm prepping for a retake . Need to score in the 160-170 range from a previous score of 138
:shock:
It's tough to do, but I think with a lot of hard work and the right tools big jumps are possible. I think for most people who score very low initially the main problem is a poor LSAT foundation. I scored a 146 on th Dec. 2012 LSAT and I've made significant improvements since reading guides and drilling by type. Anything is possible.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:47 pm

^Apparently the 'LSAT Trainer' is TCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:55 am

Everything is starting to click with regards to my prep. RC and LG sections are getting done on time and with no more than -1 incorrect. I will say that it happened when I started focusing on reading RC passages for structure and summarizing the points of each paragraph at the end of each paragraph. Not only am I paying more attention, I also made answering questions easier by will having reference points for all the question types. Improvement on LG happened after repetition of games, setting up diagrams per question type, and making inferences occurred consistently.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:45 am

I will say that it happened when I started focusing on reading RC passages for structure and summarizing the points of each paragraph at the end of each paragraph
Seems so silly but it really does make a huge difference.

I might be pushing back till December depending how my next PT goes. I cant seem to string a decent LG section together; its holding me back from reaching the 160's.

meegee

Bronze

Post by meegee » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:40 am

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this.

But how much of a difference is there in applying earlier?

TCR is that the extra points from December is better than applying earlier, but if you were a splitter, would it be better for you to just wait a cycle if you bombed in Oct? From what I've read, if you're a splitter, you really need to apply as early as possible.

lavender01

New

Post by lavender01 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:59 pm

hey, so I finished the LRB and I have about 100 pages left in the Manhattan LR guide. I noticed that it was easier for me to follow and catch on to the concepts while working through the Manhattan guide. I do feel the apparent ease of the Manhattan guide was due to me thoroughly reading the LRB first. But in comparison to the Manhattan guide, the LRB was way too technical and was kind of overkill with their different necessary steps per question type (if that makes sense). So, I was wondering, is their LGB similar in that respect? I have the LGB and Manhattan's logic games guide. Which book should I start with first? Or is it not necessary to do both?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HardenUp

New

Post by HardenUp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:05 am

ManoftheHour wrote:PTing 168-171 right now. Although, I'm taking a step back to drill questions by type.

Some of my past LSAT follies include:

-Not drilling. I literally didn't know what drilling was until one month before my 3rd LSAT. By then it was too late.
-Not always doing an experimental section when PTing. Stamina was definitely an issue.

Now that I'm actually reading Manhattan one chapter at a time and drilling 200 problems of the same type that correspond to the chapter, I am actually learning the strategies for the first time. Going to be doing that for this entire month until I finish both Manhattan LG/LR books and the Cambridge series.

After that, it's 3 months of PTs and RC.

I hope no one makes the same mistakes as I did. Not going to lie. I felt really confident about the last exam only to find out that I sucked. I finally reviewed my exam and discovered that I made a bunch of dumb LR errors on (such as on the sufficient/necessary assumption questions). I read all fast, understood the stimulus, read the stem, then forgot about the stem (and thus forgot what exactly I was looking for) because I already "had an answer in mind" and then chose a necessary assumption correct answer for a sufficient assumption question (and vice versa). Dumb dumb errors. Got too cocky and lost my focus.

After rereading Manhattan and doing 300+ questions on just those types, I don't think I'll ever miss another one again.

Took me three exams to learn but I am thankful enough for how things turned out in my life this past year to allow me to take one more shot at LSAT glory.

Any other retakers in here? If so, what'd you guys learn from the past exams?
So, I must ask: What's drilling....

I've been studying for two months on and off and never asked that question.

Thanks!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:44 pm

HardenUp wrote:So, I must ask: What's drilling....
When you answer questions of one particular question type over and over again from the Cambridge LR bundles (http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/lo ... g-by-type/) for example, you'd do 30 'must be true' questions from the "must be true" packet; same goes for LG, you're "drilling" a particular game type over and over again until you become familiar with its mechanics. Essentially, drilling = repetition to build familiarity to recognize patterns

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:37 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
When you answer questions of one particular question type over and over again from the Cambridge LR bundles (http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/lo ... g-by-type/) for example, you'd do 30 'must be true' questions from the "must be true" packet; same goes for LG, you're "drilling" a particular game type over and over again until you become familiar with its mechanics. Essentially, drilling = repetition to build familiarity to recognize patterns
It helps a lot. Example: Instead of being mislead by "premise booster" answers on assumption questions, I can now not only identify them as wrong, but know exactly why they're wrong. They stick out like a sore thumb.

raindrop

New

Post by raindrop » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Checking in. Still waiting on materials though... Is there anything I should add to this list of materials:
The Logic Games Bible
The Logical Reasoning Bible
The Reading Comprehension Bible
The LSAT Superprep
10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests
Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests
10 More Actual, Official LSAT Preptests
10 New Actual, Official LSAT Preptests
PrepTest 62
PrepTest 63
PrepTest 64
PrepTest 65
PrepTest 66
PrepTest 67
PrepTest 68

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

HardenUp

New

Post by HardenUp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:42 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
It helps a lot. Example: Instead of being mislead by "premise booster" answers on assumption questions, I can now not only identify them as wrong, but know exactly why they're wrong. They stick out like a sore thumb.
Ahh - I can see how that would help.

Are any of you taking the Blueprint Online course. I've been doing that and believe it's helping a fair amount. There's just so many other places to get your info from.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:06 am

jaylawyer09 wrote:
raindrop wrote:Checking in. Still waiting on materials though... Is there anything I should add to this list of materials:
The Logic Games Bible
The LSAT Superprep
PrepTest 62
PrepTest 63
PrepTest 64
PrepTest 65
PrepTest 66
PrepTest 67
PrepTest 68
Cambridge drills, answer explanations
To add to that:

Most answer explanations can be found here:

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/

All you have to do is use the search bar on the top right. You can also find explanations for LG/RC for each section on almost every PT.

raindrop

New

Post by raindrop » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:
raindrop wrote:Checking in. Still waiting on materials though... Is there anything I should add to this list of materials:
The Logic Games Bible
The LSAT Superprep
PrepTest 62
PrepTest 63
PrepTest 64
PrepTest 65
PrepTest 66
PrepTest 67
PrepTest 68
Cambridge drills, answer explanations
To add to that:

Most answer explanations can be found here:

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/

All you have to do is use the search bar on the top right. You can also find explanations for LG/RC for each section on almost every PT.
Thanks guys, both look like great resources.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:50 am

Ugh it's looking more and more like I will end up here. After studying my ass off and only getting a 163 on my last PT, I may push my test off until December. Good luck dudes.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:54 am

cricketlove00 wrote:Ugh it's looking more and more like I will end up here. After studying my ass off and only getting a 163 on my last PT, I may push my test off until December. Good luck dudes.
didnt u take in june?

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:56 am

cricketlove00 wrote:Ugh it's looking more and more like I will end up here. After studying my ass off and only getting a 163 on my last PT, I may push my test off until December. Good luck dudes.
Same here... Just don't know if I'm ready for Oct yet

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:59 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
didnt u take in june?
Hell naw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”