Are old prep tests reliable interpretations of your score?

RLowry23

Are old prep tests reliable interpretations of your score?

Postby RLowry23 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I am retaking from a 163 and am taking a lot of older preptests right now to nail down my core areas to improve on, I have been scoring around 170 on these preptests. Is that a reliable indication of my improvement or is it slightly skewed since they are older and the test has, theoretically, gotten harder?

Thanks.

wtrc

Re: Are old prep tests reliable interpretations of your score?

Postby wtrc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 pm

RLowry23 wrote:I am retaking from a 163 and am taking a lot of older preptests right now to nail down my core areas to improve on, I have been scoring around 170 on these preptests. Is that a reliable indication of my improvement or is it slightly skewed since they are older and the test has, theoretically, gotten harder?

Thanks.

How old are the tests- which PTs?

They are accurate representations of what you need to work on IMO, but maybe not as much score. The test hasn't necessarily gotten harder- some LG's are actually easier now, for example- but it has changed. General consensus here is use PT's 1-39 for Cambridge Drilling or sections, and then 40 and on for full PT's.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:57 pm

In my experience PT's 1-20 are not reliable indicators of the score you'd get on a more recent PT. However, they are reliable indicators of your potential. If you're scoring highly on them it is definitely a win, but keep on studying. Good luck.

RLowry23

Postby RLowry23 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Oops, meant to include that in the post. The ones I am taking now are from the 30's!
wtrcoins3 wrote:
RLowry23 wrote:I am retaking from a 163 and am taking a lot of older preptests right now to nail down my core areas to improve on, I have been scoring around 170 on these preptests. Is that a reliable indication of my improvement or is it slightly skewed since they are older and the test has, theoretically, gotten harder?

Thanks.

How old are the tests- which PTs?

They are accurate representations of what you need to work on IMO, but maybe not as much score. The test hasn't necessarily gotten harder- some LG's are actually easier now, for example- but it has changed. General consensus here is use PT's 1-39 for Cambridge Drilling or sections, and then 40 and on for full PT's.[/quote

I was wondering if I should do that, just use the early ones as sections and drills.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”