Where do you guys take your PTs?

jetpackjoe

Where do you guys take your PTs?

Postby jetpackjoe » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 am

I'm entering the stage in my studies where I am going to be taking more and more PTs, and since I am sharing a room with my brother I don't think home is going to cut it. Public Library hours don't work well with my work schedule. I was thinking of trying local community college or university libraries if the parking works out. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys can share where you do (did) your practice tests. Thanks

Postby 10052014 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:30 am

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuffyjohnson

Re: Where do you guys take your PTs?

Postby tuffyjohnson » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 pm

It can be a difficult thing, for sure. I almost decided to rent an office because I was having such a hard time. Gonna have to really think about it dude. Libraries at universities generally have better/longer hours than do public libraries.

DivineJustice

Postby DivineJustice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:34 pm

You can try a coffee shop as well although those may be too loud. During the summer I usually just do timed sections/PT's at the library, and then when I return to college I will use my university libraries.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:56 pm

I do them in coffee shops. Volume hasn't affected my scores. If anything, I think I prefer doing them in coffee shops over libraries. I may overthink things in the complete silence.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Don't get accustomed to only perfect silence; there's a decent chance you won't get it on test day. Practice in a variety of conditions.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Don't get accustomed to only perfect silence; there's a decent chance you won't get it on test day. Practice in a variety of conditions.

^ Agreed with this. Do some perfect silence, some annoying Starbucks-overplayed-music cafes, some semi-quiet libraries.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Don't get accustomed to only perfect silence; there's a decent chance you won't get it on test day. Practice in a variety of conditions.

^ Agreed with this. Do some perfect silence, some annoying Starbucks-overplayed-music cafes, some semi-quiet libraries.

How about in a bar while drinking beer? I think if it gets to that point and you're hitting at least 170+, then you just own this test.

vuthy

Postby vuthy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 pm

A classic example of correlation without causation, but my three highest PTs have been in noisy Starbucks, while my three lowest were in a zero-noise library carrel. So obviously my plan for PT 70 is to bring coffee and loud people to the testing center. That's permitted, right?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 am

Otunga wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

How about in a bar while drinking beer? I think if it gets to that point and you're hitting at least 170+, then you just own this test.

vuthy wrote:A classic example of correlation without causation, but my three highest PTs have been in noisy Starbucks, while my three lowest were in a zero-noise library carrel. So obviously my plan for PT 70 is to bring coffee and loud people to the testing center. That's permitted, right?

Tcr is bringing beer and loud people to the test.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:40 am

Otunga wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

Never tried a bar, but I took PTs with my dad talking to me about what pizza to order, and with the TV on. nbd.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 pm

We have an area on campus right outside of our food court that isn't exceedingly busy but at the same time has a steady traffic flow with people interacting. That is where I do every other practice test. I do complete silence then a bit of noise simply because where I will be taking the test there is usually only 6-10 other people taking the test, so others who have taken the test there say it has been completely silent. I recommend (if possible) visiting with someone who has taken the test at the location where you plan to, and find out what the conditions were like. Also our law society will reserve the room the LSAT is given on campus once a month, and about 4-10 people will come and we will test under exact(ish) conditions.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Are you guys serious? I have no idea how you PT/study in loud busy places. If I tried to do a PT at my local Caribou it would be a disaster, not to mention I would know people and they would likely expect me to interact with them.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I think a large portion of tests should be taken in quiet settings but in the last month certainly one should try to make the most of some of those free Kaplan LSAT PT's. Replicating the test environment is crucial even if it is Kaplan.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:40 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:Are you guys serious? I have no idea how you PT/study in loud busy places. If I tried to do a PT at my local Caribou it would be a disaster, not to mention I would know people and they would likely expect me to interact with them.

You become distraction-proof. A helicopter could have landed in my exam room and I wouldn't have cared. Much better than having one of the most important tests of your life go to shit because someone at the next table was breathing loudly. (Read the LSAT threads. People have bombed the test for the most bullshit reasons.)

Also, I only had time issues on LG, so I could have a 2-minute conversation with my dad about pizza in the middle of an RC section and still be fine.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:47 pm

When I had room mates, I used to study in this 200 year old, 220 seat antique opera house by myself.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:27 pm

In my work's conference room after I clock out. Nice and quiet, but also the tables kind of mimic what my real testing situation will be like. I really thought distractions were going to ruin me on test day because I would get flustered in libraries by talking/moving. However, I guess I was so zoned in on test day that I couldn't hear anything around me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”