ADHD/ADD and the LSAT

PM87

ADHD/ADD and the LSAT

Postby PM87 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:39 am

deleted spam.

Void

Re: ADHD/ADD and the LSAT

Postby Void » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am

PM87 wrote:Hey everyone, I don't know if this topic belongs here. If it doesn't then please excuse me!

I'm interested in how people who have been diagnosed with ADHD/ADD have coped with the LSAT. I'm just curious, that's all.

I have ADHD, and through the first month of intense studying for the LSAT without meds, I turned to Focalin. Whereas previously without it I struggled with a crippling endurance issue toward the end of and after the first section, I can now work through the sections continuously with no issues at all. No more distractions, no more stamina issues, and, most importantly, no more aggrivation.

How has it been for you guys/gals with ADHD/ADD who have taken/are preparing for the LSAT, and how have you been able to cope?

Wrong section. Also, spam.

Mredav44

Postby Mredav44 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by Mredav44 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudeman2014

Postby dudeman2014 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:40 pm

You'll be fine because you will wind up getting extra time, and time is the biggest challenge for most test takers on the LSAT. Then in law school you'll get extra time on exams and you'll also get extra time on the bar exam. Basically just make sure you play up how debilitating your affliction is and you should be set for a 170+, law review, and smooth sailing to a bar card

/thread

GJWheeler

Postby GJWheeler » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:53 am

IMO don't apply for extra time. it's not a lifelong benefit. if focalin is working so great for you, you probably don't have serious ADHD and you'll be fine (and you won't need to have a * next to your LSAT score nor be conspicuously absent from finals once you're in law school)

longhorns89

Postby longhorns89 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:32 pm

dudeman2014 wrote:You'll be fine because you will wind up getting extra time, and time is the biggest challenge for most test takers on the LSAT. Then in law school you'll get extra time on exams and you'll also get extra time on the bar exam. Basically just make sure you play up how debilitating your affliction is and you should be set for a 170+, law review, and smooth sailing to a bar card

/thread

And don't forget about all of those judges who will gladly extend deadlines or clients who will put off their multi-million-dollar deals for a few days

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:45 pm

As a person with ADHD, I find the idea of extra time for ADHD ridiculous. The LSAT is a timed test. Part of the point is to see how well you can do these tasks WITHIN A GIVEN TIME. Everyone could do them better given more time, and the fact that someone has labeled YOUR lesser ability to do them correctly within the time a "disorder" should not matter. For the rest of your life you will be required to complete tasks within a given time. You will not get extra time for ADHD. My advice to you is develop strategies to cope with it.

spartjdawg

Postby spartjdawg » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:17 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:As a person with ADHD, I find the idea of extra time for ADHD ridiculous. The LSAT is a timed test. Part of the point is to see how well you can do these tasks WITHIN A GIVEN TIME. Everyone could do them better given more time, and the fact that someone has labeled YOUR lesser ability to do them correctly within the time a "disorder" should not matter. For the rest of your life you will be required to complete tasks within a given time. You will not get extra time for ADHD. My advice to you is develop strategies to cope with it.

I agree with this mostly. However, If it takes a person with ADHD 10% longer than others to do a task, then they just have less personal time. Very very rarely is 100% of a person's life devoted to work.

GJWheeler

Postby GJWheeler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:26 am

spartjdawg wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:As a person with ADHD, I find the idea of extra time for ADHD ridiculous. The LSAT is a timed test. Part of the point is to see how well you can do these tasks WITHIN A GIVEN TIME. Everyone could do them better given more time, and the fact that someone has labeled YOUR lesser ability to do them correctly within the time a "disorder" should not matter. For the rest of your life you will be required to complete tasks within a given time. You will not get extra time for ADHD. My advice to you is develop strategies to cope with it.

I agree with this mostly. However, If it takes a person with ADHD 10% longer than others to do a task, then they just have less personal time. Very very rarely is 100% of a person's life devoted to work.

I don't think that was his/her point. When someone needs something by 3PM, you can't say "i'll just skip an episode of Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo tonight and get this done"

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:35 am

...The person never mentioned applying for accommodations. S/he is simply asking if the meds helped anyone else who may struggle with this...If the meds work, you wouldn't need accommodations...

Also, this is in the wrong section, but this certainly isn't spam...Calm down people, just wait for a mod to move it...

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Lol, law and ADD doesn't make much sense, but we live in America where everyone has the right to dream. Who knows things might work out, a body builder became governor of one of the biggest states in the country. Clearly anything is possible.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:49 am

blsingindisguise wrote:For the rest of your life you will be required to complete tasks within a given time. You will not get extra
time for ADHD. My advice to you is develop strategies to cope with it.

This may be the reason that LSAC rarely gives extra time to test-takers who request special accommodations.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:15 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Lol, law and ADD doesn't make much sense, but we live in America where everyone has the right to dream. Who knows things might work out, a body builder became governor of one of the biggest states in the country. Clearly anything is possible.

ah, an excuse to post this tls favorite -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0nP4NzS9M

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”