cambridge 400 most difficult lr questions

Bratva

cambridge 400 most difficult lr questions

Postby Bratva » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:01 am

how did you guys go through these questions? did you do them timed? ... i'm not sure if i'm doing the questions effectively because i'm taking much more time than i have during an actual test on each question when i'm doing these questions.

rftdd888

Re: cambridge 400 most difficult lr questions

Postby rftdd888 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:15 am

You're probably taking the same amount of time it would take on a PT -- these are the hardest questions that everyone takes a bit more time with. I don't time this packet whatsoever and I don't recommend doing so, because the point of using the packet is to refine your thinking by doing the hardest work. Time your PTs, that's sufficient.

Generally I think timing drilling is always a waste of time, pun not intended. Unless you're abnormally slow.

Trajectory

Postby Trajectory » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:41 am

I took them 25 at a time, to mimic a real section. I did not do all them timed, especially at first since these are difficult right off the bat (not like regular LR where questions 15-20+ are difficult). It was frustrating and it was taxing on me at the end of the sections. After a few times I really wanted to time myself to see if I can finish in 35 min...but it didnt happen. I timed myself a few times just to get the feel of being under the gun with tough questions. More or less the timing didnt help much. What did help is doing these questions in sections of 25. When it came time to PT the LR questions on my test just seemed silly at first after sections of difficult LR. I finished all 400...too quickly. I would recommend having a better strategy than busting them out like I did. They helped me so much with LR..I just wish there was more (without wasting potential PT material)

Postby 10052014 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:09 am

rftdd888 wrote:You're probably taking the same amount of time it would take on a PT -- these are the hardest questions that everyone takes a bit more time with. I don't time this packet whatsoever and I don't recommend doing so, because the point of using the packet is to refine your thinking by doing the hardest work. Time your PTs, that's sufficient.

Generally I think timing drilling is always a waste of time, pun not intended. Unless you're abnormally slow.

ok got it! thanks. did you reach the level where you got all the difficult questions right?

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:11 am

Trajectory wrote:I took them 25 at a time, to mimic a real section. I did not do all them timed, especially at first since these are difficult right off the bat (not like regular LR where questions 15-20+ are difficult). It was frustrating and it was taxing on me at the end of the sections. After a few times I really wanted to time myself to see if I can finish in 35 min...but it didnt happen. I timed myself a few times just to get the feel of being under the gun with tough questions. More or less the timing didnt help much. What did help is doing these questions in sections of 25. When it came time to PT the LR questions on my test just seemed silly at first after sections of difficult LR. I finished all 400...too quickly. I would recommend having a better strategy than busting them out like I did. They helped me so much with LR..I just wish there was more (without wasting potential PT material)

yea i have a feeling that i'm going through the 400 questions too quickly... did you sense the improvement during the drilling or after you finished them and started to do pts?

Trajectory

Postby Trajectory » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:07 am

For me, tons. I was having serious difficulty with LR. I was getting around -7 PER section sometimes. While doing the Cambridge Difficult LR book I was also reading the MLSAT LR book and drilling each question type from Cambridges LR by Type. But either before I started studying or after I would take 25 questions from the Difficult packet and drill them time/un-timed. Forcing myself to do all of those problems and breaking down each difficult question I got wrong made the easier LR questions a breeze. After it was all said and done I got down to -2..-3 per section, if that.

Anyway I'm just saying that for me it might have been some combo between all of the other prep material I went through AND the difficult questions that helped. But I really felt like the Difficult LR helped the most, by a long shot. I felt like thats what changed my thinking. On PTs it made everything easier up until 15-20..whenever the "difficult" questions came. They started to seem normal, it wasn't as daunting to tackle them. I guess if I had another chance at that book I would do ~20 questions at a time and really work through them as slow as I need to. Drilling 25 at times got to be too much

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Trajectory wrote:For me, tons. I was having serious difficulty with LR. I was getting around -7 PER section sometimes. While doing the Cambridge Difficult LR book I was also reading the MLSAT LR book and drilling each question type from Cambridges LR by Type. But either before I started studying or after I would take 25 questions from the Difficult packet and drill them time/un-timed. Forcing myself to do all of those problems and breaking down each difficult question I got wrong made the easier LR questions a breeze. After it was all said and done I got down to -2..-3 per section, if that.

Anyway I'm just saying that for me it might have been some combo between all of the other prep material I went through AND the difficult questions that helped. But I really felt like the Difficult LR helped the most, by a long shot. I felt like thats what changed my thinking. On PTs it made everything easier up until 15-20..whenever the "difficult" questions came. They started to seem normal, it wasn't as daunting to tackle them. I guess if I had another chance at that book I would do ~20 questions at a time and really work through them as slow as I need to. Drilling 25 at times got to be too much

awesome thanks.. i might have to go back and redo the questions cause i finished them way too quickly i did about 100 a day

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”