Reading Comprehension Help Needed Badly Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ElectricSheep

New

Reading Comprehension Help Needed Badly

Post by ElectricSheep » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm

RC is probably my weakest spot for me on the LSAT.

Right now I'm drilling the RC's from 1-20 and I'm getting roughly -2 to -3 wrong on each passage. It's ridiculous! I'm stopping for a moment because I don't know what the heck is going on and I don't want to be burning through reading passages not improving.
I marvel at the fact people can get 0 to 1 wrong on this section.
Can anyone help me....please?

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:42 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Reading Comprehension Help Needed Badly

Post by bp shinners » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:01 pm

There's an old parlor game/IQ test thing that crops up, most people have seen it. There's a picture that they tell you to stare at for 30 seconds, and then they're going to ask you questions about it. The picture has a bunch of crazy stuff in it, and you spend the time counting the green jackets and seeing what's hanging on the walls.

Then, they ask you questions about the frame of the picture. You realize quickly that you completely overlooked that part of what they gave you, and you have no clue how to answer the questions.

This is what RC is like on the LSAT. You're used to looking at the actual picture (the facts), but they're going to ask you about the frame (structure and viewpoints). It makes you feel dumb, because you feel like you read and understood the passage, but they're asking you about elements you wouldn't normally focus on or consider a part of the passage.

So it's important to realize that you'll need to shift your focus before you can answer the RC questions. This is a very important first step because it shows an acknowledgement that you have to change the way you read and approach the material, which is difficult when you've been reading and approaching material in the same way for 20 years, give or take.

So don't just burn through the tests. Make sure you review the passages, not just to see what the answers are but to see what elements are asked about and how you could have noted those elements while reading through the passage. See where the answers are coming from so that you can look for those structural elements in future passages.

scandk

Bronze

Re: Reading Comprehension Help Needed Badly

Post by scandk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 pm

bp shinners wrote: So it's important to realize that you'll need to shift your focus before you can answer the RC questions. This is a very important first step because it shows an acknowledgement that you have to change the way you read and approach the material, which is difficult when you've been reading and approaching material in the same way for 20 years, give or take.

So don't just burn through the tests. Make sure you review the passages, not just to see what the answers are but to see what elements are asked about and how you could have noted those elements while reading through the passage. See where the answers are coming from so that you can look for those structural elements in future passages.
Thanks for this tidbit about reviewing RC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”