LR PT10--S4--Q19

canterlol

LR PT10--S4--Q19

Postby canterlol » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi there,

A sometime lurker of TLS, I'm currently working through the Cambridge LR bundles, and need aid from y'all regarding this "Flaw" question; I've reviewed Manhattan's LR explanations for this problem (http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q19 ... 15fef29877). I understand why answer choice A is correct, but do not understand why B is incorrect. When I was working through the problem for the first time I was stuck between these two answer choices, and, after reviewing it, I still am.

I feel that it may be due to my imprecise understanding of the term "prevention." I interpreted "... then there would not be a problem to begin with" as prevention of the stated problems. Of course, the proposed solutions do not guarantee prevention; they merely minimize or eliminate some potential negative consequences.

Using this interpretation, answer choice B would be valid.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

Edit: for those who have the Flaw package from Cambridge (1-38), for quicker reference, the question is #187.

Trajectory

Re: LR PT10--S4--Q19

Postby Trajectory » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am

Well I read "there will not be a problem to begin with" as in the proposed solutions eliminate the possibility of the 2 stated problems occurring.

I feel like answer choice B is getting at the idea that the author wasn't supposed to focus on the prevention of a problem but instead the containment of the adverse effects the problem(s) might cause, which to me is seems like is not discussed. As in, we dont know what kind of problems or what the exact consequences are of not having dated wills or losing wills. Its almost like this answer says the author should have compared 2 things...but thats just not the flaw. I hope it somewhat makes sense. I can understand why its tricky but I feel like A is spot on and too strong of a contender. This answer choice (B) is a little more convoluted. I could be way off here! hah just my 2 cents

canterlol

Re: LR PT10--S4--Q19

Postby canterlol » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Your analysis makes sense to me! I feel I can confidently eliminate answer B now -- Thanks!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”