Bundles? New test? Retaker needing advice!

okaygo

Bundles? New test? Retaker needing advice!

Postby okaygo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:00 pm

So I'm running into the typical retaker problem: running out of material. Any advice? I've tried erasing all of my bundles and my PTs and such but I'm worried that my improvements aren't as real as I think they are because I can SLIGHTLY see where I erased etc etc.

What do other retakers do about this lack of fresh material/paranoia?

Pure Protein

Re: Bundles? New test? Retaker needing advice!

Postby Pure Protein » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 pm

I think the solution to your problem depends on a couple of factors. First, why are you re-taking in the first place? If there was some freak reason that you didn't perform up to your PT scores on test day, then you should probably be more concerned with maintaining your PT scores rather than learning something new. For me this would mean finding PTs that I haven't already done or a compilation book that has something like really tough questions etc. On the other hand, if you just didn't prepare correctly the first time, you probably need to buy new stuff.

This might help if you take your LR sections like me though. So when I eliminate an answer from contention on LR, I draw a diagonal slash through the answer letter (or occasionally off to the side). Even if I erase it, that mark is still visible of course. What I do is just draw that slash on all of them so being able to slightly see my markings from a previous time through doesn't benefit me. It's harder to do on LG and RC because of the diagrams and notation, but it might be possible there too depending on how you marked up your test.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Pure Protein wrote:I think the solution to your problem depends on a couple of factors. First, why are you re-taking in the first place? If there was some freak reason that you didn't perform up to your PT scores on test day, then you should probably be more concerned with maintaining your PT scores rather than learning something new. For me this would mean finding PTs that I haven't already done or a compilation book that has something like really tough questions etc. On the other hand, if you just didn't prepare correctly the first time, you probably need to buy new stuff.

This might help if you take your LR sections like me though. So when I eliminate an answer from contention on LR, I draw a diagonal slash through the answer letter (or occasionally off to the side). Even if I erase it, that mark is still visible of course. What I do is just draw that slash on all of them so being able to slightly see my markings from a previous time through doesn't benefit me. It's harder to do on LG and RC because of the diagrams and notation, but it might be possible there too depending on how you marked up your test.

What I've been doing on PTs for LR, incase I want to use the sections again for drilling material, is when eliminating answer choices, I slash through the corresponding answer letters on the answer sheet, and so the LR sections are entirely unmarked. This works to a lesser extent on RC, but the issue is that one tends to notate passages, and so if you re-do the section, you're going to see prior notations and that may give you an unfair advantage. Even still, if the questions are entirely unmarked, it's still a doable section. As for LG, you can use scratch paper if you'd like, and you can have those unmarked too. I don't think this promotes much of an artificial advantage relative to the actual test, since we now get two clean pages for each game. And on scratch paper, if you just use one side, that's less than what you get on the actual test. Now, if we didn't get two pages for games, then I wouldn't be doing that, but since we do, I think it's okay. That said, when PTing the most recent tests, I just use the space given in order to become familiar with it.

Anyway, the above just helps you with conserving stuff now, but hopefully it helps others who are reading too. If one likes to diagram in LR, then the above doesn't apply as well.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:12 am

To deal with answers that are slightly erased -

Circle every answer choice and erase them all.

Now it will appear you erased every answer and you will not know which is correct.

The fact that I'm this clever and you are not is in indication that I will score higher than you.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:26 am

louierodriguez wrote:To deal with answers that are slightly erased -

Circle every answer choice and erase them all.

Now it will appear you erased every answer and you will not know which is correct.

The fact that I'm this clever and you are not is in indication that I will score higher than you.

Lololol.

Postby 10052014 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:40 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”