Got a 161 on first practice test -- will a class benefit me? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HPbaxxter

New

Got a 161 on first practice test -- will a class benefit me?

Post by HPbaxxter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 am

Many people seem to be of the opinion that classes can only do so much in getting you to a certain level at which point one is better off either hiring a tutor or working on their own. I'm planning on taking the Feb LSAT and I took my first practice test today -- under normal testing conditions -- and got a 161. My goal is 170+. Would a class be worth it for me, or should I just hire a tutor? If it makes any difference I am leaning towards Powerscore regardless of which direction I go.

lmr

Bronze

Re: Got a 161 on first practice test -- will a class benefit me?

Post by lmr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 am

HPbaxxter wrote:Many people seem to be of the opinion that classes can only do so much in getting you to a certain level at which point one is better off either hiring a tutor or working on their own. I'm planning on taking the Feb LSAT and I took my first practice test today -- under normal testing conditions -- and got a 161. My goal is 170+. Would a class be worth it for me, or should I just hire a tutor? If it makes any difference I am leaning towards Powerscore regardless of which direction I go.
What's your weakest section? if it's logic games the power score bible will fix that and I wouldn't take a class. If it's LR or RC then a class wouldn't hurt. You should prob take another practice test before you commit to self-help, to make sure it wasn't a fluke. A 161 your first time isn't like a 170 your first time.

HPbaxxter

New

Post by HPbaxxter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 am

Yeah, I realize I still have a lot of work to do, but the logic games are what gave me trouble. I did extremely well with the other sections. I suppose I'll work with the bible for a while and see how it plays out.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 am

The general consensus is that courses can be helpful, but usually only to the extent that they provide you with a bunch of materials and give you some structure (and occasionally a stellar instructor). Simply attending a course will do you no good. You have to put in the work whether you do it as homework, as it were, for a course or do it as self study. If you have money to shell out and are interested in having someone else provide you with the structure of studying then sure go for it. But def avoid Kaplan.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:42 am

Don't take a class - spend the money on PS bibles, Cambridge LR banks, Manhattan RC guide, and clean exams for practice (I'd go with the LSAC books, which include sets of 10 actual exams) You can probably get like 60 exams for less than $100 on Amazon (NEW). Make copies, so you'll have plenty to drill individual sections and problems with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nooblarzlarz

Bronze

Post by Nooblarzlarz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:50 am

First, that's an awesome start to your prep! The classes are great as a general overview for tackling the LSAT, but as you start scoring in the upper 160s and 170s, the classes are going to be the best use of your time. If you're smart enough for a 161 cold PT, then you're smart enough to just get some books and drill.

The first time I took a class, I did it for the structure of the prep (I was not aware of TLS when I signed up). Since you're already on here, you'll have everything you'll need to succeed.

HPbaxxter

New

Post by HPbaxxter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks everyone! :D

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Hey man, the answer everyone else is giving you is right I'm just posting because I also had a 161 diagnostic. I didn't take a class, and I ended up with a 173. I found 7sage pretty helpful, they have free videos on youtube and their website for almost every LG.

LG is the easiest section once you learn it though, so you are in great shape! Honestly by the time i got the LG bible in the mail I was already pretty good on LG, it should come pretty easy to you with that good of an initial score.

Classes really focus on getting poor scores to mediocre or mediocre to good. They don't specialize in good to great, which is what you are looking for.

Feel free to PM me.

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 pm

HPbaxxter wrote:Many people seem to be of the opinion that classes can only do so much in getting you to a certain level at which point one is better off either hiring a tutor or working on their own. I'm planning on taking the Feb LSAT and I took my first practice test today -- under normal testing conditions -- and got a 161. My goal is 170+. Would a class be worth it for me, or should I just hire a tutor? If it makes any difference I am leaning towards Powerscore regardless of which direction I go.
A 161 with 6 months of prep time (assuming you don't go to school during the fall) is more than enough to study on your own and get to the 170 range. If you go back to school in the fall, you MIGHT have enough time, but I'd be cautiosus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”