Passing the bar VS scoring 173+ on LSAT: which is harder?

Dr. Dre

Passing the bar VS scoring 173+ on LSAT: which is harder?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 am

WARNING: Hypothetical

Assume the bar exam would be for california or new york (or some other notoriously difficult state bar)

Assume same amount of time to study

SUPPOSE: a LS graduate from TTT (who copped a 150 LSAT) is presented with two options:

1. pass [INSERT STATE] bar

or

2. score 173+ on LSAT

My question: which option would be easier to accomplish?

90convoy

Re: Passing the bar VS scoring 173+ on LSAT: which is harder?

Postby 90convoy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:19 am

Dr. Dre wrote:WARNING: Hypothetical

Assume the bar exam would be for california or new york (or some other notoriously difficult state bar)

SUPPOSE: a LS graduate from TTT (who copped a 150 LSAT) is presented with two options:

or

2. score 173+ on LSAT

Well considering about 40% of the people who take the bar (CA) pass and only about 1% of lsat takers score a 173+ it seems the latter would be a lot harder. Especially if the test taker is someone that already received a 150. (I'm making the assumption that the 150 wasn't a fluke)

lmr

Postby lmr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 am

90convoy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:WARNING: Hypothetical

or

2. score 173+ on LSAT

Well considering about 40% of the people who take the bar (CA) pass and only about 1% of lsat takers score a 173+ it seems the latter would be a lot harder. Especially if the test taker is someone that already received a 150. (I'm making the assumption that the 150 wasn't a fluke)

I don't get the 40% pass rate you are citing. The overall pass rate for the July 2012 CA bar was 54.4%. For first time test takers the pass rate was 67% break it down again for first time test takers who went to a CA-ABA accredited law school (which many TTTs are a part of) pass rate=76%

No way 76% or even 54% of LSAT takers can EVER attain a 173 no matter how much they study or times they sit for the test. There's no comparison really.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:34 am

I don't get the 40% pass rate you are citing. The overall pass rate for the July 2012 CA bar was 54.4%. For first time test takers the pass rate was 67% break it down again for first time test takers who went to a CA-ABA accredited law school (which many TTTs are a part of) pass rate=76%

No way 76% or even 54% of LSAT takers can EVER attain a 173 no matter how much they study or times they sit for the test. There's no comparison really.

Sorry I didn't specify it, but I was citing the February exam which is a little bit lower. But yeah, that doesn't change that fact that this is a no brainer.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 am

But do you bros think its because the LSAT is "harder"

or--is it because people, in general, don't put in the effort into LSAT prep because "it's a dumb test that doesn't have to do anything with law" ?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 am

Seems like this is kind of like comparing getting an A in a graded class vs a Pass in P/F class.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:08 am

You're comparing apples to oranges here. There level of difficulty can't be compared to each other.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 am

Personal experience? LSAT was harder. Though a lot of the stuff on the bar I learned at law school, and just had to refresh it when studying for the NY bar, so it's hard to say how much time actually went into my pass.

Total study time? I spent more time prepping for the LSAT than the bar, by a significant margin (though, to be honest, I really didn't study enough for the bar - something like 20-30 hours).

The bar is pretty much straight-up memorization; the LSAT requires more cognitive abilities than that.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:02 pm

bp shinners wrote:The bar is pretty much straight-up memorization; the LSAT requires more cognitive abilities than that.

I agree. I didn't actually take a lot of bar courses in law school, so I had to learn everything business/corporation related during bar prep, and the bar was still easier than the LSAT. Brute memorization takes energy but no real analytical skill; the bar is really more about content than analysis (especially in my state, where you got points for putting down buzzwords more than for how you applied the law). I also think bar prep courses are more effective at preparing you to pass the exam than LSAT prep courses are at preparing you to get a 173+. But I also agree with the others - there's a big difference between trying to get a D, and trying to score in the top 1% of LSAT-takers, so they're really hard to compare. All I know is that my MBE score was a much higher percentile than my LSAT score (and yes, I could have studied more/more effectively for the LSAT, but part of the point is that you have to know to do that and how to do that for the LSAT, whereas for the bar you just have to sit through the prep course. I think it takes much more work to figure out what you need to improve on for the LSAT, and how to do that, than for the bar).

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 pm

This thread is dumb. OP is dumb.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”