On Track for Mid 170s in OCT?

Trig

On Track for Mid 170s in OCT?

Postby Trig » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 am

I just took my first PT after studying. It was superprep A and I got a 169. I took it on 7/27.

My diagnostic was a 155. Since then I spent about 15 hours in June studying from the Princeton LGs book. Then I found TLS and have put myself on pithypikes guide. So far in July I have spent at least 90mins a day studying. Typically I will do one new LG section, one LG section I have already done, at least 10 LR questions, and a RC passage or a review of a RC passage I have already done.

The plan is to keep the studying up, to take supreppreps B and C before mid August and then to do one PT every other day form mid August until two days before Oct. 5.

Thanks!

t-14orbust

Re: On Track for Mid 170s in OCT?

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 am

Do you work full-time? I'd recommend studying ~4 hours a day. Those last few points are the hardest to get.

Trig

Postby Trig » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 am

I am full time during the summer and then am a full time student during the school year.

I should mention that I think I could have gone at least 170 on this last pt but I think the nerves of doing it seriously for the first time got the best of me.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:03 am

Southbridge wrote:I am full time during the summer and then am a full time student during the school year.

I should mention that I think I could have gone at least 170 on this last pt but I think the nerves of doing it seriously for the first time got the best of me.

If nerves are hitting you now, just imagine what they'll be like on the LSAT- you need to learn to calm your nerves, I've found breathing exercises to be very helpful.

I would normally say to expect to score a few points below your PT average on your first LSAT, so get that PT average as high as possible.

Studying for the LSAT while being a full-time student is difficult but not impossible. Full-time work + LSAT study might be a bit more difficult, but you can do it! It seems like you have gotten your accuracy and timing down, so now it's time to focus on your weaknesses by drilling, taking as many PTs as you can, and most importantly evaluating your mistakes and changing your approach. Good luck!

Trig

Postby Trig » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 am

The plan is to do 24 more PTs between now and test day; I figure this really out to work out any nerves I have.

Any other tips for nerves?

Thanks a lot!

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:11 am

Just a word of warning, I found the earlier PTs (such as SuperPrep A) much easier than more recent tests. I found the questions easier (with the exception of LG) and the scale looser. So my PT score for these earlier tests did not resemble my PT score on more recent tests at all. But, of course, this may not hold true for you.

You are doing the right thing starting with the early tests. Take as many as you can, without getting burned out. But you will really start to refine and find consistency in your score once you start studying PTs 60 and on.

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:13 am

The plan is to do 24 more PTs between now and test day

If you have the time and money, take more than that. I took about 50. And don't shoot for mid 170s, shoot for a 180. And make sure not to use up all your fresh material when you're doing drills. Otherwise, you will know the questions on the PTs your taking and you will inflate your score.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 am

This may sound a little crazy, but I would do jumping jacks to get the blood flowing, and then deep breathing exercises for 30 or so seconds. I would do this before the test began, and during the break. Breathing on its own is pretty good for any time you have to gather your thoughts in between sections.

A lot of getting over nerves is familiarizing yourself with the material, being confident that you are prepared as best as you can be, and that your score will reflect that. Attitude is essential.

You may also find visualization to help with your nerves - visualize yourself doing well, visualize yourself receiving the LSAC e-mail with a 99th% score, and visualize yourself opening your admittance letter to your dream school.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”