LSAT prep books for beginner?

boalt4life

LSAT prep books for beginner?

Postby boalt4life » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 am

I have 8 weeks to study for the LSAT this summer. Don't want to study hardcore or go crazy/burnout because I wont take the test for two years. But I want to get my feet wet and get familiar with the test

Anyone know a single book that can help me achieve my goal?
IS this book what im looking for? http://www.amazon.com/The-LSAT-Trainer- ... roduct_top

I know that the Powerscore books are very good but I dont want to buy 3 books and I dont want to isolate each section. I want to get comfortable with the test as a whole first

smus

Re: LSAT prep books for beginner?

Postby smus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 pm

boalt4life wrote:I have 8 weeks to study for the LSAT this summer. Don't want to study hardcore or go crazy/burnout because I wont take the test for two years. But I want to get my feet wet and get familiar with the test

Anyone know a single book that can help me achieve my goal?
IS this book what im looking for? http://www.amazon.com/The-LSAT-Trainer- ... roduct_top

I know that the Powerscore books are very good but I dont want to buy 3 books and I dont want to isolate each section. I want to get comfortable with the test as a whole first

if you want to dick around with the test and just study inefficiently take a couple PTs and watch your score move very little. come back in two years and drill by type.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 pm

I know you said you want to familiarize yourself with the LSAT, but two years from now is a long time.

You might consider simply reading some general books on logical reasoning that are not LSAT-specific (like A Rulebook for Arguments, Logic Made Easy, and Informal Logic).

This can help you get into the "LSAT mindset" without giving you LSAT content that you may not remember if you aren't going to touch the LSAT again for a while.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 pm

caveat -- I'm the author of the book you mentioned --

I certainly agree that two years beforehand is unusually early to start studying, but just to play contrarian --

1) There is some general evidence, even in the archives of this forum, of there being some benefit to studying, taking a break, than studying again. Specifically in regards to the LSAT, a lot of people have mentioned a sudden boost in pt scores when they start to get ready for a retake -- even though they haven't touched their LSAT materials in a while. (to get even more anecdotal, Jordan said he felt he was a markedly better basketball player after his baseball break). On a personal level, before I wrote the trainer, I took a little break from the LSAT -- when I came back to it, I found that I understood it much better than I had before (it's like my brain had cleaned up an prioritized my understanding while I was away).

2) If you are missing out on other opportunities (like internships) in order to study for the LSAT, that's one thing, but if it's a matter of putting in some prep vs spending that time hanging out, etc. I don't see how studying could be bad for you. Obviously you don't want to burn through all of the LSAT prep materials that are out there, but it doesn't sound like that's your plan.

Good luck and reach out if you have any q's -- if you decide to wait a couple of years, I'll still be around and we can pick it up again then if you'd like --

Mike

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”