How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

justwhisper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:39 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby justwhisper » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.


Waste of time. Why would you plan to take the LSAT more than once?

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am

justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.


Waste of time. Why would you plan to take the LSAT more than once?


Not everyone can score high easily. A lot of people like me are on the fence whether to take or postpone. It is easy for all the high scorers to say "oh just postpone if you aren't ready" but for us, who have good tests and bad tests, it is a hard choice.

justwhisper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:39 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby justwhisper » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:51 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.


Waste of time. Why would you plan to take the LSAT more than once?


Not everyone can score high easily. A lot of people like me are on the fence whether to take or postpone. It is easy for all the high scorers to say "oh just postpone if you aren't ready" but for us, who have good tests and bad tests, it is a hard choice.


I see your point but I think you can get a good feel for how you will do by taking a bunch of preptests up until the day of the exam.

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:47 pm

justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.


Waste of time. Why would you plan to take the LSAT more than once?


Not everyone can score high easily. A lot of people like me are on the fence whether to take or postpone. It is easy for all the high scorers to say "oh just postpone if you aren't ready" but for us, who have good tests and bad tests, it is a hard choice.


I see your point but I think you can get a good feel for how you will do by taking a bunch of preptests up until the day of the exam.


Thanks for missing my point

User avatar
sayan
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby sayan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 pm

justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.


Waste of time. Why would you plan to take the LSAT more than once?


Not everyone can score high easily. A lot of people like me are on the fence whether to take or postpone. It is easy for all the high scorers to say "oh just postpone if you aren't ready" but for us, who have good tests and bad tests, it is a hard choice.


I see your point but I think you can get a good feel for how you will do by taking a bunch of preptests up until the day of the exam.


Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby ruleser » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:31 pm

sayan wrote:Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.

People getting upper 160's can get mid-170's on the real thing, as some June takers did

User avatar
hv1
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby hv1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm

ruleser wrote:
sayan wrote:Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.

People getting upper 160's can get mid-170's on the real thing, as some June takers did


The opposite can also occur.......... scoring 160s and making a blazing comeback in the 170s

justwhisper
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:39 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby justwhisper » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:07 pm

hv1 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
sayan wrote:Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.

People getting upper 160's can get mid-170's on the real thing, as some June takers did


The opposite can also occur.......... scoring 160s and making a blazing comeback in the 170s


Yeah I mean you never know exactly how you will do on test day as many things can go wrong, but you should still be able to get a good enough idea to decide whether to cancel or not.

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:49 pm

justwhisper wrote:
hv1 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
sayan wrote:Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.

People getting upper 160's can get mid-170's on the real thing, as some June takers did


The opposite can also occur.......... scoring 160s and making a blazing comeback in the 170s


Yeah I mean you never know exactly how you will do on test day as many things can go wrong, but you should still be able to get a good enough idea to decide whether to cancel or not.


Fair enough.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby ruleser » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:05 pm

ruleser wrote:Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...


Are you suggesting that people are exaggerating their scores?

SaraCoVA
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby SaraCoVA » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:28 pm

JDewey wrote:
2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.



Do you have any other suggestions for informal logic?

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby ruleser » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...


Are you suggesting that people are exaggerating their scores?

No, just a stupid joke.

In other news, I am closing in (hopefully) on that elusive 180 - started at 162. Now PTing 175 rather regularly. Without roommates walking in, etc., I think 180 may be near...

User avatar
-KommonOddity_
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby -KommonOddity_ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 pm

JDewey wrote:Thought I would give my bit of advice. I took a more holistic than most people I think.

Here are my top three bits of advice.

1) Read all different kinds of information. I would read The Economist, The Smithsonian, and Scientific American, daily. I think this is what helped the most, and reading should be a top priority. You can re-wire the neurons in your brain to better handle written words if you read all the time. Most people's brains are probably set in "T.V. Mode" and unfortunately there is no video section on the LSAT. Turn off the television, start reading dense material, this will help you across the board not just on the reading comprehension section.

2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

3) When you are studying, figure out why each answer choice was wrong, as well as why the correct one was in fact correct. This is kind of common sense but the tediousness of doing this causes it to be often ignored.

Cheers


I've read it twice and find it to be the closest thing to understanding logic.

User avatar
lawlover829
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby lawlover829 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:44 pm

ruleser wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...


Are you suggesting that people are exaggerating their scores?

No, just a stupid joke.

In other news, I am closing in (hopefully) on that elusive 180 - started at 162. Now PTing 175 rather regularly. Without roommates walking in, etc., I think 180 may be near...



Congrats

User avatar
IHaveDietMoxie
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:20 am

SaraCoVA wrote:
JDewey wrote:
2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.



Do you have any other suggestions for informal logic?


Introduction to Logic by Copi and Cohen is a more comprehensive volume and has very useful exercises.

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm

officially postponed today. blah.

allison34363
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby allison34363 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 pm

ruleser wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...


Are you suggesting that people are exaggerating their scores?

No, just a stupid joke.

In other news, I am closing in (hopefully) on that elusive 180 - started at 162. Now PTing 175 rather regularly. Without roommates walking in, etc., I think 180 may be near...


how did you prep? or do you feel you are just becoming more used to the test?

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:02 pm

I am starting to predict answers more and more, but I still don't feel confident. That's why I postponed until December.

allison34363
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby allison34363 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:05 pm

So I scored a 175 the other day. My highest score yet.

tomwatts
Posts: 1544
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby tomwatts » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:11 pm

AFAIK, except as far as bragging rights are concerned, there is little practical difference between, say, low 170's and high 170's (as far as admissions go). Does anyone know otherwise?

Also, the original point about figuring out why the answers are what they are is crucial and often overlooked. The LSAT is a standardized test. It is designed the same way every time. It asks similar questions every time. If you get a question wrong once for some reason, oops. If you get ten more questions wrong for the same reason, you're a damn fool! Fix it the first time, so it doesn't keep messing you up.

Put another way: If you take the test the same way each time, you should get pretty near the same score. The LSAT will not change for you. You have to be the one in this relationship to change.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 pm

tomwatts wrote:AFAIK, except as far as bragging rights are concerned, there is little practical difference between, say, low 170's and high 170's (as far as admissions go). Does anyone know otherwise?

Also, the original point about figuring out why the answers are what they are is crucial and often overlooked. The LSAT is a standardized test. It is designed the same way every time. It asks similar questions every time. If you get a question wrong once for some reason, oops. If you get ten more questions wrong for the same reason, you're a damn fool! Fix it the first time, so it doesn't keep messing you up.

Put another way: If you take the test the same way each time, you should get pretty near the same score. The LSAT will not change for you. You have to be the one in this relationship to change.


I agree with you to an extent. I think that if you've been preparing thoroughly, you shouldn't have large fluctuations. It always amazes me when people claim to be averaging in the mid-170s, for example, then talk about "bombing" one and scoring in the low 160s. I think if you're preparing well, a 2-4 pt. fluctuation is fine but anything beyond that should be cause for concern. That said, I also think that it's impossible to simulate the nervousness and anxiety of test day, and that alone can account for more than a few missed questions.

As for the point about low 170s being essentially the same as high 170s from an admissions standpoint, I think that the general consensus is that there is a significant difference with each point increase up until about 175-176. At that point, you're above almost every schools 75 percentile anyhow (save for Yale and maybe Harvard), so any point beyond that is pretty much for bragging purposes only--although I'm inclined to believe a 180 is worth a least a little boost.

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby Kulax22 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:29 pm

I'd be interested in hearing from 180s about stress and health tips. Even if you are consistently acing the PTs, you must be stressed the real thing won't show your "true" performance.

How to stay sane but really focused and energized? How to keep positive and confident without letting your guard slip?

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:33 pm

I've gotten in a good routine where I wake up early, eat and hit the coffee two hours before my test, and then take the test. I am trying to do this everyday so when test day comes around it is just like another practice test.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby ruleser » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 pm

allison34363 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...


..
Last edited by ruleser on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hikikomorist, Instrumental, m052310, Mr. Meeseeks, proteinshake, SweetTort, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests