How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

User avatar
pastorjohn27
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby pastorjohn27 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:13 pm

lawschoolnobigdeal wrote:Are these real hotties -- helpmeplz91 and Glamour - or did someone post some bmp's from the Internet?
Looks like helpmeplz91 is not all that bright: Robin singh helping POOR LSAT Takers? He charges their
arms and their legs for the poor service. If the guy is so gee-wiz and the next best thing to hoola-hoop,
why is it that he wants you to sign a legal waiver that his company - ROBIN SINGH EDUCATIONAL SERVICE -
is not legally liable for your LSAT SCORES? He is screwing LSAT test-takers, not helping POOR ones, you
hot Canuck. Robin Singh should spend more time improving his course and offering guarantees than
engage in frivolous litigations that have cost him and his head gear millions. If you are smart, you will cut
through the phony claims made by this guy.



Did you take a TestMasters course? I was just wondering why you thought it was so bad or why it was overpriced? Just because Singh's helping people doesn't mean that he shouldn't get paid for coming up with some good stuff. BTW, isn't their course cheaper than most of the others (either overall or per hour of instruction)? And I think you're wrong about the guarantees - why should guarantees be offered when some people just don't want to come to class/do the work required to get better? Powerscore isn't guaranteeing anyone anything, either! Plus, nobody out there is guaranteeing money back - just retakes of the class. If something didn't work for me the first time (i.e. Kaplan), why would I want to take the course again? It seems like you just have something personal against Robin Singh...

rocketman
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby rocketman » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:55 am

would love to hear from some more 180 test takers.

justoutofcuriosity
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby justoutofcuriosity » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:47 am

i got a 180 on the october 2008 administration. here's what i did:

i ordered two of the 10-LSAT books and five of the most recently released LSATS. i started with the oldest test materials and worked my way up to the most recent administration. i did not use a tutor or prep class.

five weeks out, i took a timed diagnostic with four sections. i omitted the fifth unscored section. this alerted me to areas in which i was weak, like logic games and logical reasoning; for what it's worth, my diagnostic was a 165. i think i only completed half of the logic game questions.

knowing that i need some LG/LR work, i did two sections of one - or the other - or both - every other day, alternating on the other days with a four section test. this went on for about a week and a half.

for personal reasons, i was forced to take a week off at that point, leaving me a little less than three weeks before the test. i began taking four section tests every morning before work. i'm not going to lie - it was really brutal. i was getting up at 5 am, testing from 6-9, then working from 9 to 6 at night. i had no life. sacrifice is necessary.

about 10 days out, i began adding a fifth "unscored" section into my tests. obviously, i knew which section i was using to proxy as unscored, but i took it seriously and corrected those sections anyway. absolutely DO NOT underestimate the fatigue effect during the test. i don't want to sound horrible, but i missed one question on the test, and it was a misbubble on a relatively easy LR question. silly mental errors are part of the LSAT! it is designed to wear you down and challenge your ability to stay focused and alert. misbubbling is no less legitimate a way to miss a question than simply not knowing the answer, and the scoring certainly does not distinguish between the two.

my biggest advice for everyone is to simulate test conditions as best you can when you practice. be psycho about it - seriously, it will help you on test day. to my recollection, my test began around 9 am, so the fact that i had been practicing in the morning and training my brain to wake up sharp helped. when i practiced, i went to far as to only eat/walk around/use the restroom during the 10 minute break following the third section. i even ate and drank the exact same things during practice tests as i did during the real test. i can't stress enough the importance of routine, routine, routine. it sounds silly, but controlling as many variables as possible helps eliminate sources of anxiety on test day and will undoubtedly raise your score by at least a point or two. do not give yourself an extra ten seconds to bubble. do not drink coffee while taking the test. force yourself to finish sections even though you really, really need to hit the restroom. practice the way you want to perform.

beyond what i said above, i spent the month being really physically and mentally healthy. i ate nutritious things and exercised when i had time (which, admittedly, was relatively infrequently given my schedule). my practices ranged from 173-177, and i guess i had a really good day on test day. be confident. control everything you can, and be prepared for the things you can't.

future LSAT takers - you can do this! i believe that anyone can raise his or her score considerably by employing a serious, dedicated approach to preparing for the test. you have to keep your eyes on the prize. that three hour test is not everything; you will find the law school that is right for you regardless. you will, however, be kicking yourself forever if you prepare inadequately for the most important part of the law school admissions process.

oh, and take the writing part seriously. it's 30 minutes. i know schools supposedly don't look at it, yada yada yada, but what else are you going to do during the time? don't take even a slight risk out of laziness. besides... it's kinda fun.

ok, speech over. good luck, everyone!

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby englawyer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:49 am

how many 180's did you get on PT? any?

justoutofcuriosity
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby justoutofcuriosity » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:27 am

i didn't get any 180s on practice tests, although my scores for the more recent administrations were higher than my scores for older ones. i think the logic games have been diluted in recent years, and i found the newer reading comprehension (with the two mini passages) a breeze, which afforded me more time to complete the other three passages.

remember, too, that many tests have a few "impossible" scores between 171 and 180. the difference between 177 and 180 can be two questions, if memory serves.

User avatar
helpmeplz91
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby helpmeplz91 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:09 pm

lawschoolnobigdeal wrote:Are these real hotties -- helpmeplz91 and Glamour - or did someone post some bmp's from the Internet?
Looks like helpmeplz91 is not all that bright: Robin singh helping POOR LSAT Takers? He charges their
arms and their legs for the poor service. If the guy is so gee-wiz and the next best thing to hoola-hoop,
why is it that he wants you to sign a legal waiver that his company - ROBIN SINGH EDUCATIONAL SERVICE -
is not legally liable for your LSAT SCORES? He is screwing LSAT test-takers, not helping POOR ones, you
hot Canuck. Robin Singh should spend more time improving his course and offering guarantees than
engage in frivolous litigations that have cost him and his head gear millions. If you are smart, you will cut
through the phony claims made by this guy.


I guess someone didn't do so well on their LSAT? If a course with a guarantee was so important to you, why did you still take Testmasters? Kaplan has a guarantee...

tls4ever
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:31 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby tls4ever » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:16 pm

lawschoolnobigdeal wrote:Are these real hotties -- helpmeplz91 and Glamour - or did someone post some bmp's from the Internet?
Looks like helpmeplz91 is not all that bright: Robin singh helping POOR LSAT Takers? He charges their
arms and their legs for the poor service. If the guy is so gee-wiz and the next best thing to hoola-hoop,
why is it that he wants you to sign a legal waiver that his company - ROBIN SINGH EDUCATIONAL SERVICE -
is not legally liable for your LSAT SCORES? He is screwing LSAT test-takers, not helping POOR ones, you
hot Canuck. Robin Singh should spend more time improving his course and offering guarantees than
engage in frivolous litigations that have cost him and his head gear millions. If you are smart, you will cut
through the phony claims made by this guy.


Better luck next time I guess?

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Is anyone else skeptical of all these 180 score claims?

User avatar
vasiok
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby vasiok » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:05 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:Is anyone else skeptical of all these 180 score claims?


No.

User avatar
IHaveDietMoxie
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:52 am

it was pretty good advice, so no

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:it was pretty good advice, so no


Good advice does not mean that these people are being honest about their scores...

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby RVP11 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:44 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:it was pretty good advice, so no


Good advice does not mean that these people are being honest about their scores...


What reason do you have to be skeptical, then?

User avatar
IHaveDietMoxie
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:27 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:Good advice does not mean that these people are being honest about their scores...

You're right, I'll dispatch the U.N. immediately to do a full investigation.

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:Good advice does not mean that these people are being honest about their scores...

You're right, I'll dispatch the U.N. immediately to do a full investigation.


Funny. :D

I don't know, it just seems like a random person on the internet saying they got a 180 without further proof looks suspicious.

User avatar
Chichaca
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby Chichaca » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:09 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:Good advice does not mean that these people are being honest about their scores...

You're right, I'll dispatch the U.N. immediately to do a full investigation.


Funny. :D

I don't know, it just seems like a random person on the internet saying they got a 180 without further proof looks suspicious.

But what proof could they offer and still retain anonymity?
As with most everything else on the internet, we can determine neither that they're telling the truth nor that they're lying.

User avatar
IHaveDietMoxie
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:20 am

hence I judge based on the quality of their advice like I said before

The original post in this thread has helped me more than any other advice I've gotten concerning the LSAT, so I don't really care if the person is lying.

User avatar
iwakeboard
Posts: 8257
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 am

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby iwakeboard » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:21 am

I know alot of posters have, in the past, posted screen shots of their scores. Of course, this isn't a guarantee they're telling the truth as prevelant as photoshop is nowadays. I tend to believe the people who say they scored a 180, as they have shown nothing to make me think otherwise.

If they said, for example, "Yo, gotsa 180+ bi jes tinkin buot all tha stuf b4 feelin n da bubles." I'd be suspicious.

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:13 pm

iwakeboard wrote:If they said, for example, "Yo, gotsa 180+ bi jes tinkin buot all tha stuf b4 feelin n da bubles." I'd be suspicious.


Anyone who talks like that should be hurt, lol.

Ok well how many of the thousands of LSAT takers actually score a 180? Do we have these statistics?

happierfeet
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby happierfeet » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:16 pm

I got a 180 on the LSAT. About a month before the test, I picked up the LSAT booklet and took the practice test in it cold. Timed, I got a 172 or a 173. (I may have cheated on one point; I can't remember.) Anyhow, that was satisfactory as far as I was concerned, as all of the schools I was seriously considering were low T14 or T25. So I kind of forgot about the test and didn't do much for the rest of the month, other than ordering the 10 Real LSATs, which didn't arrive until about 10 days before the test.

When the weekend before the test arrived, I cracked open the book and tried to work through some logic problems for practice. (I figured that was bound to be my weakest point, as it was the most unfamiliar.) I struggled through a games section that was much harder for me than the one on the sample test provided in the booklet. I began to think that I might be over my head, but I figured I might as well go ahead and take the test, considering that I'd already shelled out the money. I probably worked through another section or two from a different test in the days before the test, but I figured there was little I could do at that point so I didn't do any crazy cramming.

It sounds funny, but I think my biggest advantage was that I didn't really know anyone else considering law school. Because of this, I didn't realize that many people spent 100s of hours preparing for the test, and consequently I didn't stress out over it.

To be sure, the test felt damn hard when I took it. I was so freaked out after taking the test that I considered canceling my score. I was sure that I had completely butchered at least one if not two of the games. However, I think going into the test without any real expectations helped me because I avoided having to fight a psychological battle with myself. I was just working off my test-taking abilities.

Anyhow, maybe people won't believe me, but despite that and the fact that I feel a little bit like a d-bag for "boasting" about my score, albeit anonymously, I figured that at least some of you might be entertained by the story. It's not a strategy that I would recommend to other people, but it worked for me.

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:28 pm

happierfeet wrote:I got a 180 on the LSAT. About a month before the test, I picked up the LSAT booklet and took the practice test in it cold. Timed, I got a 172 or a 173. (I may have cheated on one point; I can't remember.) Anyhow, that was satisfactory as far as I was concerned, as all of the schools I was seriously considering were low T14 or T25. So I kind of forgot about the test and didn't do much for the rest of the month, other than ordering the 10 Real LSATs, which didn't arrive until about 10 days before the test.

When the weekend before the test arrived, I cracked open the book and tried to work through some logic problems for practice. (I figured that was bound to be my weakest point, as it was the most unfamiliar.) I struggled through a games section that was much harder for me than the one on the sample test provided in the booklet. I began to think that I might be over my head, but I figured I might as well go ahead and take the test, considering that I'd already shelled out the money. I probably worked through another section or two from a different test in the days before the test, but I figured there was little I could do at that point so I didn't do any crazy cramming.

It sounds funny, but I think my biggest advantage was that I didn't really know anyone else considering law school. Because of this, I didn't realize that many people spent 100s of hours preparing for the test, and consequently I didn't stress out over it.

To be sure, the test felt damn hard when I took it. I was so freaked out after taking the test that I considered canceling my score. I was sure that I had completely butchered at least one if not two of the games. However, I think going into the test without any real expectations helped me because I avoided having to fight a psychological battle with myself. I was just working off my test-taking abilities.

Anyhow, maybe people won't believe me, but despite that and the fact that I feel a little bit like a d-bag for "boasting" about my score, albeit anonymously, I figured that at least some of you might be entertained by the story. It's not a strategy that I would recommend to other people, but it worked for me.



What books did you use? Or did you really just teach yourself it all through prep tests?

happierfeet
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby happierfeet » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:24 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote: What books did you use? Or did you really just teach yourself it all through prep tests?


No LSAT prep books. Just the pamphlet that LSAC publishes and the 10 Real LSATs, from which I just picked out some games to try.

But I studied Math and Philosophy in school, so I had a significant background in logic already.

User avatar
geoffree
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby geoffree » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 pm

happierfeet wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote: What books did you use? Or did you really just teach yourself it all through prep tests?


No LSAT prep books. Just the pamphlet that LSAC publishes and the 10 Real LSATs, from which I just picked out some games to try.

But I studied Math and Philosophy in school, so I had a significant background in logic already.


Can I come over and take a bite out of your big juicy brain please? :P

mickeymouse4509
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby mickeymouse4509 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:49 pm

happierfeet wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote: What books did you use? Or did you really just teach yourself it all through prep tests?


No LSAT prep books. Just the pamphlet that LSAC publishes and the 10 Real LSATs, from which I just picked out some games to try.

But I studied Math and Philosophy in school, so I had a significant background in logic already.


That is quite impressive, wow.

tj1320
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby tj1320 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Chichaca wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:Good advice does not mean that these people are being honest about their scores...

You're right, I'll dispatch the U.N. immediately to do a full investigation.


Funny. :D

I don't know, it just seems like a random person on the internet saying they got a 180 without further proof looks suspicious.

But what proof could they offer and still retain anonymity?
As with most everything else on the internet, we can determine neither that they're telling the truth nor that they're lying.


I started out with a 140 on the December '08 test. I recently scored a 144 on the February '93 test (PT #7). Given enough time (maybe a year or two of dedicated 3-4 hour per day studying) I think I could get a 180 or very close to it, based on my time studying the PS bibles so far. The test is very predictable but you have to develop your skills. The vast majority of people do not possess these skills and they usually score in the 140-160 range. Very few people can go in cold and score over a 160 and I think that some of those people frequent these boards. I am EXTREMELY jealous of them but you have to take what life gives you.

I'm taking the June '09 test in 55 days or so and I hope to score in the mid to high 150s. That will be a nice gain from 140 and it will get me into my target schools with my GPA. My main problems are with speed and comprehension. I have never had to think and read that fast before and I hope I never will again because it is difficult for me. I'm still trying to get used to it.

I for one believe the people who say that they scored 180s. They are either freaks of nature or have studied insanely hard, but I believe them.

allison34363
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Postby allison34363 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:48 pm

AIM for 160+, it will open up a lot of opportunities for you $-wise




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bryzzo2016, Deardevil, guybourdin, Instrumental, onlyhere4fun, pioneer1234, proteinshake, TheBook and 23 guests