How I got a perfect score on the LSAT. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
allison34363

New

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Post by allison34363 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Sesame_Jesus wrote:
JDewey wrote: 2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.
I took OP's advice and have been casually reading through this book. It's an excellent supplement to LSAT studying. The vast majority of it is directly relevant to LR questions on the LSAT; his breakdowns of each logical fallacy are detailed and step-by-step. His taxonomy actually *adds* to an understanding of how the fallacy works and is never employed excessively or without purpose (cough ... powerscore ... cough). He gives tons of examples that read very much like LR stimuli.

If you're looking supplemental materials for extra lsat prep, the 2 best sources I've seen are GetPrepped's Ace the Logic Games for LGs and Walton's handbook for LR.
This is my first time hearing about the getprepped thing. Care to elaborate?

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:10 pm

allison34363 wrote:
bobkjohnson wrote:
JDewey wrote: 2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.
I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I took a formal logic class and studied informal logic. For the most part the stuff that I learned in the class, albeit it was more so formulas, it helped in my studying. I understand the Logic sections so much more now then when i took a practice test Sophomore year of College.
The most logic used on the LSAT is contrapositives. Agree or disagree?
if that's what you only know, may I ask what you got on your LSAT? :lol:

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Fri May 22, 2009 4:56 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
allison34363 wrote:
bobkjohnson wrote:
I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I took a formal logic class and studied informal logic. For the most part the stuff that I learned in the class, albeit it was more so formulas, it helped in my studying. I understand the Logic sections so much more now then when i took a practice test Sophomore year of College.
The most logic used on the LSAT is contrapositives. Agree or disagree?
if that's what you only know, may I ask what you got on your LSAT? :lol:
Hit 165 on a practice test the other day, average is usually 160.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri May 22, 2009 8:48 pm

prelaw76 wrote:
SeekingHeight wrote:
For example, my first diag was 162...there's no way I can ever get 180.
I'm going to mimic Trojan here and disagree with you, if only in principle. I mean, maybe your diagnostic was wildly inaccurate and you should have scored a 140. However, a 162 is a very good initial diagnostic. Think about it: You're scoring around the 90th percentile cold. That's fantastic. It tells me that you have a very firm grip on many core LSAT concepts. Thus, with refinement and commitment, you should be able to push your score into the 99th percentile. Even a 180 cannot be considered unfeasible.

Like Trojan, I am not a genius, nor am I brilliant. Yet I scored a 175. I had to earn every single point from my initial 157 diagnostic. Did I doubt myself? Repeatedly. We like to justify our pessimism by dressing it as reality, but remember reality is that normal joes such as Trojan and I scored well. I don't know Trojan's LSAT story, but I'll tell you that hard work and a smart strategy are powerful tools in the hands of a determined individual.
I agree. Diagnostics mean nothing. Congrats on your successful jump from 157 to 175, that is quite impressive!
+1 - I was stuck at exactly that 162 - with a course I am now PTing regularly in the 170's and still climbing. I would say I have to wait til test day to see for sure, but the point is I never was even able to do this on PTs at all, nowhere about 162, and now it is consistent. It took the course, and work work work

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:21 pm

I too saw my scores become more consistent once I put in the time for prep... which may be a bad thing since I want to hit 170 and am stuck around 165

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SkiBumLawyer

New

Post by SkiBumLawyer » Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Sesame_Jesus wrote:
I took OP's advice and have been casually reading through this book. It's an excellent supplement to LSAT studying. The vast majority of it is directly relevant to LR questions on the LSAT; his breakdowns of each logical fallacy are detailed and step-by-step. His taxonomy actually *adds* to an understanding of how the fallacy works and is never employed excessively or without purpose (cough ... powerscore ... cough). He gives tons of examples that read very much like LR stimuli.
I've started reading this book too. Its an interesting read and has helped me understand some forms of argument better. I'm a business major and never really had much experience with arguments.

Its helped me understand stuff in the LRB better. Its about 300 pages and can be read casually in a couple days

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:35 pm

SkiBumLawyer wrote:
Sesame_Jesus wrote:
I've started reading this book too. Its an interesting read and has helped me understand some forms of argument better. I'm a business major and never really had much experience with arguments.

Its helped me understand stuff in the LRB better. Its about 300 pages and can be read casually in a couple days
Where did you get it, amazon?

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:30 pm

SkiBumLawyer wrote:
Sesame_Jesus wrote:

LR is my strongest section but I am still getting 3-4 wrong there, would you recommend the LRB?

Stanley Otto Swift

New

Post by Stanley Otto Swift » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:35 am

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
SkiBumLawyer wrote:
Sesame_Jesus wrote:

Where did you get it, amazon?
Also check out Logic Made Easy by Deborah Bennett.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:57 am

+1 on Douglas M. Walton. You guys are making me want to retake the LSAT :wink: REally.

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:58 am

You can also read a list of logical fallacies on wikipedia. It is actually quite extensive, and more detailed than the LR Bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:45 pm

JJim1919 wrote:You can also read a list of logical fallacies on wikipedia. It is actually quite extensive, and more detailed than the LR Bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
great link, thanks

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 pm

Any tips for retakers who have used up most of their tests?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thriller219

New

Post by thriller219 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 am

I am in a similar boat. First, I am taking the holistic approach that the OP said. Understanding what to do for the test and innately knowing the general tenets that underlie the test are two different things, and while I knew what to do for the test, I would have been better served if I had had the actual foundation that much of it is built on. And I have to start reading more often too. And take a Xanax before the test next time.

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:21 am

thriller219 wrote:I am in a similar boat. First, I am taking the holistic approach that the OP said. Understanding what to do for the test and innately knowing the general tenets that underlie the test are two different things, and while I knew what to do for the test, I would have been better served if I had had the actual foundation that much of it is built on. And I have to start reading more often too. And take a Xanax before the test next time.
max from the chat? avoid the xanax dude.

180orbust

New

Post by 180orbust » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:41 am

2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

I got this book and read half of it. Its terrible. Extremely poorly written. Lacking in any useful insight. Basically a long-winded explanation of common sense principles and repetitive examples illustrating obvious points. Its a waste of time. If I continued repeating myself and coming up with new ways of phrasing "this book sucks" for 200 pages, then this post would begin to approach the level of significance and usefulness reached by Walton's book. If you enjoy burning books or you prefer the rough scrape of printing paper over conventional toilet paper, then this books is for you!

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:55 pm

180orbust wrote:If I continued repeating myself and coming up with new ways of phrasing "this book sucks" for 200 pages, then this post would begin to approach the level of significance and usefulness reached by Walton's book.
lol ,really that bad huh? And whats up with the Xanax? Does that stuff really help?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 pm

allison34363 wrote:
LR is my strongest section but I am still getting 3-4 wrong there, would you recommend the LRB?
I am in a similiar situation. I just started prepping for the LSAT. I took 3 tests out of a Kaplan book (but didn't read any of their strategies, I just grabbed the book from the library for the PTs).

So, I'm starting off with -3 or -4 on LR. Should I bother reading the LRB, or is it possible that taking enough PTs and reviewing my mistakes will be enough for this section? I'm going to need a lot of work to get LG up to speed, so the less time I spend on LRB the better.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:38 pm

cubswin wrote:
I took 3 tests out of a Kaplan book (but didn't read any of their strategies
Good call.

fs34

New

Post by fs34 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:44 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
cubswin wrote:
I took 3 tests out of a Kaplan book (but didn't read any of their strategies
Good call.
I don't think they are THAT bad for LR. Although I find that most Kaplan explanations consist of "out of scope" lol

esperanzax

New

Post by esperanzax » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:10 pm

I took a Kaplan course and it was the biggest waste of money EVER. I wish I could get it back..Grrr :evil:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:09 pm

esperanzax wrote:I took a Kaplan course and it was the biggest waste of money EVER. I wish I could get it back..Grrr :evil:
yeah I would have rather still had my $1000+

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:30 pm

That's your fault for not doing research.

idiothek

New

Post by idiothek » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:40 pm

180orbust wrote:2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

I got this book and read half of it. Its terrible. Extremely poorly written. Lacking in any useful insight. Basically a long-winded explanation of common sense principles and repetitive examples illustrating obvious points. Its a waste of time. If I continued repeating myself and coming up with new ways of phrasing "this book sucks" for 200 pages, then this post would begin to approach the level of significance and usefulness reached by Walton's book. If you enjoy burning books or you prefer the rough scrape of printing paper over conventional toilet paper, then this books is for you!
the test examines the test-takers' formal AND informal logic skills. LR and RC test both (although mostly informal), lg tests formal. that being said, one would need to have a firm grasp on both in order to maximize one's score.

as for the review of walton's book... let me just say that i had a very different experience with it. I started off averaging -6 on each LR section. i went through both the LR bible and walton's book, and now i'm at about -3 or -2 in each section. of course, i still have a long way to go before i perfect LR, but i think the combination has been very useful in MY experience.

cameronfraser88

New

Post by cameronfraser88 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:57 pm

idiothek wrote:
180orbust wrote:2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

the test examines the test-takers' formal AND informal logic skills. LR and RC test both (although mostly informal), lg tests formal. that being said, one would need to have a firm grasp on both in order to maximize one's score.

as for the review of walton's book... let me just say that i had a very different experience with it. I started off averaging -6 on each LR section. i went through both the LR bible and walton's book, and now i'm at about -3 or -2 in each section. of course, i still have a long way to go before i perfect LR, but i think the combination has been very useful in MY experience.
And this goes for my future experience too that I haven't experienced yet because I'm waiting on that damn book.

HALLO THIS IS LSAT LOGIC IN EVERYDAY LIFE IM ADAM BRODY

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”