How I got a perfect score on the LSAT. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JDewey

New

How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Post by JDewey » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Thought I would give my bit of advice. I took a more holistic than most people I think.

Here are my top three bits of advice.

1) Read all different kinds of information. I would read The Economist, The Smithsonian, and Scientific American, daily. I think this is what helped the most, and reading should be a top priority. You can re-wire the neurons in your brain to better handle written words if you read all the time. Most people's brains are probably set in "T.V. Mode" and unfortunately there is no video section on the LSAT. Turn off the television, start reading dense material, this will help you across the board not just on the reading comprehension section.

2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

3) When you are studying, figure out why each answer choice was wrong, as well as why the correct one was in fact correct. This is kind of common sense but the tediousness of doing this causes it to be often ignored.

Cheers

blhblahblah

Bronze

Post by blhblahblah » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:59 pm

Solid advice.

brokendowncar

Bronze

Post by brokendowncar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:13 pm

1. While somewhat good advice, it would only be well advised if you start heeding this advice incredibly early. A month or two of reading isn't going to be as beneficial as putting that extra time into actual LSAT practice would be.

2. Again, decent advice for sophomore year or something, but I think actual LSAT prep should be more focused.

3. I strongly agree with this point.

While the first two points might help someone go from a 176 to a 180 if they read it two years prior to the test, I doubt it is the information that would be most helpful for general exam prep. Just my two cents.

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:21 pm

great advice. sophmore year i got by with very little reading, when i started studying for the lsat, reading everyday like that for 2 or 3 months provided me with a big boost. people always underestimate how quickly your speed and comprehension improves if you read even 15 to 30 minutes a day.

rucoach

New

Post by rucoach » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:22 pm

As a fellow 180, I strongly endorse this, most especially point 3. Nothing will help you beat the test as much as coming to understand it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bangalmafia

New

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Post by Bangalmafia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Maybe you were just born with it?

To be honest, I don't think everyone is capable of getting a 180...some are just smarter than others & in this case, much smarter than others.
What a horrible way to kill off self-potential

LoseItToMe

New

Post by LoseItToMe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:26 pm

it's actually a very good way to kill self-potential.

JS1986

New

Post by JS1986 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:28 pm

LoseItToMe wrote:
It's like reading an LSAT problem.

Whether it's horrible or very good, it is still a way to kill self-potential.

prelaw76

New

Post by prelaw76 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:29 pm

It seems like everyone on these forums gets a 180 these days :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alf14997

New

Post by Alf14997 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 pm

This is a self-selecting forum. There is bound to be a large number of extremely high scorers.

USCtrojan86

New

Post by USCtrojan86 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:28 pm

To be honest, I don't think everyone is capable of getting a 180...some are just smarter than others & in this case, much smarter than others.
I completely agree....
For example, my first diag was 162...there's no way I can ever get 180. Goal is 170, upper 160s more feasible. But 180? No way.
...and suddenly, I completely disagree. How can we go from complete agreement to complete disagreement in literally two posts, JS?!

(Note: I cold tested on my first diag last July at a respectable but far from impressive 159. At the end of September, I was regularly testing 175+ (although I admit that I never actually got a hard 180), and even with the usual "performance dip" on game day I came out with a 173.)

I am far from a genius. Going from high 150's to 170's is definitely not unheard of, and you cold tested 3 points higher than I did, which means you are probably good at Logic Games (which is what continually haunted me and ultimately "did me in", if you can call it that, on the real thing.)

If you really cold tested on a real LSAT at 162, I think 175+ is probably very much within your grasp if you work for it, and you are in a better position than most to luck out and hit a 180 on game day.

JS1986

New

Post by JS1986 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:24 am

USCtrojan86 wrote: ...and suddenly, I completely disagree. How can we go from complete agreement to complete disagreement in literally two posts, JS?!

(Note: I cold tested on my first diag last July at a respectable but far from impressive 159. At the end of September, I was regularly testing 175+ (although I admit that I never actually got a hard 180), and even with the usual "performance dip" on game day I came out with a 173.)

I am far from a genius. Going from high 150's to 170's is definitely not unheard of, and you cold tested 3 points higher than I did, which means you are probably good at Logic Games (which is what continually haunted me and ultimately "did me in", if you can call it that, on the real thing.)

If you really cold tested on a real LSAT at 162, I think 175+ is probably very much within your grasp if you work for it, and you are in a better position than most to luck out and hit a 180 on game day.
Actually games are my worst section, which is ironic considering my major. I'm a turd at games. Reading Comp is my best section by far. (This is reflective of my past testing experience. On the ACT back in the day I rocked the English & Reading Comp sections (36/36) but did garbage in math (28?29))

But supposedly games are the easiest to master after work. It's a shame they suck.

The reason why I'm skeptical about huge increases is because the max increase I know of in person is 10 points, and they tested in the 140s on their diagnostic so it's a lot easier for them to gain points than someone testing in high 150s or early 160s.

Lyrrad

New

Post by Lyrrad » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm

It's certainly possible to gain 10 points. I went from 171 (first diag, after reading Kaplan book) to 180 on the test (-2). This was over 5-6 weeks, so I didn't have too much time to prepare, but here is what I did:

1) Read PowerScore Logic Games/Logical Reasoning Bibles
2) Do PrepTests under timed conditions (Used the LSAT Proctor DVD)
3) For LR/RC, understand exactly why the correct response is right and the wrong responses are wrong for all questions you get wrong/are unsure about.
4) Practice LG until you get all of them right, every time.

I feel that these steps are essential to get the last few points out of the LSAT. You cannot just go with intuition to figure out the correct answers for the hardest questions, but rather instinctively analyze each question properly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JS1986

New

Post by JS1986 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:38 pm

What is the LSAT proctor dvd? Some dude on video who times you ?

Lyrrad

New

Post by Lyrrad » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Yes. http://www.lsatproctor.com/

I found it helpful to get my timing down and to know what to expect on test day. Previous to that I was using an online stopwatch to time myself.

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:15 pm

I love Alf!

brutus

New

Post by brutus » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:07 am

LoseItToMe wrote:
Rather nerd of me to laugh at this, but it gave me quite a chuckle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bangalmafia

New

Post by Bangalmafia » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:13 am

You must be freakin kidding me.

prelaw76

New

Post by prelaw76 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Alf14997 wrote:This is a self-selecting forum. There is bound to be a large number of extremely high scorers.
That's true, but three 180's in a single thread?

JDewey

New

Post by JDewey » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:17 pm

I have always been pretty good on tests luckily, and I don't think that being comfortable with tests is something that can be taught, learned or acquired maybe, but not taught.

The LSAT is concerned with a pretty specific group of skills, if you can narrow down your focus to just these skills, a 20-25 point increase is not impossible, and I would even consider it likely if you do things right.

prelaw76

New

Post by prelaw76 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 pm

The LSAT is concerned with a pretty specific group of skills, if you can narrow down your focus to just these skills, a 20-25 point increase is not impossible, and I would even consider it likely if you do things right.
This is a good point. If you can identify your weaknesses, you can easily fix them and significantly increase your score.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lyrrad

New

Post by Lyrrad » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:45 pm

prelaw76 wrote:
Alf14997 wrote:This is a self-selecting forum. There is bound to be a large number of extremely high scorers.
That's true, but three 180's in a single thread?
1) I'm sure that a significant proportion of the 180's (about 20-40/year) did so because of techniques from online boards such as these.
2) 180's are more likely to be attracted to threads about 180. (Especially if they're procrastinating about getting their applications done by the deadline...)
3) Personally I try to offer input where I can, if I think it can be helpful. As people's practice scores get closer to 180, it becomes harder to improve.

That said, there is a large element of luck involved in getting that high score. But if you are able to be relaxed during the test, and practice well you might be surprised at how well you can do.

gmmathers

New

Post by gmmathers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:04 am

It's a shame they suck.
I love logic games. It's where I look for my guaranteed -0 section. If the entire test were 101 points of LG, I'd bet the mortgage on a 180.

The best part is that when you select an answer choice, for the most part, you are positive it is correct. The rules are right in front of you. LR and RC have that underlying ambiguity in which meanings can be misinterpreted and answers could be right for different reasons

Seems like every other thread has someone saying how hard logic games are and that they're loosing massive points on that section. If this is you, feel free to PM me with any game that really trips you up and I'll advise on how to break that type easily.

SeekingHeight

New

Post by SeekingHeight » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 am

For example, my first diag was 162...there's no way I can ever get 180.
I'm going to mimic Trojan here and disagree with you, if only in principle. I mean, maybe your diagnostic was wildly inaccurate and you should have scored a 140. However, a 162 is a very good initial diagnostic. Think about it: You're scoring around the 90th percentile cold. That's fantastic. It tells me that you have a very firm grip on many core LSAT concepts. Thus, with refinement and commitment, you should be able to push your score into the 99th percentile. Even a 180 cannot be considered unfeasible.

Like Trojan, I am not a genius, nor am I brilliant. Yet I scored a very high. I had to earn every single point from my initial 157 diagnostic. Did I doubt myself? Repeatedly. We like to justify our pessimism by dressing it as reality, but remember reality is that normal joes such as Trojan and I scored well. I don't know Trojan's LSAT story, but I'll tell you that hard work and a smart strategy are powerful tools in the hands of a determined individual.
Last edited by SeekingHeight on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brokendowncar

Bronze

Post by brokendowncar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm

My cold diag was only a few points higher than a 162, and I hit 180 several times in practice and was all of one question away from a 180 on the real thing. It is definitely doable, and you shouldn't settle for anything other than a 175+.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”