How I got a perfect score on the LSAT. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Woozy

Bronze

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Post by Woozy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 am

skip james wrote:
Woozy wrote:That is a good and detailed write-up. There is only one problem I saw which the author may wish to correct:
Ken wrote:10. A greater proportion of high school students these days are lazy compared with earlier generations. Industriousness is both necessary and sufficient for academic success, and lazy students are never industrious.

Which of the following can be properly concluded, assuming the statements above are true:
(A) Blah blah blah
(B) Yada yada yada
(C) A greater proportion of high school students these days will find it impossible to succeed academically.
(D) A smaller proportion of students are industrious these days than in earlier generations.
(E) More high school students these days will not succeed in life.

Since this is question number 10 it’s still relatively easy, so we were able to quickly narrow the choices down to two. Yet, because it’s question 10, and we’re trying to finish the first ten in ten minutes, we’re moving quickly and may miss a key word or two. At first glance, D may actually appear more correct than C because its language isn’t as “strong” and it requires fewer logical steps, but I hope you noticed that D is talking about all students. C correctly limits itself to high school students.
The general point of this passage is useful, but it immediately struck me that C cannot be properly inferred from the stimulus. We don't know the incidence of industriousness among non-lazy students so we cannot conclude that the population as a whole has a lower incidence of industriousness. If the last sentence were changed to read that a student is not industrious if and only if he is lazy, this problem would be solved.
i don't think that actually solves the problem. i think there's a problem in the fact that 'being lazier compared to earlier generations' doesn't necessarily entail being 'a lazy student'.

here's a parallel argument where what im talking about may be more evident:

the majority of the lakers these days are worse at dunking than the lakers of earlier years. one can succeed academically if and only if they are industrious. people who are bad at dunking aren't industrious.
I don't see it that way. In his example, I read lazy as a binary condition. You are either lazy or not lazy. And a higher proportion of students are now lazy. I'd change your example to:

A higher percentage of the lakers these days are bad at dunking than the lakers of earlier years. One can succeed academically if and only if they are industrious. people who are bad at dunking aren't industrious.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 am

Woozy wrote: I don't see it that way. In his example, I read lazy as a binary condition. You are either lazy or not lazy. And a higher proportion of students are now lazy. I'd change your example to:

A higher percentage of the lakers these days are bad at dunking than the lakers of earlier years. One can succeed academically if and only if they are industrious. people who are bad at dunking aren't industrious.
i just think there's a difference between these two sentences:

1) bob is bad at dunking
2) bob is bad at dunking compared to nick

in 1 the guy is bad at dunking. in 2 the guy is worse than someone else, which doesn't necessitate that bob is 'actually' bad at dunking, merely he can't be the best at it.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:06 am

skip james wrote:
Woozy wrote: I don't see it that way. In his example, I read lazy as a binary condition. You are either lazy or not lazy. And a higher proportion of students are now lazy. I'd change your example to:

1) bob is bad at dunking

in 1 the guy is bad at dunking. in 2 the guy is worse than someone else, which doesn't necessitate that bob is 'actually' bad at dunking, merely he can't be the best at it.
Of course there is a difference between your two sentences. However, we are talking about this sentence:

"A greater proportion of high school students these days are lazy compared with earlier generations."

I am saying "compared with" in this context is referring to the percentage of students with the quality of being lazy. It is not referring to the amount of laziness possessed by any student. I read it to mean: laziness is a yes/no question. when you compare the percentages of lazy students, the recent generation has a higher percent of "yes" than earlier generations. I do not read it to mean: when you compare students, an individual student from the recent generation would score higher on a laziness quotient test. If you read it the latter way, the "greater proportion" phrase has no purpose in the sentence.

Do you see the difference? It is not "students now are lazier." It is "more students now are lazy."

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 am

Ah... I see what you're saying.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:47 pm

skip james wrote:

1) bob is bad at dunking

I agree but what is your actual point?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vivalalsat

New

Post by vivalalsat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Someone mentioned the RC Bible being good. Can you elaborate?

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:24 am

vivalalsat wrote:Someone mentioned the RC Bible being good. Can you elaborate?
Dont think I mentioned that, but: it has a lot of RECENT RCs. Powerscore recycles the 2004 in a lot of material, and I think using the other recent years can hurt you because you'll want to see how you do on a blind-testing of the recent PTs.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 am

I liked the RC Bible... it just gives you a great breakdown of things to look for and identify when reading, especially the author's viewpoint.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:37 am

Try this, it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/majorgeneraldave#p/u

If the link does not work, try searching for the majorgeneraldave channel

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:00 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Try this, it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/majorgeneraldave#p/u

If the link does not work, try searching for the majorgeneraldave channel
Cool videos... do you know his credentials though?

vivalalsat

New

Post by vivalalsat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 pm

allison34363 wrote:I liked the RC Bible... it just gives you a great breakdown of things to look for and identify when reading, especially the author's viewpoint.
I could have told you that, lol.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:03 pm

vivalalsat wrote:
allison34363 wrote:I liked the RC Bible... it just gives you a great breakdown of things to look for and identify when reading, especially the author's viewpoint.
I could have told you that, lol.
You can preview the book on Amazon if you want...

Actually it's not letting me do that anymore sorry.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:29 am

Waiting on the score, may be finally done with this lsat crap.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ljbc03

New

Post by ljbc03 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:49 pm

For those of you who went from a 170 to a higher score after retake,
what did you do when you ran out of materials after studying for the first time?

I assume some of you did most of the practice tests to prepare the best way possible for the 1st test. So what did you do upon studying for the retake?

I'm stuck at this hurdle. While logic reasoning i can go over and over and learn something new, the RC and logic games are easy once i've done them a few times, so repeating PTs seems like an inaccurate gauge of my abilities as I continue to study for retake. Pls help.

Thnx!

abbas123

Bronze

Post by abbas123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 am

I'd like to know also - retaking is tough!

abbas123

Bronze

Post by abbas123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:58 pm

anyone?

Shrimps

Bronze

Post by Shrimps » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54 pm

abbas123 wrote:I'd like to know also - retaking is tough!
ljbc03 took this question to a separate thread. I suggested using the RC and LR portions of the GMAT test - they're pretty similar to LSAT. And I personally am trying to find any puzzle books that have puzzles similar to LSAT logic games that I could practice on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abbas123

Bronze

Post by abbas123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:59 pm

ah ok thanks ill look into that

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm

ljbc03 wrote:For those of you who went from a 170 to a higher score after retake,
what did you do when you ran out of materials after studying for the first time?

I assume some of you did most of the practice tests to prepare the best way possible for the 1st test. So what did you do upon studying for the retake?

I'm stuck at this hurdle. While logic reasoning i can go over and over and learn something new, the RC and logic games are easy once i've done them a few times, so repeating PTs seems like an inaccurate gauge of my abilities as I continue to study for retake. Pls help.

Thnx!
You used EVERY preptest out there? I highly doubt this.

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Lyrrad wrote: That said, there is a large element of luck involved in getting that high score. But if you are able to be relaxed during the test, and practice well you might be surprised at how well you can do.
What advice do you offer where relaxation and/or sleeping the night before the test are concerned? These are absolutely killing me during administrations.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 am

Snuffie wrote:
Lyrrad wrote: That said, there is a large element of luck involved in getting that high score. But if you are able to be relaxed during the test, and practice well you might be surprised at how well you can do.
What advice do you offer where relaxation and/or sleeping the night before the test are concerned? These are absolutely killing me during administrations.
Ambien and chamomile tea!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:33 am

I thought sleeping aids limit REM sleep therefore actually obstruct your brain from consolidating daily intake of short term memories into long term memories (or discarding them)? I thought sleeping aids help you physically rest and regenerate but actually makes your brain more fatigued and disorganized (from the lack of REM sleep)?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:35 am

allison34363 wrote:
I used every preptest before my first take this weekend. There are not THAT many of them.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
allison34363 wrote:
I used every preptest before my first take this weekend. There are not THAT many of them.
Redo them.

vivalalsat

New

Post by vivalalsat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
allison34363 wrote:
What was your score on these tests? Taking preptests is a good indicator of how you will perform on test day, so unless you royally screwed things up on test day, you should have known you would not score well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”