Manhattan LG In/Out and One or the Other Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Darmody

Bronze

Manhattan LG In/Out and One or the Other

Post by Darmody » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:46 am

What do you guys think about their approach to these conditional grouping games? Do you use the T-chart and draw the lines? Do you find them effective? Or do you just stick to diagramming the conditionals, similar to the Powerscore methods?

I just started the Manhattan T-chart method and it seems more confusing, but I can see why it would be more effective if done properly and quickly. I was wondering if it was worth the time to adapt to this or if others find the regular conditional diagramming to be just as efficient, if not more.

scandk

Bronze

Re: Manhattan LG In/Out and One or the Other

Post by scandk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Regular conditional statements work just fine, and are less confusing. At least, that's how I feel.

DivineJustice

New

Post by DivineJustice » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I personally use Powerscore's method but I think the T-chart way is a little too confusing and time consuming with the way of how I think. At least that was the dinosaur game in preptest 57. I looked at 7sages method for doing that game and it was a t-chart approach, one that I found not as efficient for me to use.

kiyoku

Bronze

Post by kiyoku » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 pm

I almost immediately passed it off as unnecessary and I haven't used it enough to say for sure.

But I did try it a few times and saw the benefit. It certainly helps to breeze through certain types of questions and once you understand the visual structure of it all, i think that for some people out there, it will beat out the conditional statement method.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:50 am

Darmody wrote:What do you guys think about their approach to these conditional grouping games? Do you use the T-chart and draw the lines? Do you find them effective? Or do you just stick to diagramming the conditionals, similar to the Powerscore methods?

I just started the Manhattan T-chart method and it seems more confusing, but I can see why it would be more effective if done properly and quickly. I was wondering if it was worth the time to adapt to this or if others find the regular conditional diagramming to be just as efficient, if not more.
If you're successful with just writing out conditionals, go for it. We actually discuss that and the t-char in our book as viable strategies worth practicing once or twice. However, the useful thing about mastering the logic chain is that your conditionals are already linked up, and you have a view of the entire array of elements, which can help with questions related to numbers. Definitely the most time-consuming of our LG strategies to master, but for many it's the most useful.

Nooblarzlarz

Bronze

Post by Nooblarzlarz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:02 am

One small change with grouping games has gotten me to consistent -0 on LG. For most of my studies, I was doing in/out grouping games the way it's denoted in the PS LGB 2008 version (not ever writing down the variables that are out given a hypothetical). Now, I just list the conditionals, and then for each question, I'll plug the info in and write BOTH what is IN and what is OUT. It takes maybe 5-10 seconds, but saved me large amounts of time and boosted my accuracy to 100% on answering the questions.

Basically, for in/out games and overloaded defined games, writing down what is out can turn even daunting games into quick work as long as you are comfortable with conditional statements.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”