Noise Levels and How They Affect Your LSAT Studying

femmefatale

Noise Levels and How They Affect Your LSAT Studying

Postby femmefatale » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Do you think that there is an ideal noise level that one should pursue when finding a good study spot?

I've found that I study better when in environments that have "white noise" or are mildly active.
Ex: Coffee Shops, parks, Business lounges etc.

I've heard people encourage individuals to study in areas where little to some disruption is expected, just in case some sort of disruption takes place at one's test center.

I've also heard others say that it's a bad idea to study in public places. (Coffee shops were specifically singled out)

What are your general thoughts/opinions on this topic?

Pancakes12

Re: Noise Levels and How They Affect Your LSAT Studying

Postby Pancakes12 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:32 pm

When I was studying I wasn't sure about this either so I took PTs in a variety of places. Mainly the quiet floor of the library because I'm someone who needs silence, but also some in a coffee shop to prepare myself for distraction. In the end in didn't make much of a difference.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:58 pm

I tend to take PTs in cafes (starbucks, panera etc.). I feel I'm more comfortable taking them with some noise and moderate/mild distractions. Hell, today, I was like a couple inches away from a couple people and their intense business meeting. Maybe this simulates a situation where a couple proctors are having a bothersome conversation. In any case, I may try doing a couple in the library, but I don't want to give myself any artificial advantage that's not generally there on test day. Sure, it's possible that you could get more or less complete silence, but the odds seem to be against it.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 pm

I took several of my PTs in Starbucks and Public libraries and others in quiet places. To be completely honest, this was an entirely irrelevant factor -- my testing site of Univ. of Tenn for the June 2013 was absolutely quiet as can be. In fact before we took the test, the proctors said anyone who was tapping their pencil or tapping their foot would be thrown out of the testing facility, i'm guessing that was probably a factor in the absolute silence but I'm pretty sure sites do as much as they can to mitigate noise when possible (i.e. there's nothing they can do if construction is going on across the street or sirens run by the street etc.).

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 pm

^^^ So all in all, I'd say it's good to take at least a couple PTs in a library, but one shouldn't take most, or all of their PTs in a library, because after all.....we wouldn't have the funny stories at the LSAT thread or whatever it's called if there weren't distractions.

DivineJustice

Postby DivineJustice » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I tried doing an LG section at the library today. It didn't work out as well as I thought considering two people kept talking about homework behind me. I think I'll just keep sections for at home or maybe some free time at work.

hukchobo

Postby hukchobo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 pm

I found that although practicing with distraction may seem to help you for the actual test, constant "white noise" does nothing to prepare me. Id rather study in a very quiet location where it'll have the random and unexpected noise distractions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”