How early is to early to start prepping for lsat?

gopats

How early is to early to start prepping for lsat?

Postby gopats » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 am

Im going into my freshmen year of collage, can I start doing little things now to start prepping for lsat? or would that just be an over kill, because I know im not going to take it till the summer before my senior year but still, if it helps why not?

vracovino

Re: How early is to early to start prepping for lsat?

Postby vracovino » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 am

I just started studying lightly a few weeks ago. I'm planning to take the coming June LSAT.

The real problem with starting prep so early is that there is a limited amount of resources for you to study. It is widely understood that the best method of prep is practicing real questions and real tests- and I wouldn't reccomend tapping into that material so early.

That being said, if you want to learn some strategy and familiarize yourself a bit with the material, reading through the Powerscore Bibles/Manhattan Books probably wouldn't hurt. Just know you'll probably have to read them again later down the road :)

gopats

Postby gopats » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks!

ket310

Postby ket310 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:26 am

As a freshman, getting high GPA, like 3.9+ is the best prep. You can use your sophomore summer or junior summer for lsat.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 am

gopats wrote:Im going into my freshmen year of collage, can I start doing little things now to start prepping for lsat? or would that just be an over kill, because I know im not going to take it till the summer before my senior year but still, if it helps why not?

Getting as close to a 4.0 GPA in college will be far more beneficial than any studying for the LSAT you could do right now. A high GPA will keep a lot of doors open and help with eventual scholarship opportunitirs. You're also too young to be focusing on law school. Pick a major where you can find employment in case law school doesn't work out.

oxie

Postby oxie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm

If your school offers one, you might want to take an "Introduction to Logic" class at some point (at my university it was offered through the philosophy department). The logic class I took was great for exposing me to the type of thinking that is tested on the LSAT. It was also a really good way to test whether I actually enjoyed/excelled at logical reasoning.

Other than that, I agree with the other posters -- just focus on getting a good GPA and enjoying college!

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:32 pm

oxie wrote:If your school offers one, you might want to take an "Introduction to Logic" class at some point (at my university it was offered through the philosophy department). The logic class I took was great for exposing me to the type of thinking that is tested on the LSAT. It was also a really good way to test whether I actually enjoyed/excelled at logical reasoning.

Other than that, I agree with the other posters -- just focus on getting a good GPA and enjoying college!

First off, going into freshman year is too early. As everyone else mentioned, there is a limited amount of test material and you don't want to exhaust it a year before you take the test. Also, a lot of people change their life goals during their first two years of undergrad. Keep an open mind and think about what you really want to do. And try to have a high GPA because it helps out tons with law school admissions and opens you up to a lot more opportunities.

Second, the logic class is a good idea but "helping with the LSAT" should be a secondary concern if you consider taking it. For example, I took my college logic class because I needed it for a graduation requirement and it was an easy A for me since I'm good at that stuff. It helped a little bit for the LSAT, but everything that you need to know about logic for the LSAT can be found in a prep book.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm

oxie wrote:If your school offers one, you might want to take an "Introduction to Logic" class at some point (at my university it was offered through the philosophy department). The logic class I took was great for exposing me to the type of thinking that is tested on the LSAT. It was also a really good way to test whether I actually enjoyed/excelled at logical reasoning.

I second this. Also do some bullshit teaching English oversees or whatever job for a year too. The stupid law school admissions people like that shit and it would probably be fun.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

I second this. Also do some bullshit teaching English oversees or whatever job for a year too. The stupid law school admissions people like that shit and it would probably be fun.

lolll at the law school admissions people =)

if GPA were to be guaranteed at a high 3.95+, then sure why not take a look at the LSATs? I don't like the idea of saying to someone that it's too early to study something judging by my own standards.

But chances are, getting a GPA that high is difficult and so it's well-worth the extra time investment.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:56 am

ket310 wrote:As a freshman, getting high GPA, like 3.9+ is the best prep. You can use your sophomore summer or junior summer for lsat.

This! Get all As and make life easy for yourself later on.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 am

Don't even THINK about the lsat for a few years. There are only so many released LSATs and wasting them now wouldn't do much good. Get straight A's, work on being a strong reader, and most importantly pick a major that has good employment outcomes outside of law. There is a shot the legal market continues declining, and you would like to have options.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”