LSAT Private Tutor

mgjl

LSAT Private Tutor

Postby mgjl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:53 am

I am registered to take the Oct. 2013 LSAT; however, I need a private tutor. Anyone know of a good tutor around Miami?

ScottRiqui

Re: LSAT Private Tutor

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 am

mgjl wrote:I am registered to take the Oct. 2013 LSAT; however, I need a private tutor. Anyone know of a good tutor around Miami?

If you're motivated at all, you might do better with self-study, especially if you and your tutor don't have the same expectations of what a "good" score is. There are a lot of resources out there, and lots of good advice here in the forums.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 am

mgjl wrote:I am registered to take the Oct. 2013 LSAT; however, I need a private tutor. Anyone know of a good tutor around Miami?

If you cannot find a good tutor in Miami, I tutor people on Skype that are not near me. It works almost as well over skype as in person.

scandk

Postby scandk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:51 pm

Jeffort wrote:

If you cannot find a good tutor in Miami, I tutor people on Skype that are not near me. It works almost as well over skype as in person.

Hi Jeffort. I'm interested;

1) How much do you charge per hour?
2) Do you have packages, or is it hours a la carte?
3) What did you get on the LSAT?
4) How much experience do you have with the test?
5) Do you have testimonials that I could read? Or, can you tell me what score increases your students usually experience?
6) Are the bulk of your tutees on the lower end of the scoring scale, or mid-high?

Some background on me: I'm still in undergrad, and am considering recieving tutoring during the school year. I'm shooting for a 175+. My cold diagnostic was a 157, and my most recent PT (~2 weeks ago) was a 166. I've read the Powerscore LGB and LRB, and am working through the Manhattan books, almost finished. I'm then planning on working through the BP LG book and The LSAT Trainer, so that by the time school starts up again, I'll have gone through all the books, and can just worry about drilling via the Cambridge packets and taking PTs. My original plan was to enroll in a course during the fall semester, but if I'm PTing ~170 by then, I'm not really sure what a course would do for me. So, that explains my interest in tutoring. Thanks in advance for your time!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:37 pm

scandk wrote:
Jeffort wrote:

Hi Jeffort. I'm interested;

1) How much do you charge per hour?
2) Do you have packages, or is it hours a la carte?
3) What did you get on the LSAT?
4) How much experience do you have with the test?
5) Do you have testimonials that I could read? Or, can you tell me what score increases your students usually experience?
6) Are the bulk of your tutees on the lower end of the scoring scale, or mid-high?

Some background on me: I'm still in undergrad, and am considering recieving tutoring during the school year. I'm shooting for a 175+. My cold diagnostic was a 157, and my most recent PT (~2 weeks ago) was a 166. I've read the Powerscore LGB and LRB, and am working through the Manhattan books, almost finished. I'm then planning on working through the BP LG book and The LSAT Trainer, so that by the time school starts up again, I'll have gone through all the books, and can just worry about drilling via the Cambridge packets and taking PTs. My original plan was to enroll in a course during the fall semester, but if I'm PTing ~170 by then, I'm not really sure what a course would do for me. So, that explains my interest in tutoring. Thanks in advance for your time!

Since you have already boosted your score range to the mid 160s with self study, taking a prep class later in the fall will probably not teach you much of anything that you will not have already covered in the prep books you mentioned. Classes are mainly meant to teach the fundamentals from the ground up to people that do not want to learn them through solitary self study, whereas tutoring is meant to be individually tailored to your specific weaknesses after you have already been prepping somehow.

We should discuss rates via PM rather than in an open thread. I do offer packages or a la carte. I scored 177 when I took the LSAT and my first practice test score before any prep was 151, so I personally know what it takes and what it is like to substantially increase ones score. I've been teaching and tutoring people how to do well on the LSAT for over 12 years now, so I have a lot of experience. Students I've worked with over the years have experienced significant score increases. Many students I've worked with have achieved high scores all the way up into the high 170s. I don't have a personal web page with student testimonials but my post history here and on two other LSAT discussion forums (jeffort username on all of them) is extensive with feedback from many students and lots of advice I've posted over the years so that you can get an idea about me and my LSAT expertise. I've worked with students from all over the scoring scale, both low scoring and high scoring when I start with them, so I know how to evaluate students current LSAT skills and needs in order to tailor the tutoring to their situation in a way that will help them improve performance from their current level.

PM for more info and if you have more questions about tutoring with me.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:15 pm

pm sent

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:47 pm

homie1515 wrote:pm sent

To me? If so, I didn't receive it.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 am

A lot of us old high scorers offer tutoring over skype. In person is better, but Skype can definitely work.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:33 am

Hey Noodley one, I'm curious, why do you say in person is better? I do a lot of Skype tutoring and find there's very little difference.

Mind you, most of the people that come to me want to work on LR (they've already perfected games), and that section is basically just talking. But I find even game work quite well. I use an iPad to draw, and screensharing software lets them see it instantly.

What disadvantages did you find, or what did you want to do but couldn't?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:03 pm

Graeme (Hacking the LSAT) wrote:Hey Noodley one, I'm curious, why do you say in person is better? I do a lot of Skype tutoring and find there's very little difference.

Mind you, most of the people that come to me want to work on LR (they've already perfected games), and that section is basically just talking. But I find even game work quite well. I use an iPad to draw, and screensharing software lets them see it instantly.

What disadvantages did you find, or what did you want to do but couldn't?

Nothing major, just the lack of having someone in the room with you. Maybe I'm just old, but I always prefer real human interaction versus virtual.

ptittle

Postby ptittle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 pm

I was surprised to find tutoring by skype or phone went better than in person; we're both focusing solely on the arguments in front of us, no distractions by body language, etc.

LG a little harder, but certainly do-able.

The only thing I've found is difficulty working with someone who's hard to interrupt - they don't see you madly waving your hands while they go off in the wrong direction and they keep going and going until you shout...!

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:11 am

Actually, ptittle, I found the same. My skype sessions are usually more productive than in person sessions. Lower distractions, and students also tend to find their questions faster. They have the tests on their computer, so if they're asking about PT 53, S3, Q 17, it's really easy to find.

In person, sometimes I spend much of my time waiting for a student to rummage through their paper and find the question.

My guess is that having to tell me which questions they want to go over forces the Skype students to be better organized.

I fortunately have avoided any babblers. Though I use video, so that might be why. They can see me if I start gesticulating wildly.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am

Graeme (Hacking the LSAT) wrote:In person, sometimes I spend much of my time waiting for a student to rummage through their paper and find the question.

My guess is that having to tell me which questions they want to go over forces the Skype students to be better organized.

I actually find little difference between in-person and Skype tutoring in general, as well as re: how organized they are. Anyone can write down a list of questions with relevant page numbers prior to a tutoring session.

I have found that what works for my students to avoid mixing up papers is stapling, paper clips, binder clips, etc.

This is just anecdotal, but I do find a positive correlation between general LSAT aptitude and how organized students are. It may have something to do with how seriously they take their LSAT studying.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:44 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Graeme (Hacking the LSAT) wrote:In person, sometimes I spend much of my time waiting for a student to rummage through their paper and find the question.

I actually find little difference between in-person and Skype tutoring in general, as well as re: how organized they are. Anyone can write down a list of questions with relevant page numbers prior to a tutoring session.

I have found that what works for my students to avoid mixing up papers is stapling, paper clips, binder clips, etc.

This is just anecdotal, but I do find a positive correlation between general LSAT aptitude and how organized students are. It may have something to do with how seriously they take their LSAT studying.

For a contrary anecdote... I am disorganized as hell and did well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”