Do I have enough time?

azditamo

Do I have enough time?

Postby azditamo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 am

I just finished reading ps lr and I am going to be moving into MLSAT and then I will be switching back and forth between those two companies untill I read all their materials. After that I pan on drilling and reading some other book like lsat trainer. My question is do you guys think I have enough time to prepare for the October test or should I plan for the December test? I want to get a 170 and the last time I took a pt I got a 150.

Also off topic but I really want to know if there is any merit to this, is it true if you are a URM you don't technically need to score a 170+. Mind you I don't really care regardless if that's true or not I want a 170+ because I am capable of doing so but if it true I just want to know why.

Jeffort

Re: Do I have enough time?

Postby Jeffort » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 am

Why are you waiting until after you read all the books to start drilling? You should be drilling each question type/game type after you study the relevant chapter about them in the prep book before moving onto the next chapter about a different question type or whatever.

Switching back and forth juggling different books and wanting to do all that before getting into doing a bunch of practice questions for drilling practice and review is a mistake.

Reading several different prep books about the same stuff doesn't make you better at the LSAT, practicing application of what you learned by drilling and reviewing questions is what gets you better. If you insist on reading different books about the same stuff, at least read the relevant similar chapters from both (or all three?) back to back since they are about the same stuff. That way you'll read, for instance, the MLSAT LR chapter about strengthen and weaken questions right after reading the LRB chapters about the same types and get to see the two different ways of talking about the same stuff together so it hopefully clicks in your mind better.

Right now you have enough time to adequately prepare for the October test if you use your time wisely. You should spend less time trying to read every good prep book you hear about and spend more time working and reviewing practice questions.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 am

Jeffort wrote:Why are you waiting until after you read all the books to start drilling? You should be drilling each question type/game type after you study the relevant chapter about them in the prep book before moving onto the next chapter about a different question type or whatever.

Switching back and forth juggling different books and wanting to do all that before getting into doing a bunch of practice questions for drilling practice and review is a mistake.

Reading several different prep books about the same stuff doesn't make you better at the LSAT, practicing application of what you learned by drilling and reviewing questions is what gets you better. If you insist on reading different books about the same stuff, at least read the relevant similar chapters from both (or all three?) back to back since they are about the same stuff. That way you'll read, for instance, the MLSAT LR chapter about strengthen and weaken questions right after reading the LRB chapters about the same types and get to see the two different ways of talking about the same stuff together so it hopefully clicks in your mind better.

Right now you have enough time to adequately prepare for the October test if you use your time wisely. You should spend less time trying to read every good prep book you hear about and spend more time working and reviewing practice questions.

This. So much this. Take it from a guy that studied hard, put many hours into prep, took the LSAT 3 times, and STILL didn't reach his goal. Luckily, come December, I can take a 4th time.

Right now, I'm doing each chapter on Manhattan and drilling the relevant packets from Cambridge after I read each chapter. I'm seeing the test in a so much better light.

For example, after I read a chapter about assumption questions, I would drill all of the "necessary assumption" and "sufficient assumption" questions right after. This way, I actually get to practice what I learned.

I neglected drilling questions by type during my LSAT prep. I put way too much time and effort in PTs. Don't be like me.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:20 am

To answer your question, as subjective as it is, I would most definitely push it back to December.

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:41 am

Jeffort wrote:Why are you waiting until after you read all the books to start drilling? You should be drilling each question type/game type after you study the relevant chapter about them in the prep book before moving onto the next chapter about a different question type or whatever.

Well I figured you would want a good foundation and understanding before you attack something. My thought was you would not build something without first understanding how to build it. However I see your point and will drill some assumption questions tonight. I appreciate the help.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 am

You already have a foundation if you read the PS LRB.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”