Final Push.

Bratva

Final Push.

Postby Bratva » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:55 pm

I have been consistently scoring slightly higher than 170. I can't really identify what my problem is since everytime the question types are different and if I do really well on 3 sections, I'll always do not so well on the other one...i was wondering what people did as a final push to help to do better....should I read the bibles again? or just keep on doing PTs. I've done 40 and plus pts already.... i feel like it's useless to keep on doing pts because i'm not improving....and i'd be wasting pts. what should do?
Thanks in advance!

patfeeney

Re: Final Push.

Postby patfeeney » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 am

I think the issue is that you've gotten to the point where you can answer most, but not all, of the questions correctly.
You can get, say 19 out of 20 flaw questions right but that one you miss always gets you. If you can get 9 out of every 10 LR question type correct, you're technically doing fantastic but those occasional mixed ones cost you.

If it's LR that's killing you here, I'd suggest hitting the Cambridge packets again and drilling the hardest questions. Go back to each of your most recent PTs and drill each question type you got wrong, even if you only got one of that type wrong over the past three tests. It's ultimately about turning your thought process into an absolute science and mastering it completely. You can get most of everything right, but now you have to really isolated and really challenge yourself with each specific question type and see what, with that particular type, challenges you. Are there certain Flaw questions that have confusing wordings, throwing you off? If so, how do you approach those wordings to get the right answer?

If it's LG, I'd say redo the games you had trouble with (even if you only got one question wrong) maybe three or four times. It may not be fresh by the second or third time you redo it, but you'll know what to expect and you'll know what threw you off in the beginning. Then, when you take new LG sections, you'll know at least one more trick the LSAT will throw at you.

If it's RC, look at passage type, then question type, then structure type. Are law passages getting you? Are inferences jamming your thought process? Are straight info passages more difficult to comprehend than two-sided arguments? At this point, you need to get really cozy with the passages you've already done, to know exactly what goes on in it and what threw you off, even if it requires some memorization. Like with LG, this will help you identify LSAT curveballs before you've gone too far to fix them.

I hope that makes sense. This is coming from a person who has yet to enter 170 + prep, but this is what I'd guess is necessary to improve.

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am

Hey Thanks! This is actually really helpful and i'm gonna go over the cambridge bundles this week! hopefully it'll be worth it! Good luck with your prep as well!!! If I can help with anything let me know.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:54 pm

I imagine that it may be that you're mental attention has blips here and there. I think that getting used to focusing for a long period of time might help (aside from identifying your inefficiencies or flawed thoughts and fixing them).

Bratva

Postby Bratva » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm

kiyoku wrote:I imagine that it may be that you're mental attention has blips here and there. I think that getting used to focusing for a long period of time might help (aside from identifying your inefficiencies or flawed thoughts and fixing them).

thanks! i'm gonna try to do a couple of 6-section or 8-section tests to try to practice focusing longer :p

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”